Understanding Violence

I don't pretend to be an expert on anything, except analysis of large scale computer mainframes. I scoured this site for some topics which I could not find much info.

The topic is violence.

When does it occur, how, why?

Some years back in my quest for knowledge to help me decide if CCW was something I wanted to pursue, I did an awful lot of reading. Some books, newsletters, gun related organization, etc. I spent many hundreds of hours on this research.

I've read lot's of blogs on the guns, which one, Glock vs XD, what caliber, how to carry, the gear, what happens if you shoot, hypothetical situations ans scenarios,etc.

In fact, there were endless discussions on these topics which were mostly "stuff" or "what if" related. But the main component of why anyone would carry any type of concealed weapon was consistently missing... The subject of violence

I am not going to reinvent the wheel here, and I'm not that bright on the subject. I'm sure there are many books I didn't buy and read that contain such info and you all have recommended them many times, but I wanted to share a website that I thought could be useful to the people who want a better understanding of why things might work the way they do in the realm of violence.

I would like to recommend the No Nonsense Self Defense site. I have no connection to these people whatsoever, but I found the information there intriguing and integral to my decision to carry any type of weapon. It has changed the way I conduct my daily affairs. I hope you will find it useful as well.

Bravo

No Nonsense Self Defense - Reliable information for dangerous situations

Last edited:
From what I've read violence is random, in answer to your first question. I to, am no expert as I drive a truck after 18 yrs of burn out as a respiratory therapist. Anyway, violence can be concentrated in areas of low income and crowded conditions, but by-in-large it is random and can/does happen most everywhere. Would you agree with that?

In regard to the site you recommend, I like it also and is in my 'fav's' now.

Stay in condition yellow my friend.

Violence is hard to predict, that is why you carry a gun -- at all times! Even inside the house. Period. Just be aware of your surroundings before you even get off your vehicle or open your door to a stranger. Times are hard nowadays, with over 400,000 people out of work each month and counting...you will never know what is around the corner.

Each one of us have and will have different experiences. No matter how many books you read and blogs you go to, it will not suffice what you are really looking for. What is really needed are not books, nor blogs...it is training, actual training and practice...situational awareness and practice.

Be safe.

Your comment "Violence is hard to predict, that is why you carry a gun -- at all times! Even inside the house. Period."

That is so true, violence is hard to predict. I always carry my concealed carry weapon with me when I leave the house. On the other hand, I do not carry a weapon on me when I am home. I do have a weapon very close to me MOST of the time. I have one next to my recliner when in the living room and I have one next to me when I am sleeping. Carrying one on my person while at home seems to be a bit like overkill.

Yes, I believe there are random acts of violence. I also believe in premeditated violence. The one thing that the no nonsense site helped me with was a good portrayal of the different categories of violent groups of people, and the degree of danger they can pose. The Five Stages of Violent Crime section was responsible for me never being in condition white again.

I'll look for that little black book.
The good Col. had it right:

"One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.' I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure — and in some cases I have — that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy."
-Jeff Cooper, "Cooper vs. Terrorism", Guns & Ammo Annual, 1975

Your comment "Violence is hard to predict, that is why you carry a gun -- at all times! Even inside the house. Period."

That is so true, violence is hard to predict. I always carry my concealed carry weapon with me when I leave the house. On the other hand, I do not carry a weapon on me when I am home. I do have a weapon very close to me MOST of the time. I have one next to my recliner when in the living room and I have one next to me when I am sleeping. Carrying one on my person while at home seems to be a bit like overkill.

You're a carbon copy of me!

Thanks for an important insight. Very few of us CCWers realize that by carrying, we are putting ourselves into a VERY dicey legal situation, that could easily cost us our freedom or all our financial resources for the rest of our lives. We're subject to some very technical laws about what is and isn't "self-defense", much like a cop would be. We can't respond to threats or being "dissed", nor to belligerence, but can only respond to outright and immediate physical violence. And then we can only shoot to stop the violence or get clear of it. If we do anything more, WE'RE at fault and go to jail. The What is Self-Defense? website explains that clearly, and all of us REALLY need to read it and pound that info into our head.

I guess the biggest problem many of us probably have is that we read and talk about violence and self defense and CC, as we do on this forum, but we never experience it in real life and if we have never experienced it we can talk all we want, but when that slime bucket alone or with his friend has decided that we are today's meal it is now "show time". I own more than one firearm, I have a CCWP, I practice and understand gun safety and the operation of my firearms, I believe in SA and being prepared in my home and I believe I understand what the presumption of imminent danger of death or great bodily injury is. I have looked in the mirror and truly believe that I can use my firearm god forbid the moment arises and have no qualms whatsoever about an outome that does not prove to be good for the slime bucket. My fear, however, is that this country, under its current very unfortunate and questionable leadership, is a recipe for domestic violence and disaster that has similar underpinnings, IMHO, to germany 1930, and that did not turn out well for many of my disarmed relatives--who were sheep to the brownshirts as they went to their "rest camps". I will not be a sheep and if violence enters my property I will not hesitate to resist it.

I do not carry a weapon to promote violence but to prevent violence against myself or my family, I have no desire to use a weapon against anyone, but if necessary I will, do not make that mistake. Cell phone in hand, speed dial set, weapon at ready. Always try not to place myself in bad situations, but bad situations can come to you. Peace, Love, Colt 45.

Yes, I believe there are random acts of violence. I also believe in premeditated violence. The one thing that the no nonsense site helped me with was a good portrayal of the different categories of violent groups of people, and the degree of danger they can pose. The Five Stages of Violent Crime section was responsible for me never being in condition white again.

Caution: The following is a random rambling that uses a multitude of sentences to provide a simple thought. Reader discretion advised.

Good thoughts there sassed, try this one: You say violence can be premeditated as well. Of course, many do plan ahead to commit evil. Now look at it from the victims point of view. The victim was not in on the planing, so was unaware of it's awaiting for him/her/them. Soooo, as far as the victim is concerned it is random, more or less. ;-)

Sooooo, being the we here are not planning on commiting any violence (other than the violent, aggressive violence needed to survive a deadly attack but even that is born of defense) we would be only concerned with surviving such an attack. Having said that, we would not know that any violence, either random or premeditated, would be awaiting around the next corner, in the store parking lot, at the Lubby's we are going to have lunch at or in our kids school. Sooooo, as far as we lil' victims go, it's all pretty much random!

My 2¢. I was raised in a violent setting, from my parents and grandparents to the kids in my neighborhood bullying me. We were poor & lived in the ghetto. I was never violent despite my upbringing but was regulary use to defending myself and I can tell for a fact violence is Not random! I dont care want any book,video or on looker thinks, ive had personal experience for more than 15 yrs! Body language is the key as well as threats,not insults or retorick. Being aware of not only your surroundings but the face is a dead give away! Dont look away, if they stair,you stair back. If they motion towards you, you reciprocate. Any sign, I mean ANY sign of weakness or fear and your a Mark! My parents & grandparents were brought up using violence to communicate and force their will upon eachother and others...nothing more. It can be that simple, no ryme or reason. For me, I can spot the Wolf in a crowd of 10, but I payed a price for that instinct. Also remember and most important, human nature is violent rite out the womb! Carnal survival, for the Wolf & the Sheep. No one is exempt, some have control, some dont! Being prepared is the only sensable way of possible survival. Needless to say ive had no contact with my family in over 20yrs, no arrest and Definetly NO violence in our home. Married 17 yrs, 4 children.

My 2¢. I was raised in a violent setting, from my parents and grandparents to the kids in my neighborhood bullying me. We were poor & lived in the ghetto. I was never violent despite my upbringing but was regulary use to defending myself and I can tell for a fact violence is Not random! I dont care want any book,video or on looker thinks, ive had personal experience for more than 15 yrs! Body language is the key as well as threats,not insults or retorick. Being aware of not only your surroundings but the face is a dead give away! Dont look away, if they stair,you stair back. If they motion towards you, you reciprocate. Any sign, I mean ANY sign of weakness or fear and your a Mark! My parents & grandparents were brought up using violence to communicate and force their will upon eachother and others...nothing more. It can be that simple, no ryme or reason. For me, I can spot the Wolf in a crowd of 10, but I payed a price for that instinct. Also remember and most important, human nature is violent rite out the womb! Carnal survival, for the Wolf & the Sheep. No one is exempt, some have control, some dont! Being prepared is the only sensable way of possible survival. Needless to say ive had no contact with my family in over 20yrs, no arrest and Definetly NO violence in our home. Married 17 yrs, 4 children.

I am sorry for your experiences growing up, but that does not change (IMHO) the fact the for 99.9999% of society violence is largely random even if you can see a "wolf" just as he makes his move or spot him/her in a crowd. I'm not talking about a kid's violent relations at home, but out in society as this is what this thread is about. It is still largely random even if your wits and response is honed to a fine and suprisingly quick action and you were able to sense a violent interaction potential before most others might. Random means "can happen anywhere and anytime so far as the victims are concerned, no particular reason then any given area or time was picked out", sorta. Here's a clicked and copied definition of the word "random":

ran·dom   [ran-duhm]
adjective
1. proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the selection of numbers or other variable(s) without pattern or premeditation.
2. of or characterizing a process of selection in which each item of a set has an equal probability of being chosen.

So, even if you can recognize a BG in a crowd the fact he's there at any given time, to you or any victim not knowing he's there or that he's even usually there, any violence born of him is still "random".

Sure, the thug CHOSE a particular neighborhood, chose a particular "looking down kind of a sheep type" to hit, but in so far as society is concerned, the thug may well have been on the next block or the next town to do his magic. That's the point here of "random". No neon sign pointing to a block saying "stay out, thugery and violence will occur here with next 'appropriate' victim"...

I see your point, I think the random definition was a little overboard but ok. Well other than my experience, my main point is not understanding random violence, but surviving it! "being prepared is the only possible means of survival". That being said its random to the victim, not the perpatrator, also my point. So tryin to spot a possible threat based on a few characteristics or behaviours may just possibly give someone a few seconds of a headstart furthering efforts of survival.

Caution: as far as we lil' victims go, it's all pretty much random!

I hear ya. The context from the site presents the subject from understanding the various forms of where it unfolds from(aggressor), as well as the shock and awe reactions (victim just passing through). I think it does a good job of providing all the basics from both the victim and aggressor angles.

Random example: You accidentally cut off someone because you're late. You catch them on their worst day in 30 years and you can see the rage in the rear view mirror.

Premeditated example: You get hit and fall down before you realize your in a self defense situation

I really like your disclaimer. I've been known to do that myself... may have to steal that

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back