US Airways pilot's gun discharges in cockpit

Accidental Discharges a Law Enforcement term. No, its a scapegoat term to cover oneself from lawsuits!!!! The gun went off during arrival. Wowzers!!! Thats more tasking than I can do. Was the pilot trying to line the plane, runway, and sights together or what??? Amazing!!!

I'd be interested to hear this guy's reasoning on both why he became a pilot, and why he decided to carry a gun while flying...because right now, I'm thinking it was so that he could fire shots into cockpits from the inside. Must have been a lifelong dream...

hahaha totally.. afterall, who else could say they fired their gun in the cockpit of a plane?

You all need to wait until all fact become public. What he was doing was putting the mandated lock through the trigger guard while the gun remains in the holster.

It's the new Galco holster for the HK LEM. You put the cable lock on thru the trigger guard while it remains in the holster. This outcome was not unexpected.

It will be interesting to find out how he ended up getting a negligent discharge while putting the lock through the trigger guard in the holster. Maybe the gun wasn't seated completely prior to putting the lock on. I'm eagerly waiting to find out.

Here is another email I received from them this morning with a link to their follow-up report.

Thanks for your note. We've gotten quite a bit of feedback on the discharge issue and your point is well taken. Our use of the term "accidental" is coming from the very brief statements we've received from TSA and US Airways. "Negligence" could point to wrongdoing by the pilot. Although many suspect the pilot was "negligent," we need a source within law enforcement or the airline to say that.

You may want to see our follow-up report at Link Removed

We spoke to a local gun dealer on how it’s virtually impossible to have an unintentional discharge with an H&K USP.

I appreciate your taking the time to write.

Mark

I just heard this story on MSNBC and they said "It is still unknown why the pilot fired the shot and he is on administrative leave."

Maybe the gun wasn't seated completely prior to putting the lock on.

I think you may be correct.
FactsAdsPic.asp

If the holster comes unsnapped, you could place the lock in front of the trigger instead of behind it. Then you see that it is not snapped and push the pistol in to snap it and the trigger is pulled.

You all need to wait until all fact become public. What he was doing was putting the mandated lock through the trigger guard while the gun remains in the holster.

It's the new Galco holster for the HK LEM. You put the cable lock on thru the trigger guard while it remains in the holster. This outcome was not unexpected.

Regardless of if the outcome was expected or not, if the guy did something that caused the gun to fire, it's a "negligent" discharge. If it was a mechanical failure with the firearm that was out of the control of the guy, then it would be an "accidental" discharge.

I'm glad that nobody was hurt. I sincerely hope that the "anti" folks don't use this incident as a reason for putting further restrictions on guns. :eek:

gf

Regardless of if the outcome was expected or not, if the guy did something that caused the gun to fire, it's a "negligent" discharge. If it was a mechanical failure with the firearm that was out of the control of the guy, then it would be an "accidental" discharge.

I'm glad that nobody was hurt. II sincerely hope that the "anti" folks don't use this incident as a reason for putting further restrictions on guns. :eek:

gf

I sincerely hope that the "anti" folks don't use this incident as a reason for putting further restrictions on guns. :eek:

Guns don't kill. Pilots with guns kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA CCWInstructor

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The pilot's first priority is to fly the aircraft. Handling a gun, holstered or not, demands your full attention. When on approach for landing, your attention should be on managing the aircraft, watching for traffic, listening to approach control or the tower, and completing the checklists. You do your "housekeeping" chores after the engines are shutdown at the gate!

One way or another, I feel the pilot was negligent.

Last edited:
It sounds like if it weren't for the stupid padlock, this wouldn't have happened at all. I always thought the purpose of a holster was to keep things away from the trigger.

Got this in my e-mail today.

CCRKBA CALLS FOR INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION OF IN-FLIGHT GUN MISHAP TO PREVENT COVER-UP

BELLEVUE, WA – The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms today is calling for an independent investigation of an in-flight discharge of a pistol carried by an armed U.S. Airways pilot to prevent any whitewashing, cover-up or scapegoating in the incident.

CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb said the incident is alarming because of allegations that the pilot may have been following strict Transportation Security Administration (TSA) rules when the mishap occurred. Those rules came under fire today from the Airline Pilots Security Alliance (APSA), which represents thousands of commercial airline pilots.

“We have a keen interest in this case because we were first to demand that airline pilots be allowed to carry sidearms in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attack,” Gottlieb stated. “We called for that measure just hours after four terrorist-commandeered jets hurtled out of the sky, killing thousands of Americans in New York, Washington, DC and a Pennsylvania field on that horrible day in 2001, and that must never happen again.

“But from the outset,” he continued, “TSA officials resisted the Federal Flight Deck Officers (FFDO) program, with bureaucratic red tape and requirements that defy logic in terms of recruiting as many pilots as possible. Rules and red tape actually discouraged would-be volunteers. Professional pilots who are trusted to safely fly millions of passengers across our skies should be just as trustworthy to defend their aircraft from takeover. This incident could be used to erode public support for the FFDO program, which would be insane. There may or may not be an armed Federal Air Marshal aboard an airplane, but you are guaranteed there is a pilot on board.

“Today, we are calling for an independent investigation of this incident, to be conducted by a panel of civilian firearms instructors and gun safety experts,” Gottlieb stated. “This will eliminate any possibility or future assertion that the TSA whitewashed this incident and used the pilot as a scapegoat to preserve unsafe regulations.

“Conversely,” he added, “such an investigation by non-government experts who are also not connected to APSA or the airlines could determine, without bias and free from any influence or coercion, whether the pilot was handling his firearm safely, or in an unsafe manner. We want the truth, and unlike they say in the movies, we believe the American public can handle the truth.”

+1. I will put my money with the previous poster!
TSA= Three Stooges Agency, your tax dollars at work.!!!!:police::headphone::jpparty::59:

Lots of redacted portions of the report. Looks like they've covered up the "juicy" stuff. I'm sticking to my initial assessment that Captain Langenhahn was doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing when the firearm was NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE occurred.

gf

Lots of redacted portions of the report. Looks like they've covered up the "juicy" stuff. I'm sticking to my initial assessment that Captain Langenhahn was doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing when the firearm was NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE occurred.

gf

+1 Glock Fan

The securing of the gun should have waited until the aircraft was at the gate and the engines shut down.

Both flying and gun handling are actions that require 100% attention.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back