Ulster County Application

Interview With The Judge

Just to give you an update, I finally had my interview with Ulster County Judge Schneer last week, and yes I actually had an interview with the judge, in the courtroom, with other applicants, police officers, and some attorneys present in the courtroom. It doesn't get much more formal than this, and somewhat intimidating. Having said that, I am actually surprised and glad that the Judge is taking this serious because I think putting a deadly weapon in someone's hand is serious business.

So if you're anticipating trying to get your CCW in Ulster County, here's what you can expect:

1) You'll be sworn in, similar to testifying in a legal matter.
2) The Judge will ask you your name and address, who you are living with, some basic employment history, why you want a CCW permit, and any training or experience you have with using firearms.
3) If you have some past legal issues, even if they are 20+ years old, they may come up so be prepared to discuss them.
4) Since I was requesting an unrestricted license, the judge asked me about my understanding of (paraphrasing) "rules of engagement". I think this is an important question as there have been some immature and irresponsible folks recently in our area that have brandished weapons or flashed them in an intimidating manner for dumb reasons (road rage, etc.). Reminder: CCW stands for Carrying a CONCEALED weapon. No one should know you are "packing heat" except the unfortunate individual(s) who may attempt to take your life.

This type of behavior hurts all of the responsible CCW applicants and gun owners, and in my opinion:
- If you have a short temper you should NOT be carrying a handgun.
- If you are irresponsible, a slacker, or abusive you should NOT be carrying a handgun.
- If you are a bully you should NOT be carrying a handgun.

5) Lastly, the Judge mentioned a great point/question I had not thought of, namely that by carrying a firearm, if you are disarmed by someone, this weapon could be used either against you or in a subsequent crime, and asked me how (paraphrasing) I planned on dealing with this risk. Notice that I am not stating the answers I gave, as these are unique to my situation as will be yours. The judge then stated I would be receiving a decision in the mail.

All in all I thought this process was appropriate. Be sure to be courteous and respectful to the Judge, and address him/her as "your Honor" in your responses to your questions.

A final item for all CCW holders to consider: The likelyhood of actually having to use a handgun out in public to defend yourself or your family is about the same as hitting the lottery. There are some Police officers that never have to unholster their weapon in an entire career. And I think down deep all of us hope we never have to use our weapon to harm another person. However - IF it does happen - you need to be very sensitive to what is behind your target, or behind the wall that is behind your target. More than likely your bullet is going to pass through your target and continue on it's merry way at high velocity. This could result in the serious injury or death of other INNOCENT men, women or children. I don't think any of us want that.

So bullet penetration and richochet awareness are crucial. This may be the last thing on your mind if this situation occurs with all the adrenaline rushing through your body and your heart pounding, but it needs to be an important consideration. JHP type ammo is safer in this regard. Avoid Glaser Safety Slugs except for in-home defense. I hope you consider doing this. You may save an innocent life or lives, maybe someone you know or love, by doing this and by being aware of all of this.

Link to a great ammo article (click the "more" link):
Link Removed

Stay safe.

Last edited:
i would be very interested in how your application process goes from here, I just stopped and got my application this week.

I will have it completed and returned in a few days.

1) Fill out the application completely and pick up a money order
2) Drop off your application and get fingerprinted
3) Take the safety course at Gander Mountain. They will no longer issue a permit without this course. It is free and about 4 hours long.
4) Wait. Mine took 4 months to hear anything.
5) Meet with the judge (or his/her secretary) and tell them under oath why you want a permit.
6) If approved, wait another month for the permit to be issued.

*Note- When you receive the letter that says you are approved, you can purchase a pistol. Bring that letter to a gun dealer and they will give you a bill of sale. When your permit is ready to pick up, bring the bill of sale and you can add your new pistol on in one trip. They will not give you the permit without having already bought a pistol.

I will do that, I have military and extensive weapon handling experience while enlisted, so i hope it will help get my permit without restrictions. I also plan to take additional training courses anyway... one can never hav enough training.

The one thing I really want to be prepared for is the interview, I will be sure to read up on others experiences before mine.

The interview is pretty uneventful. Just know where you are going to target practice (gun club), how you are going to carry it, and how you are going to store it. I have also heard that they will ask you what you will do to prevent somebody from taking your firearm off you.

Using Military Experience As Part Of Your Application

You have the option to add military experience as part of the application process. If you choose to do this, be sure you have your DD214 available. They will want a copy.

The one gun shop I was at in Sullivan county last week I asked the woman about how long it takes and was it hard to get a permit to carry no restrictions.She said that the judge asks you why you have a need to carry a handgun.Self protection answer is not going to get you a permit to carry concealed the judge only issues a restricted permit.She said that everyone is issued a restricted permit now and that even with a lawyer your denied.At Gander mountain I asked the salesman about applying in Orange county he said that theres two judges one gives only restricted the other may give you a unrestricted if you show him cause for it.I asked him about Sullivan county and he said that the judge was pro second ammendment and does issue unrestricted.I picked up a application from the clerks office in Sullivan county today it does say that a permit for target or hunting is issued only.That a seperate interview with the judge to have a upgrade is required at a later date.I was also told that many of the older permit holders with unrestricted are getting restricted now in many of the counties in the state when they go into the clerks office.I believe all counties are going sportsman to and from range only restricted type permit.More restrictions are going to stir a hornets nest.

my DD214 is not a problem. I have two of them, Navy and Air national guard.

I am getting printed tomorrow morning and should have my application back in a week or so.

I was also told that many of the older permit holders with unrestricted are getting restricted now in many of the counties in the state when they go into the clerks office.

How does that work? New York State permits are still good for life. The clerk should never get his/her hands on it unless the permit holder is having it amended to add a new pistol. Are they saying that the clerks are putting restrictions on people's permits when they come in to have pistols added? That doesn't sound right.

This I learned the other day.People that have paper license's are going in to get the new plastic cards and getting the restricted placed on them.Yes still many of the counties are lifetime in New York.Every county in New York has the ability to place restrictions its just the way it is now.I believe that many counties are going to require some form of training with your firearm if you want a CCW permit.I'm for training show the judge your proficient with your firearm and know the laws regarding deadly physical force.The permit holders on Long Island are restricted to & from range only and been trying for years to get the unrestricted type pemit.

This I learned the other day.People that have paper license's are going in to get the new plastic cards and getting the restricted placed on them.

Uh-oh, that's not good at all. I didn't realize the clerks had that power--I thought only the issuing judge could do that.

Yes still many of the counties are lifetime in New York.Every county in New York has the ability to place restrictions its just the way it is now.

I thought they all were lifetime except New York City. Do you know which ones aren't?

I knew that counties could place restrictions on new licenses, but I didn't know they could do it to an existing license. That's a bad sign.

From what I have heard...

The clerks are not the ones who are restricting the permits. The issuing judge still has to sign the back of the permit and when you go to pick up your new plastic card, you get restrictions.

Either way it is not a good sign. People who have had an unrestricted license and did nothing wrong are getting restricted because a new judge is not pro-2a. When are they going to learn the 2a is a right?

My experience, for what it's worth, has been that when getting the new plastic card, or ammending your license, the computer just tags it with the restrictions. I've been through this a couple of times. I just mention it to the permit clerk, and she runs a new copy without restrictions. I think the lady here in Rensselaer County does a great job keeping these things squared away.

In Ulster county, the Judge signs the back of the card before you get it, and they issue you a separate card with all of your guns listed on it with no signatures on it. I cant see why they would add restrictions to your actual ID card with your picture, thumb print and the judge's signature on it while amending the content of the second card when you add or remove guns. There must be something else going on. I know that the judges are getting a lot of pressure about unrestricted carry permits in NYS, but if you have one already, and they don't expire, why would it change? Unless of course a new Judge was elected into office for your district and he has decided to revoke all CCP with no restrictions on it. Which is very possible, so you need to be sure you get out there and vote!

UC Pistol Permit

Just got my permit less than 2 months ago and everyone is getting restrictions on it. Just be sure that you fill out everything you possibly can on the sheet that you use it for. Mine is restricted to everything under the sun, from camping, hiking, running, target, hunting, and fishing. They cannot fit anymore abbreviations on my permit without making more room on the card. I have spoken with several people in the know about getting my permit unrestricted and the exact words from one of the judges is that they want to see a "live fire" course before they will issue an unrestricted permit. Only problem is that Ulster County does not have anyone that will offer a live fire course as of yet. I am looking into taking one in Westchester in the next few weeks to hopefully build my case.

The whole thing is stupid because there are people out there like me who practice every other day but now need to pay $150.00 to go to a live fire course. You are only allowed one letter to the judge to get the restrictions taken off too so I want to make sure that I make my best argument the first and only time I get to.

gopryanhoy-
check out the Dutchess County Pistol Association. They offer classes 1 weekend a month and it cost $50.00. I am getting certified to teach the NRA basic pistol course with live fire in 2 weeks, and I will be holding those classes in Ulster County.

That's positive that a justice said he wanted training.The problem is many of the old time permit holders carry guns open in public and have caused alarm to many people who are not familiar with seeing handguns.The law is concealed in New York state.There has been many incidents with guys walking in a rest stop with the gun on the hip after target shooting or hunting and get in trouble for menacing for placing a person in fear.Many counties have adopted a restrictive permit policy modeled after NYC,Nassau,Suffolk,Westchester.The problem with those counties you are not going to ever get unrestricted carry.I think training on how to use your weapon and retention is very important.

Training

dendrokeeper -

Let me know where & when and I will be there.

hunter won -

I have no problem with training at all, everyone can always use improvement. My problem is with how they will not tell anyone how to get an unrestricted permit if they want it. We already jumped through hoops of fire to get the permit, but now you are "hinting" that you want permit holders to take a course that isn't even offered in Ulster County? Really? Connecticut has an interesting policy, they require you to go and prove that you are capable of handling a firearm before they will give you a permit. Not an amazing thing, but at least they tell you what they want you to do to get an unrestricted permit.

For training

dendrokeeper -

Let me know where & when and I will be there.

hunter won -

I have no problem with training at all, everyone can always use improvement. My problem is with how they will not tell anyone how to get an unrestricted permit if they want it. We already jumped through hoops of fire to get the permit, but now you are "hinting" that you want permit holders to take a course that isn't even offered in Ulster County? Really? Connecticut has an interesting policy, they require you to go and prove that you are capable of handling a firearm before they will give you a permit. Not an amazing thing, but at least they tell you what they want you to do to get an unrestricted permit.
It's positive that a justice in Ulster county mentioned he would like training in order to carry.Some judges believe that nobody should have a carry permit, so that wouldn't be fair for someone who has the training and is capable of carrying a concealed weapon.Anyone who applies for a handgun permit has a chance to include a letter to the judge that you respectfully request a unrestricted permit for your safety for the following reasons.Now go to a reputable NRA instructor in a class in self defense.Gander mountain offers courses.Some county justices require that you have the restricted handgun permit for a minimum of 2 years before they upgrade your permit.

This is the problem. Ulster County issued unrestricted until June. Now, all the judges have different requirements for issuing a permit. I knew about the training requirement. Which judge wants a two year wait? Also, I have not heard you can only petition the judge once. Since there is no statue that allows for a restricted permit, where is this clause derived from?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back