Under 21 open carry in AZ? Is it legal if you own the gun?

bobbyolsen

I was curious if owning/open carrying a handgun is legal in the state of Arizona if you are under 21. Any help on this would be great. Thnx~

From what I can tell on Link Removed you must be 21 to carry in AZ. OC or CC, with or without a permit

In AZ you have to be 21 or older to legally purchase a handgun. Not sure on technicalities of receiving one as a gift.

You can own a long gun at 18 and I don't see why you couldn't carry that but I don't think that is the direction your question was going.

In AZ you have to be 21 or older to legally purchase a handgun. Not sure on technicalities of receiving one as a gift.

Incorrect. By Federal law a person has to be 21 for an FFL to transfer a handgun to them. The legal age to purchase a handgun from a private party in Arizona is 18.

From what I can tell on Link Removed you must be 21 to carry in AZ. OC or CC, with or without a permit

Incorrect. A person 18 years old can open carry in Arizona. They must be 21 to conceal carry.

I know NavyLCDR is right on the purchase. In all states you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a Federally Licensed Dealer (FFL) but private sales are regulated by state law.

It also appears he is right about being 18, now that I have looked at actual AZ law. I think two statutes most on point are ARS Link Removed and Link Removed, both of which deal with minors, or those under 18.

My apologies for the previous incorrect information.

Thanks NavyLCDR. I didn't even think about the distinction between FFL and private, my purchases have all been through FFLs.

It seems most states have taken their law about juveniles and handguns almost word for word from 18 USC 922(x).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back