Ulster County Application

I never heard of that single petion rule either... But I have heard of that 2 year wait thing. I think judge Berry in Orange does this.

A person I work with asked about the letter to the judge and that was the response that he was given from the pistol permit office. I also sent an email to them asking about whether I am allowed to make stops in between my home and the range to get gas, ammo, food, whatever, and there response was...

"I'm told to refer you to the Court for clarification on the restrictions. The Court has placed them on your license and they should be able to tell you exactly what you will be allowed to do with them. I'm not permitted to interpret the Judge's decision. Sorry."

This just keeps getting better and better lol.

I think they just make this stuff up as they go along. No rhyme or reason, just whims to see how far us law abiding citizens will go. Next thing I know they will be asking me to jump through hoops of fire.

CCW Permits And The Court

I think I understand some of the frustrations voiced here. We all believe in the 2nd Amendment, and we all want to be able to protect ourselves and our families. Stop your collective whining for a moment and think this through, as adults. Based upon what I am reading here I think that may be difficult for some of you, simply because you're so new at it.

Some of you obviously have not figured this out yet, so let me spell it out for you: Judges take this responsibility seriously. If you were a judge, you would not want everyone who walks into your courtroom to be walking around with a deadly weapon in their pocket. That would be irresponsible. Maybe you don't like that, but that's the way it is. I know for a FACT that at least one judge has awarded at least one unrestricted CCW license - very recently - but WITH CAUSE.

This person I know recently had an interview with this judge, in the Ulster County Court, sworn in, with local Police, court attorneys and other court and county employees in attendance. It was not a picnic. It was a formal hearing, similar in all respects to any other court related matter, with all the decorum, formality, legal jargon, flop sweat, and tension you would expect in that type of setting. Another blatant fact for the clueless: Judges make a living doing just that - judging the morality and character of anyone that comes before them - in a matter of seconds. And after a while, they get pretty damn good at it.

Folks - this is serious business. These decisions are putting a judge's reputation and career on the line, not to mention peoples lives. I think a few of you need to grow up. This is not a video game where you die and you get another life. People - innocent men, women, or children - may die if the wrong person, or a person that is judged not mature enough or ready for it, is given an unrestricted license. Based on what I am seeing in some of the comments here, I wonder what decision I would make if YOU were to come in front of ME.

Just because you want something badly enough does not mean you will get it. Like that promotion you didn't get, or that raise you didn't get, or that job you didn't get, or that pretty girl who blew you off. It will happen when you do the things you need to do to prepare yourself for it and prove you're ready for it. For some of you that may never happen. That's the way life works. If you can't live with that reality, you probably should not be carrying a deadly weapon around with you.

Sorry for the preaching, because again, I really do understand the frustration. Instead of complaining about it, be proactive and gain some experience and training, be active in the gun community, grow in other areas of your life, gain some maturity and experience, and sooner or later it may happen for you. I hope you're ready for it if it happens for you. And for God's sake stop being in such a damn hurry going after something this serious.

And if you're thinking getting an unrestricted license is going to make you a tough guy, a Joe Badass, something you can brag to your friends about, or intimidate people with, and you're "not going to take any shit from anybody" once you're carrying heat, I've got news for you: if that's the way you're thinking then you're not ready for this responsibility. And for those of you where this shoe fits: get over it.

God bless America.

Stay safe out there.

american-flag.jpg

Last edited:
The permit holder must not make any stops while in route to or from the range while carrying a handgun.This is what was said by the court clerk.You may petition the judge to upgrade your permit at a later date.The county is allowed to put restrictions on your permit it's not against any statute.

I agree with what you say for the most part....but...
I highly doubt anybody here on this board wants a "unrestricted" license to be "joe badass." The problem with the process as I have said before and will say again is there is no consistency. Before June, things were different. Virtually all applicants were granted an unrestricted license in Ulster County. Now, depending on the judge you draw, you have different requirements. Some want training, some want you to have "just cause" but do not define what just cause is. Others want a trial period with a restricted permit. Other judges will restrict to hunting/target, while still others will restrict to camping, fishing, hiking, ect. Some will issue unrestricted.(Delaware County) Some judges interpret a restricted permit to never actually "carrying" this pistol, while others allow carry to and from the restriction.

Yes, in New York judges sign to issue your permit. Out of 50 States, 37 states will issue a concealed weapons permit upon request...(to qualified individuals) 10 may issue a permit, but by statute do not need to. (New York included) 2 states have outlawed carrying concealed weapons, and 1 state allows everybody who is not a criminal the right to carry a handgun. The majority of the USA is considered Shall Issue. Judges in those states do not have the ability to regulate permits for the most part. Permits are issued and it is the holders responsibility to understand that responsibility. It is also the permit holders responsibility to make sure that all laws are followed in regards to carrying a firearm. Everybody knows this is not a "VIDEO GAME."

Collective whining...no. This is precisely for what this board is for....discussion. I sincerely do believe that everybody can benefit from training, hence why I train and take it very seriously. A safe gun owner is a responsible gun owner. But please, respect other people's opinions and rights when it comes to permits. "And for God's sake stop being in such a damn hurry going after something this serious" is a slap in the face to many permit holders. People in 38 other states do not have this requirement. We do. The fact of the matter is that the average permit holder will never have to draw or otherwise use his or her firearm.

Criminals, restricted permit holders, and unrestricted permit holders all CAN have the same outcome on somebody's life. "People - innocent men, women, or children - may die if the wrong person, or a person that is judged not mature enough or ready for it, is given an unrestricted license." Not just unrestricted permit holders can cause damage to life and limb. For the most part, pistol permit holders are down to earth, level headed people who are not about bragging that they are "packing heat." There are the exceptions, but this is the overwhelming minority.

I respect your opinions, but communication is the key, and this is what this board is for.

The permit holder must not make any stops while in route to or from the range while carrying a handgun.This is what was said by the court clerk.You may petition the judge to upgrade your permit at a later date.The county is allowed to put restrictions on your permit it's not against any statute.

Restricted permits are upheld by the courts. It is not specifically spelled out in the statues, but it is allowed now and done quite often.

All I have ever asked is for everyone to follow the Law.
Including those that approve of permits or a license.
I think we are all just tired of people "making things up" as they go along.
Follow the rules, fulfill the requirements and be granted your permit as per the Law.
Dont give us vague references to half shaded ideas or possibilities regarding our right to defend ourselves.
Apparently the Law is the problem, when the oversight can twist and manipulate as they see fit, accountable to no one, then the Law is the problem.
Time to scrap the Law and start fresh?

Finally had my interview with the Judge here in Ulster County. Judge Schneer.
There were about 12 of us scheduled for that day and time. Court officers marched us all in the courtroom at once and we were instructed to sit. The Judge arrived and started to call names. You had to answer personal questions and explain the reasoning for your request to the amusement of all. Most of the people were not even dressed appropriately for court (sweatshirts, jeans, sneakers). Everyone I saw had no reason whatsoever for a permit, they had no idea what to say regarding the questions.
When it was my turn at bat I explained myself, tried to offer paperwork, proof of qualifications and other items which Judge Schneer was not interested in viewing. After less then 10 questions, including your name and address, she was done.
"Thank You for coming in, we will let you know" is all you get and out the door you went. Felt like a drive thru.
I personally did not like explaining anything having to do with my life in front of other people, those are private issues concerning my life and the court should be aware of that.
So now I wait (even longer) to even know what I may or may not get for a permit.

Finally had my interview with the Judge here in Ulster County. Judge Schneer.
There were about 12 of us scheduled for that day and time. Court officers marched us all in the courtroom at once and we were instructed to sit. The Judge arrived and started to call names. You had to answer personal questions and explain the reasoning for your request to the amusement of all. Most of the people were not even dressed appropriately for court (sweatshirts, jeans, sneakers). Everyone I saw had no reason whatsoever for a permit, they had no idea what to say regarding the questions.
When it was my turn at bat I explained myself, tried to offer paperwork, proof of qualifications and other items which Judge Schneer was not interested in viewing. After less then 10 questions, including your name and address, she was done.
"Thank You for coming in, we will let you know" is all you get and out the door you went. Felt like a drive thru.
I personally did not like explaining anything having to do with my life in front of other people, those are private issues concerning my life and the court should be aware of that.
So now I wait (even longer) to even know what I may or may not get for a permit.

Sounds like my first meeting with Judge Berry in Orange Co. He made us all arrive at 9:00AM and sit in his court room while he tried cases in front of us. He didn't start calling names until 11:00AM or so and went in Alphabetical order. I didn't get to go up to his bench to talk with him until 12:00PM. At least he was willing to listen to me and had an actual conversation with me about the right to carry, guns and responsibility. Unfortunately, In a court of law there are no private issues. Everyone that is there can hear what is going on.

At least when I went in to meet the Ulster Co. judge, he held it in his chambers. Everyone was marched in 1 at a time and the door was closed.

Just FYI, Judge Schneer did not get reelected on Nov. 3rd. She lost to former DA Don Williams by about 7000 votes. Maybe I should say "didn't get elected," because she wasn't elected the first time around either: she was appointed to fill the vacancy when Bruhn retired.

Williams says he is a friend of 2nd Amendment rights. We'll see what happens. I have the feeling it's going to be tighter than it was when Bruhn was on the bench, but not as tight as it was with Schneer. Let's hope the days of unrestricted permits aren't over in Ulster County.

I know Judge Schneer was not "re-elected". I think one of those reasons is her stance on the 2nd.
Makes you wonder how she will handle the permit apps she has in front of her right now, like mine, when she knows Williams is on his way in and he is pro 2nd rights.
I wonder what she will do? I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Even if the judge is pro gun,the permits are going be restricted until you exhibit a reason to carry concealed.Many of the applicants wait a few years and apply for an upgrade.Most permit holders are not properly trained in the use of force and weapon retention.A CCW course may be required prior to applying for a no restriction permit.

You may request to meet in the judges chambers if you believe the questions are too personal for others to hear.Not every court is that way.Most important is how you appear and present yourself in the court.

Even if the judge is pro gun,the permits are going be restricted until you exhibit a reason to carry concealed.Many of the applicants wait a few years and apply for an upgrade.Most permit holders are not properly trained in the use of force and weapon retention.A CCW course may be required prior to applying for a no restriction permit.

That has not always been the case in Ulster County. Until this past spring/summer, unrestricted permits were being issued regularly. No interview, no training requirement.

Something is definately wrong with our system. I just got my Non Res PA CCP in the mail this morning. 11 Days exactly from when I dropped it off in the mail. :biggrin:

finally got the time and everything all together and submitted my application yesterday along with a receipt for a purchase I made. I am in no hurry but don't want to wait forever either. One good thing is that Williams will be in office when my time comes.

You should expect a 4-6 month wait. You need to take a training course if you have not done so already. I am surprised they let you drop off a receipt with your permit. They usually tell you to hang onto the bill of sale until your signed permit is ready to be picked up at the Sheriff's office.

That has not always been the case in Ulster County. Until this past spring/summer, unrestricted permits were being issued regularly. No interview, no training requirement.

Rumor has it that a large number of CCW permit holders were arrested for various offenses earlier in the year. Because of that, virtually all permits are now being issued restricted. This change occurred in June.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back