US Airways pilot's gun discharges in cockpit

MrShotShot

Pilot's gun discharges on US Airways flight

Link Removed

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A US Airways pilot’s gun accidentally discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday, according to a statement released by the airline.

The statement said the discharge happened on Flight 1536, which left Denver at approximately 6:45 a.m. and arrived in Charlotte at approximately 11:51 a.m.

Who wants to bet that it wasn't holstered or appropriately stored at the time.

yes it would be interesting to find out the exact circumstances of what the pilot was doing at the time of the discharge.. glad no one was hurt.

I like how the "pilot's gun accidentally discharged" instead of being "the pilot accidentally discharged his gun". Gun's don't just go off, keep your finger off the trigger and get a quality holster.

I don't believe in accidental discharges, only negligent discharges. I doubt that the gun just went off while resting in it's holster. It will be interesting to find out more of this story. One or two incidents like this and the whole armed pilots program will be in serious jeapordy.

Just how do we educate the public and media for proper use of the ND/AD issue? I just hate seeing it improperly used. I believe that every misuse just solidifies in peoples minds that these inanimate objects just go and fire when they feel like it.

I sent this to the person that wrote it and the person following up with the story.

Hello,

I read your article and wanted to mention something about the wording you used. Guns do not accidentally discharge by themselves. The article should be worded that the pilot had a negligent discharge as there is no such thing as an accidenta discharge. Something that pilot did caused that gun to fire whether it was his finger, a cheap holster that allowed something to engage the trigger, etc., all being faults of the pilot.

I agree the pilot was doing something he was not supposed to be doing like perhaps playing with the gun. Wonder if he ever learned hte four basic rules of gun safety. Could be he needs more training.

Agreed - does anyone know the regulations for pilot carry? I thought I remembered somewhere that they had to keep the pistol locked in a compartment in the cockpit, but I could be wrong.

I don't believe in accidental discharges, only negligent discharges. I doubt that the gun just went off while resting in it's holster. It will be interesting to find out more of this story. One or two incidents like this and the whole armed pilots program will be in serious jeapordy.

Negligent Discharge - Improper handling of the firearm. The person in control of the firearm did something that deviated from safe handling rules when the gun discharged. (Finger on the trigger, improper holstering, etc.)

Accidental Discharge - Gun discharged due to a physical mechanical defect. All safe handling rules were followed. I've been shooting for almost 20 years and have witnessed only one "accidental" discharge. This was while serving in the U.S. Army. When a soldier switched the M-16 selector lever from "safe" to "semi" the firearm discharged. Upon inspection of the rifle, we found that one of the springs in the trigger assembly was defective, which caused the "accidental discharge".

I make it a point to use the correct terminology and educate others whenever possible.

gf

I agree the pilot was doing something he was not supposed to be doing like perhaps playing with the gun. Wonder if he ever learned hte four basic rules of gun safety. Could be he needs more training.

You mean like: impressing that cute flight attendant with the size of his gun?

:58:

Pilot's gun discharges on US Airways flight

Link Removed

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A US Airways pilot’s gun accidentally discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday, according to a statement released by the airline.

The statement said the discharge happened on Flight 1536, which left Denver at approximately 6:45 a.m. and arrived in Charlotte at approximately 11:51 a.m.

Who wants to bet that it wasn't holstered or appropriately stored at the time.

I am thinking the same thing.

The individual was most likely playing with his gun. Or he reholstered it and was not paying any attention. I hate cases like these because the media tries to use them against the rest of us. Its astronomically assured to be a Negligent Discharge. Accidental's just do not happen that often at all. I saw one incident where a hammer spring catch had failed and drove the hammer into the firing pin while a round was being chambered. The gun went off like a slam fire. Although, even in that case I have to wonder if their is negligence in the individuals care and inspection of his gun. I'm glad someone sent in a correction, although it probably will fall on deaf ears. I saw a case a few years ago where a local security guard's gun accidentally discharged through the center of a bathroom mirror at a local restuarant. HMMM. Wow, that bullet hole is up at eye line and is a straight shot. Its almost as if the gun was pointed at eye level when it was going off. HMM Accidental....Right!?!?! People get guilty of what they do and try to blame it off as an accident. :wacko: I hope to always follow the rules and always handle every firearm safely. However, if I ever lapsed and a gun goes off. I will call it negligent and make sure eveyone knows it. And the round will probably have to be dug out of the floor. It sucks to screw up, but its better for everyone for you to admit your mistakes. I saw a guy at a range slam fire into the ground once extremely close to some people. He blamed it on failure of the gun, etc. Upon closer inspection along with the range master, we found enough gunk built up on the firing pin and mechanisms that its amazing it was firing at all. He quoted that he had never cleaned it. Thats negligence too, and he never was allowed back.

Sounds like he was practicing for a possible "incident". This guy is probably more dangerous than the terrorists themselves. :Smilie BinLaden:

If the article I read was accurate(?), it is even more amazing. It said the aircraft was 'on approach' to land. As any of you pilots on this site know, you should be fairly busy concentrating on air traffic control and ready for any malfunction that might occur. It is hard to believe any professional airline pilot would be touching a gun at this point. It should be interesting to read the results of the investigation.

So let me get this straight, we lowly concealed carry permit holders would never be allowed to carry a handgun onto a plane, but the pilots are allowed to play with theirs (I envision him twirling it on his finger) while on a landing approach. Makes perfect sense to me.

I certainly have no problem with the pilots being allowed to carry a firearm, but obviously they are no better trained than we are.

So let me get this straight, we lowly concealed carry permit holders would never be allowed to carry a handgun onto a plane, but the pilots are allowed to play with theirs (I envision him twirling it on his finger) while on a landing approach. Makes perfect sense to me.

I certainly have no problem with the pilots being allowed to carry a firearm, but obviously they are no better trained than we are.

the difference is that the people who go through a ccw class and what not actually want to learn and carry a gun properly... I really doubt that the reason this guy became a pilot is to carry a gun. some of them could probably care less about it.

+1 Yep no such thing unless the gun was all alone when it went bang.

Here is what the writer of that story replied to me with:

I agree with your premise -- just like most car accidents aren't actually "accidents." But a TSA rep told me the "AD" is a law enforcement term they use to signify the discharge was unintentional, regardless of circumstances.

Diana

the difference is that the people who go through a ccw class and what not actually want to learn and carry a gun properly... I really doubt that the reason this guy became a pilot is to carry a gun. some of them could probably care less about it.
I'd be interested to hear this guy's reasoning on both why he became a pilot, and why he decided to carry a gun while flying...because right now, I'm thinking it was so that he could fire shots into cockpits from the inside. Must have been a lifelong dream...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back