typical wait

I'm in Nye County and it took 37 days. My Utah non-res took 4 1/2 months last year, but they've caught up and it takes about 6 weeks now.

Depends...

I have been told by a member of the LVMPD CCW Detail that if you're a long time NV resident the process is quicker. This is probably because they don't have to check out of State databases, only the NV Criminal Repository which is basically the State mirror of NCIC. It also helps if you're in a line of work where fingerprinting is required (i.e. school district employee, insurance, CDL with hazmat endorsement, etc.). You'll already have a background check done as a matter of employment or professional license.

In Churchill County, four to six weeks seems to be common. Some have received their permit in less than two weeks.

Bear in mind, however, the law allows up to 120 days.

If a sheriff exceeds 120 days, he is violating the state law. Sadly, however, there is no penalty proscribed in the law if a sheriff exceeds 120 days. One would have to go to court, I presume.

Also note, not every county sheriff issues a new replacement permit when you add a new/different firearm. One can qualify with, and have an infinite number of firearms listed on one's permit. And, obviously, there is not sufficient room on the reverse side of the permit to list a large number of firearms by make/model/caliber. Our sheriff simply places the new/added firearm qualification form to your file - he does NOT issue a new replacement permit.

On that note, I learned that at least one sheriff limited the number of firearms with which you can qualify and have added to your permit. I do not know if he (or other) sheriffs is/are continuing this unlawful practice. By NV law, there is NO limit on the number of firearms with which you can quality. If your sheriff is limiting the number, you should take action to ensure he conforms with the law.

One cool thing about Washoe County, here up north, is if you go in with an add on, they process it right there and hand you your new permit! ;)

The lady at the desk told me that the initial CCW permit would take about 60 days.

I applied Feb. 11 '08 and received my card yesterday March 28 '08. Now I can start buying more rifles:icon_biggrin: without having to pay for the back ground check.

I have been told by a member of the LVMPD CCW Detail that if you're a long time NV resident the process is quicker. This is probably because they don't have to check out of State databases, only the NV Criminal Repository which is basically the State mirror of NCIC. It also helps if you're in a line of work where fingerprinting is required (i.e. school district employee, insurance, CDL with hazmat endorsement, etc.). You'll already have a background check done as a matter of employment or professional license.

First, let me say Hi to everyone here!

I am a member on another message board, and they seem to be having forum problems, so I went looking for other places to read and write.....

I do not really think it matters if you have had background checks done recently. I am a veteran, federal government employee and a federal law enforcement dispatcher.

I submitted my application to Pershing County on March 17, 2008 and it still has not arrived.

Now, it seems that Pershing is having trouble with their fingerprint machine that (for those that are on the other board, Sheriff Skinner did talk with me!!!) are beyond their control.

The Sheriff researched the machine problem, and called me back to explain what was happening.

It is a software problem that even the software provider cannot seem to identify.

He and I both agreed that we understood the 120 day "limit". After that he told me that he had my application in front of him, and said that if the prints do not come back by day 120, he was still going to issue the permit to me anyway.

I am not happy about the wait, but I am bound (as is he) by the rules, and I know that the only thing standing between me and my permit now is 36 days or my prints coming back.

STILL MUCH BETTER THAN WHAT I HAD (or did not have) IN MARYLAND!

Now, for some interesting things you all may or may not know.....

It only takes at worst, 10 minutes for your background check to come back from NCIC. 10 minutes is the limit placed on ANY police agency (including the FBI) by the FBI. If it takes longer, a PHONE CALL MUST BE MADE TO THE REQUESTER FROM THE PROVIDER or you are subjected to loosing your NCIC privileges.

If your finger prints are on file, it should take only 1 day to confirm them with your record. Your prints are coded at the FBI, and that code comes back with your NCIC check.

So, IMOH, any waiting period beyond 24 hours is to long.

Carl

This is how it works in NV

I do not really think it matters if you have had background checks done recently. I am a veteran, federal government employee and a federal law enforcement dispatcher.
It does because in NV we have the Nevada Criminal Repository.

The way background checks are done in Nevada that are originated by a Nevada or a political subdivision thereof is that a copy of the fingerprints or background check results are kept in the NV Criminal Repository which is mandated by the NV DPS Records and Technology Division then another copy is forward to the FBI.

If the results of the background check can be satisfied by the results of the Nevada Criminal Repository then the requesting agency uses that along with forwarding the request to the FBI. If the cached background check in the NV Criminal Repository is recent, the requesting agency uses that.

NV CFPs are different as there is a statutory requirement per NRS 202.366 that the requests be forwarded to the FBI and not be relied strictly upon the NV Criminal Repository. A similar process is done for NV NICS checks. The $25 NICS check fee pays for the NV Criminal Respository. The NICS check fee increase from $15 to $25 was to upgrade that system.

Some sheriffs have, however, used the repository alone to issue temporary CFPs. I also know that various State and local governments use the initial repository results such as the NV Dept of Education (not surprising since we have a teaching shortage in Clark County). A friend of mine who maintains a Henderson business license did not have her fingerprints run because of a recent background check done by the State Department of Insurance and the State Department of Education for her teaching license. The background check results were cached in the Nevada Criminal Respository. The City of Henderson pocketed the fingerprint fee for her business license and never processed her fingerprint card. If Nevada or a political subdivision thereof can get away with not forwarding the request to the FBI and pocket the fingerprint processing fee, they will do it.

NV Sheriffs use to do this earlier when we went "shall issue" which caused the NICS exemption to be revoked by BATFE a few years ago when they did an audit of the background check process. The NV legislature fixed it by making it a statutory requirement that all background checks for NV CFPs be forwarding to the FBI.

According to an interview I saw on a local TV station, BATF is again revoking the NICS exemption effective July 1, 2008.
Check with your local gun dealer, he should have a copy of the notice.

I didn't get the memo...

According to an interview I saw on a local TV station, BATF is again revoking the NICS exemption effective July 1, 2008.
Check with your local gun dealer, he should have a copy of the notice.
BAFTE also posts an electronic copy of these memos Link Removed. Unless it's very recent and hasn't made it to the BATF Brady law page yet, I don't believe it. Glen Parshall (Coinguy) who posts here who is a CCW instructor; NV and UT, is also a Nevada FFL.

Glen, is there truth to this?

I'll also check at American Shooters this Tuesday during my regular range session.

Last edited:
Damn!

Well, at least I know mine is on the way.....

I think that is pretty good for a county that seems to have problems with the state law.

Wait and see...

I got excited when I read Mohave Bill got his April application in 46 days. Until I went and put my own application in .

Just put my Clark County application in yesterday. The lady at the fingerprinting bureau said processing time allows up to 120 days. I asked if she knew what actual processing time was right now, she kind of gave me an I'm sorry look, and said I'm looking at pretty much.....120 days.

So, just waiting to see if that's how long it's really gonna take. I'm hoping to report back here a little sooner than that. I just bought myself a brand new summer gun too. What a shame I can't really let it shine until next year.

:-(
magic

I got excited when I read Mohave Bill got his April application in 46 days. Until I went and put my own application in .

Just put my Clark County application in yesterday. The lady at the fingerprinting bureau said processing time allows up to 120 days. I asked if she knew what actual processing time was right now, she kind of gave me an I'm sorry look, and said I'm looking at pretty much.....120 days.

So, just waiting to see if that's how long it's really gonna take. I'm hoping to report back here a little sooner than that. I just bought myself a brand new summer gun too. What a shame I can't really let it shine until next year.

:-(
magic

As I posted in another thread, I received my nonresident from Washoe County in 72 days. I submitted the application on March 13 and it was received on May 24. My brother submitted his application in Douglas County on the same day and has still not heard from them. He was initially told two and a half months by the lady who accepted his application. After that time had elapsed, he called the Douglas County Sheriff's Office and they changed it to 4 months. They didn't say 120 days, they said 4 months. They told him that they would contact him at the end of July. I think that is way past 120 days.

I have also read that Washoe County has taken more time after received mine. There seems to be a trend indicating a longer delay the application process. I know that the fingerprints get back to the Sheriff's Office way ahead of the 120 day maximum. My Utah nonresident arrived in 60 days, just after I received my Nevada permit. The applications are sitting at the Sheriff's offices for whatever reason. At least, that's the way it seems to me.

My 120 day mark is Tuesday....

I plan on calling on Monday, and letting them know I will be coming through to get it, cause Sheriff Skinnner promised it to me on day 120, because of the finger print problem they are having with their machine....

I will keep you all posted!

Carl

Well here is a new one....

I was in Hollister this weekend so I had no phone with me....I get back and have a message dated Friday past from Pershing County....

Please call us, we had a problem with our Finger Print system (Electronic), we need you to have them re-done, and start the process all over again!

Now, my 120 days are up on Tuesday.

They knew about this (Electronic) problem back in March when I applied for the permit!

Sheriff Skinner already told me in a phone call regarding this issue, that he was going to issue the permit at 120 days with or with the new prints. (Remember, they HAVE HARD CARDS and he acknowledged it!!!).

I even offered to come back in over a month and a half ago to "re-do" the (electronic) prints, and he said that would not be necessary!

So, I will call the lady back on Monday morning and remind her that I have a verbal agreement with the Sheriff!

What a crock this has turned into!

Carl

I don't know about that fingerprint excuse. I did the Live Scan at the Washoe County Sheriff's Department. The machine lets the operator know when the fingerprints are not clear. In my case, it beeped several times and the fingers in question had to be rolled several times before the machine accepted them. Not only did they work to process my Nevada application, they printed a set on an FBI card for my Utah app. That also worked.

To complete my nonresident applications, I went to our local police department here to get fingerprints taken for the Florida CCW. These had to be done with ink. I have my application pending now. The check has been cashed. I have a feeling that this will go through also.

Okay, here is the latest....

Let me give you guys the story, the way it happened....Hopefully shorter...

I called the PCSO as asked to do in the message.

I spoke with the young lady whom has been given the task of "cleaning up" the mess that is CCW.

According to her, the print machine is fixed and they needed me to start the print process over again, somebody retired, another is retireing and she has been tasked with the CCW operation.

I reminded her of the verbal agreement with the Sheriff on this finger print deal. She said she knew about it, and was trying to do her best to complete the process.

She said that she had a couple of phone calls to make to Carson City, and she would call me back.

She called back about an hour or so later, and said that she may be able to issue the permit without doing the prints again.....So, she took down some more information, (stuff that I thought was on the application) and said she would call me back.

She called back a couple hours later to tell me that the hard cards were sent to Carson, and based on my background check, PCSO is issuing a temporary permit, and when the print clearence comes back from Carson, it will become permenant.

So, on my way back from a meeting in Reno tomorrow, I will stop in Lovelock to pick up the permit....

I still feel that the print "business" is an excuse for something else wrong within the system, but being calm, and curtious (sp) with all involved (Including Sheriff Skinner) helped me attain a verbal agreement with the Sheriff and move on to the issuance of the permit...

Now if I can only figure out how they say I qualified with a Ruger 9mm (I only qualified with a CZ 100, 357 revolver and Glock 23), the world will be right tomorrow afternoon!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back