U.S. judge strikes down D.C. concealed-carry gun law as likely unconstitutional

Link Removed

Link Removed

A federal judge has ruled that a key provision of the District’s new gun law is likely unconstitutional, ordering D.C. police to stop requiring individuals to show “good reason” to obtain a permit to carry a firearm on the streets of the nation’s capital.

In imposing a preliminary injunction pending further litigation, U.S. District Judge Richard J. Leon reignited a running battle over the Second Amendment in the District and its courts where three different judges have now weighed in with varying conclusions.

“The enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table,” Leon wrote in a 46-page opinion, quoting a 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court decision in 2008 in another District case that established a constitutional right to keep firearms in one’s home.

Leon said that the right applies both inside and outside the home.

You would rationally and logically "think so," but you'd be incorrect -- according to the D.C. "authorities."
BTW, most of the Top 20 are very BLUE-led (Democrat) cities ... and have been.

"The standard that a high crime area by itself does not establish good cause is language that appeared in the District’s prior concealed carry regulations and also appears in New York regulations."

And I LOVED this part of the D.C. "reasoning" -

"AMMUNITION CARRIED BY LICENSEE A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition than is required to render the pistol fully loaded, and in no event shall that amount be greater than ten (10) rounds of ammunition. " So PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE at the range!

http://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/fi...icenseApplicationInstructions102214_FINAL.pdf

Thank goodness for the Red State South! BTW, I live too near #4 (Memphis) ... but at least the TN/MS/AR governments "allow" me to protect myself!

They (D.C. authorities and those that pay D.C. income and/or property taxes) need to be sued into oblivion.

"AMMUNITION CARRIED BY LICENSEE A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition than is required to render the pistol fully loaded, and in no event shall that amount be greater than ten (10) rounds of ammunition. "

Nope:
24-2343. Ammunition Carried by Licensee.
2343.1 A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition
than is required to fully load the pistol twice, and in no event shall that amount be greater than twenty (20) rounds
of ammunition.
Old laws that were stuck down or forced by us DC residents to be removed under threat of suit end up getting circulated and that is one. The law for carry is in fact 20 rounds or fully loaded gun and one spare mag which ever is greater. I dont defend it but you are citing an older more restrictive law. If you have a handgun that has 9 and ten round mags, you can carry 9+1+10
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/dc.pdf (see page 3)

I get your point that DC laws were insane, and still are against the letter and spirit of the Constitution, but we DC gun owners have been relentlessly, with time and money, chewing away at those restrictive laws and winning. DC is no longer the most restrictive jurisdiction, it is about average for the region, with NJ, NY Maryland, Mass worse in most aspects

"AMMUNITION CARRIED BY LICENSEE A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition than is required to render the pistol fully loaded, and in no event shall that amount be greater than ten (10) rounds of ammunition. "

Thankfully we got that repealed to double the amount of rounds:
24-2343. Ammunition Carried by Licensee.
2343.1 A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition
than is required to fully load the pistol twice, and in no event shall that amount be greater than twenty (20) rounds
of ammunition.
The law now for carry is 20 rounds or fully loaded gun and one spare mag which ever is greater. If you have a handgun that has 9 and ten round mags, you can carry 9+1+10
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/dc.pdf (see page 3)

I get your point that DC laws were insane, and still are against the letter and spirit of the Constitution, but we DC gun owners have been relentlessly, with time and money, chewing away at those restrictive laws and winning. DC is no longer the most restrictive jurisdiction, it is about average for the region, with NJ, NY Maryland, Mass worse in most aspects

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back