Undecided on size of concealed carry gun. Help?

JCliff's right. For me, I carry a Kahr PM9 in summer months, usually in a IWB holster. In the winter, I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II 1911 in .45 using a pancake holster. This setup works great for me.

Concealed carry comes down to personal preferences. You can ask 100 people and get an equal number of answers. I personnaly have carried 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP single stack autos, with barrel lengths from 3.5" to the full size 1911 and with the right holster all can be carried in comfort. I've also carried the Springfield XD 40 which is a bit more bulky and a little more difficult to conceal but not so much that I wouldn't recommend you try it if that's your prefered gun.

So here's my dilemma. I live in Illinois. I'm not sure how this whole concealed carry law is going to end up and with all this talk about possibly banning anything handguns that hold more than 10 in a magazine I'm debating because I've never had the right to. I was looking into the Springfield XD(m) 40. It's this too large/bulky of a gun to conceal? Should I go with a subcompact? Either way, I don't want to miss out on my chance to buy one of these guns like AR.

(I've shot with both 9mm and 40 springfield pistols and I just love the feel so I'm pretty set with the brand.)

Link Removed

No substitute... and, no worry about 10rd mag capacity crap. Happy hunting, heh.

Link Removed

SigSauer P-250 compact in 40. It runs $445.00 You can buy the conversion kit to make it full size in a matter of seconds fro $200 or so. So you basically get two guns (Sig no less) for around $650.00 I have one in 45 and love it.

My wife and I carry a pair of Ruger LCR in 38spcl+p, and they are easy to conceal, with a good punch. Just nake it easy and comfy. I feel naked without mine now.

a couple factors to consider:

1) barrel length
2) weight of the gun
3) Gun cal. & Mag cap
4) how many different holsters do they make for your gun make/model should u go w/ holsters

longer the barrel/heavier the gun/larger cal. always has less recoil than the same make/brand of gun but shorter barrel/lighter the gun(stainless vs polymer)/smaller cal. compared respectively. For conceal carry- IMO go w at least 3" but preferably 4" of barrel & do polymer (so a company that makes high grade polymer pistols- FNH, Glock, Springfield Armory) & go with a 9mm for high mag capacity. I'd do a polymer single stack around >20oz w/o including mag weight.

90% of the time I have 1 of 3 H&Ks. I really like H&K. A P2000 & P2000sk both in .40. A H&K 45C. They are all comfortable,accurate, and reliable as a rock. I will grab a PM9 (9mm) just to run to a convenience store. Get a comfortable holster.

My wife and I carry a pair of Ruger LCR in 38spcl+p, and they are easy to conceal, with a good punch. Just nake it easy and comfy. I feel naked without mine now.
I really liked the Ruger for my wife, but wanted to go to the the .357 chambered model, but didn't see eye-to-eye with the price. I'm used to hard recoil with my XD-S, so wouldn't gripe about the .357 rounds I would shoot in it. Maybe find some cowboy .38 special loads for my wife to start-out on, but she really wants a laser like the S&W guardian. She won't carry, so the hidden hammer wouldn't be a hindrance.

380 such as a Bersa Thunder semi-auto wouldn't do, as she has issues with semi-auto operation, and I want her to get a caliber minimum of .38 special. The Rossi .38 special I tried at Cabalas, was a big disappointment, so it's back to the Ruger small frame .357. I'll just have to let her handle/rent and shoot.

I really should backout of the purchase process for her, and let her do all the trying/buying, but can't help wanting a 2-for-1 toy, that I may enjoy also...

You very simply have to decide what gun you like and shoot well, then decide on how you want to carry it. The bigger and heavier the less recoil, really small guns can be tricky to shoot depending on the caliber because of more recoil.
Shoot as many guns as you can to see what you like and shoot well. Then when you find the right gun for you, decide how you will carry. Most people new to guns should carry a .22 or .380 then eventually move up to 9mm or larger.

No one can tell you what to carry. :dirol:

I carry an XDm .45 3.8 compact in an Old Faithful hip holster at the 3:30-4 position. Very comfortable. Most of the time I forget it's there. Use the 9rd standard mags with Pearce grips (one of the best decisions I've made)... carry one in the gun, and an extra 9rd and a 13rd extended in the XD gear dual mag carrier. I've also used a Blackhawk Serpa Level II retention OWB holster under an untucked shirt. I live in a state that allows both open and concealed carry. I haven't open carried at all, and as far as I can tell, no one has noticed my CCW. There is a slight print if you look closely enough, but nothing that wouldn't be considered a cell phone.

Unfortunately you have the same problem I have we don't live in the USA we are from 3rd world countries Illinois and well I live in New Jersey. Don't know what is to come in the future. I don't think Dianne Feinstein’s bill will pass the Senate let alone the Congress but with states taking it to their own hands like New York and here in New Jersey and Colorado we just don't know what to do. You want a gun that you’ll be able to use and I do know that most states will grandfather previous purchases but here in NJ I believe that whatever is banned is banned and since Illinois seems similar to NJ you better make sure that whatever you purchase would be grandfathered. Now most guns like Glock sell 10 round magazines already for let’s say the Glock 19 and if you find that 15 rounds are ok then all you have to do is buy the 15 round magazines. If they do a New York on us then you’re down a gun like the Kel Tec PF9 or Kahr CM9 or a revolver. I would go with the Glock(my preference) or the Springfield XD’s because you can make them into whatever the law specifies but remember if we go NY law then we are all screwed. Good Luck

I carry a SR9c. I'm a large guy and can't find a comfortable holster for inside the waste band carry. I about buy a Sneaky Pete Holster as soon as I Decide if I won't to put a Laser on my SR9c.
Link Removed

So here's my dilemma. I live in Illinois. I'm not sure how this whole concealed carry law is going to end up and with all this talk about possibly banning anything handguns that hold more than 10 in a magazine I'm debating because I've never had the right to. I was looking into the Springfield XD(m) 40. It's this too large/bulky of a gun to conceal? Should I go with a subcompact? Either way, I don't want to miss out on my chance to buy one of these guns like AR.

(I've shot with both 9mm and 40 springfield pistols and I just love the feel so I'm pretty set with the brand.)

Hi Neighbor!

I'm currently a resident of NW Indiana, but I grew up in Chicago, IL...

As for your issue, I'm still fairly new to Concealed Carry myself. I tried CC about 14 years ago with a service revolver. It was a fairly bulky carry due to its size and I got out of the habit about 7-10 years ago and sold it.

Now I'm getting back into it and am carrying a Link Removed. Personally I don't think it's an Ultra Compact, as in Sub-Compact type guns, but it is a Compact. It looks to be about the same size as the Link Removed. I believe this is so because I've had a dickens of a time finding a decent holster for it since I can't find anyone that lists it accept Fobus. But I went down to the Local Big R and tried Blackhawk Holsters until I found a Link Removed that seemed to fit my weapon. It was listed as being for the Springfield XD and XD Compact. I had to soak the leather and let it fit to my handgun in order to get a smooth draw, but it leads me to believe that the two guns are essentially the same size. This is a OWB Carry, but depending on how the Illinois Court Ruling turns out may work for you too.

Given the similarity in size, I think you'll find the XD Compact or even Sub-Compact to be decent for you. I wouldn't go with the full size myself, but I've seen lots of people mentioning full size weapons for their CC, so it might work for you. Like the others have said, in the end, it'll be what works for you.

As for the worry about magazine size, it wouldn't hurt for you to follow the 10 + 1 rule as I'm sure that Illinois being the **BLEEP** that they are about guns will want to tighten up on their restrictions for carry. I also don't expect them to willingly pass the law and try to appeal the courts decision.

I am loyal to the XD brand as well, and purchased my first carry gun, the original XD 40, seven years ago. While I have never been displeased with that decision, I have had an opportunity to shoot many different guns competitively since then, and have found that I shoot better with the 1911 model than with any other handgun. My life has also changed significantly in the past seven years. I now live on a ranch rather than in the city, and my daily attire has changed from Dockers and a jacket to jeans and a T shirt. For this reason, I will soon be purchasing either a compact Kimber or an XD EMP. The full size XD just will not conceal under a T shirt in any location on my body that is comfortabe and functional. I am 6'3", 220#, fairly fit. If your body is different, you may have a different experience.

Regarding the 10 round issue, here in the People's Republic of California, we have a 10 round limit on all mags purchased (other than by law enforcement). Any handgun that is available here is California, even if designed for a higher capacity mag, will have 10 round mags available. You can se the list of guns approved for sale here on the California DOJ website.

I am loyal to the XD brand as well, and purchased my first carry gun, the original XD 40, seven years ago. While I have never been displeased with that decision, I have had an opportunity to shoot many different guns competitively since then, and have found that I shoot better with the 1911 model than with any other handgun. My life has also changed significantly in the past seven years. I now live on a ranch rather than in the city, and my daily attire has changed from Dockers and a jacket to jeans and a T shirt. For this reason, I will soon be purchasing either a compact Kimber or an XD EMP. The full size XD just will not conceal under a T shirt in any location on my body that is comfortabe and functional. I am 6'3", 220#, fairly fit. If your body is different, you may have a different experience.

Regarding the 10 round issue, here in the People's Republic of California, we have a 10 round limit on all mags purchased (other than by law enforcement). Any handgun that is available here is California, even if designed for a higher capacity mag, will have 10 round mags available. You can se the list of guns approved for sale here on the California DOJ website.
I live in FLA and the majority of the time I wear t shirts and shorts and I conceal full sized weapons using an IWB
try getting a good holster/belt rig before buying a new gun

Hi from a fellow Illinoisan! When we can carry legally on this side of the Mississippi, I plan on carrying a j-frame .38 spl as deeply concealed as is practical. I imagine people in general will be 'skittish' about seeing people carrying until it becomes more common place. Therefore I don't want to give anyone cause for calling the police with a 'man with a gun" call, while still being adequately armed with a handgun in a respectable self-defense caliber. Good luck with your decision.

Well Lo and Behold. I sent E-Mails to both DeSantis and Galco asking for them to list hosters for my Bersa 45 and DeSantis said they don't make for Bersa, but now Galco pops up when I do a search on their website... I can start ordering hosters designed for my weapon!

I recommend either the Old Faithful Holsters or else Remora holsters, I use them both. As for the size of the gun I have seen people start out carrying a 1911 and end up carrying a pocket pistol six months later. Not everyone finds it comfortable carrying a large weapon. You need to hold or shoot as many guns as you can. I myself find carrying the Bersa Thunder .380 to be very good, it is thin and easily concealable in an IWB holster. What ever gun and holster you decide on be sure to get a good gun belt also. A good belt allows a holster to work it's best for you.

:victory:

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back