using a long gun at pistol ranges

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
This is possibly some of the most difficult shooting you can do. It is hard to manuever, over penetration WILL HAPPEN and bringing the dang thing to bear on a target requires constant attention....Yet...this is what we ask our Soldiers, Airmen, Marines and Sailors to do day in and day out in the midle east. Carbines help but there are still alot of places and ways to get into trouble. Shotguns are great for this...but again...size and manueverability are a factor.

Don't forget about the off set. You're not going to hit were you aim at close distances. I try to take a few shot at closer ranges when ever I go out. Just to keep it fresh in my mind.

I routinely practice with my AR15 at close range (3 to 50 yards). It's great training.

Anyone who uses their rifle for home defense should practice at realistic distances. There would be no shots further than 50' in my home.

One common mistake is to not account for scope height above the bore when very close. This causes bullets to impact up to several inches below point of aim. This also results in people leaving creases in automobile hoods and shooting range benches and punching holes in whatever they were using for cover.

I watched a guy set his range bag on fire while using it as a restfor an AR. Apparently, he forgot about the muzzle flash and his suppressor directs a portion backwards slightly.

Realistic close-to-moderate distance training with a long gun is an important exercise. I practice with both my 20" 12ga and my 16.5" 9mm carbine.

I use the 300M Aperture at close range

0-25M I use the 300M aperture. It puts the bullet hole within an inch or two of Point of Aim and I don't waste time doing math in public! It works for AR's with carry handle height sights, hk91's (G3A3), and FN FAL's
(your results and mileage may vary on french guns like the FAMAS.

I routinely practice with my AR15 at close range (3 to 50 yards). It's great training.

Anyone who uses their rifle for home defense should practice at realistic distances. There would be no shots further than 50' in my home.

One common mistake is to not account for scope height above the bore when very close. This causes bullets to impact up to several inches below point of aim. This also results in people leaving creases in automobile hoods and shooting range benches and punching holes in whatever they were using for cover.

I have CTG and TRD on my Bushmaster A2. Both are zeroed to 25 yards. The iron sights at 100 yards and the ACOG takes over from there. Now over penetration is another story. The 5.56mm 55gr FMJ is armor piercing in it's own right. I hesitate to deploy the AR at home. The 92FS with CTG and nite sites is more than adequate for the task of home defense.

I agree the 5.56mm combined with the length of the gun (my Bushy only has an 11.5" bbl and a CAR stock, and it's still takes some doing maneuvering corners etc).... but just for the penetration alone, I'm leaning heavily on my GSR .45 ACP for INSIDE the home defense.

Property defense - now that's a horse of a different caliber entirely.

Just curious though, as I never use my large aperature/peep, when you guys are training at distances under 25meters, are you using sights when on the move or just looking over the sights and snap-shooting with natural point of aim?

If I have time, I'll use my small peep, but for movement drills for me, it's all over-the-sights shooting - the CAR stock is generally centered in my chest for this so it's just up - pop - down and move... so on from there.

I have done simular training with my G3A3

I agree the 5.56mm combined with the length of the gun (my Bushy only has an 11.5" bbl and a CAR stock, and it's still takes some doing maneuvering corners etc).... but just for the penetration alone, I'm leaning heavily on my GSR .45 ACP for INSIDE the home defense.

Property defense - now that's a horse of a different caliber entirely.

Just curious though, as I never use my large aperature/peep, when you guys are training at distances under 25meters, are you using sights when on the move or just looking over the sights and snap-shooting with natural point of aim?

If I have time, I'll use my small peep, but for movement drills for me, it's all over-the-sights shooting - the CAR stock is generally centered in my chest for this so it's just up - pop - down and move... so on from there.

Shoot and scoot exercises are difficult but fun. I keep the rifle in my shoulder pocket barrel down about 10 deg. and bring up the barrel as I put rounds on target. The hard part is smoothly transitioning from rifle to pistol and back again. I generally don't use the sight at very close range and sight up for longer shots as required.

Coolness abounds....

That's great - and yes, tremendous fun "runnin' and gunnin'."

I'm with you - no sights close. Sight in and drive tacks as permitted at distance.

In your transition drills (AR to Pistol and back again) what kind of sling are you using? Do you use one of the "tactical sling" variations that pretty much keeps your AR either in front and accessible or along your hip or...?

I learned to clip the aft sling swivel to my combat vest in the USAF

I learned to clip the aft sling swivel to my combat vest in the USAF using a large steel carabiner...
It keeps the weapon close to the shooting shoulder,
You can't drop your weapon and damage it,
Your M-4 will fold flat against your chest shoulder when shooting your M-9
It is impossible to leave your weapon behind when you have to "move" to a new area of operations during an exercise.

I tend to sight my rifles in at the average optimal range for them. I have a Ruger .243 that is sighted in(scope) at 100 yrds, while that may be short for it, it's about as far as I'll get where I'm at, and then figure out how high or low I need to hold at different ranges. I have a Marlin 336 with normal front blade/ rear ramp sights. I have it close to zero at 50 yrds. It works for me, and just figure out how high or low to hold. That way i can still use them at shorter ranges if need be. The nost I would have to use them around my house, I'm in the sticks a bit, is 50 yrds.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back