Unusual way to dry-fire guns with exposed hammers?

John Wesley

I have never heard of anyone else doing this so maybe it isn't a good idea but I've done it for a long time. Maybe you guys can tell me if it is a bad idea.

After hearing rumors of broken firing pins I decided to try to protect them during dry-fire sessions.

First, I always use snap caps to be safe. But I also place a folded piece of fabric between the hammer and the firing pin. That way when the hammer falls it is cushioned by the fabric.

The hammer doesn't fall all the way and I'd guess the firing pin moves little or not at all. This seems to work great for single-action practice. After the fabric "conforms" to the shape if the gun under the hammer it works fairly well for double action practice. (Although it keeps the hammer slightly away from all the way down which does ease the pull slightly.)

Any comments?

Most modern firearms are not adversely affected by dry firing. That said, I to use snap caps. Cheap insurance against Mr. Murphy! :rolleyes:

Jc40

I agree with snap caps and no lint.And yes,that Mr.Murphy is a sneaky guy.You never know when he is going to show up.;)

I never really thought about lint being a problem. I guess it wouldn't take much of it to get into the firing pin channel and cause a problem. -maybe even a slam-fire. Hmmmmm.

Thanks! Maybe I should leave well enough alone and stick with snap-caps only.

I did use a piece of paper to see if the firing pin was working on a issue gun. Carried one for 2 weeks that would not fire. Never again.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back