Try this sometime for CQB with a scoped weapon

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
OK so you mounted a scope on your evil black rifle.
You can still use it for CQB regardless of scope power.
Here is what you need to do...
Sight up as if you were using the scope but leave both eyes open.
You will see the CQB target area with your non scope eye.
You will see the scope reticle with your scope eye.
Your brain will automatically superimpose the cross hairs over the CQB target.

OK here is the drawback...your point of aim is not going to be sub MOA accurate but in CQB it does not need to be. With a little practice you can use this technique to snap shoot a target in a CQB environment. Lets face it any sighting system is better than no sighting system.

Practice this often but for only short periods of time so you do not develop eye strain. It works. It is effective. It is very seldom taught in tactical training schools.

Just put a Doctor or J-Point on top of your variable. It's much easier.

Most, including myself, have mounted various micro dot units on the rail system with a 45 degree angle. Kant the rifle slightly and your looking through a free parallax optic without the strain on your eyes.

ETA: I'd have to be using an optic with an illuminated reticle otherwise I'm looking into black if there is no light or low light and the room is not recieving a bit of natural light or artificial light. Your technique works, if you've got an illuminated reticle, if that makes any sense ?

I like the AP T-1 Micro or the Doctor mounted on top of the ACOG or the varable power optic.

Besides, your going to wind up punching Haji in the face anyway. They alway's comply once 12 guy's are in the room and the first clown that drew a weapon got 5 rounds to his face.

Using a tack driver in a CQB situation is NEVER a good idea,
Defaulting to pistol might be a better idea than taking a long barrel bolt action tack driver to a street fight or building clearing!

Personally, I use full length removable mounts so I can change optics quickly and retain zero for the situation at hand.

Snapping off long range optics and going to default iron sights is another good way to keep your CQB capabilities, snap off the magnified optics...
Field rifles of ANY KIND should never be without iron back up/CQB sights!
You never know when optics will fail, and iron sights NEVER fail!

VERY short range 'Entry' weapons should have 'SEE THROUGH' sights, were you can see the iron sights through your optics.
Zero (1X power) magnification are best since you can keep BOTH eyes open easily and increase your peripheral vision,
Always good to know whats moving to your sides!

does the military still teach 25 meter quick kill where you keep both eyes open and use your weapon like pointing you finger at the target without using the sites at all? they tought this method when i went in and it worked quite well, also known as snap shooting.

Using a tack driver in a CQB situation is NEVER a good idea,
Defaulting to pistol might be a better idea than taking a long barrel bolt action tack driver to a street fight or building clearing!What do you consider a "Tac Driver?"

Personally, I use full length removable mounts so I can change optics quickly and retain zero for the situation at hand.Again, if your using a magnified optic you'll most likely have a Doctor or J-Point mounted somewhere for CCO work.

Snapping off long range optics and going to default iron sights is another good way to keep your CQB capabilities, snap off the magnified optics...Why "snap" off your optics ? If you've got both variable, fixed and a CCO optic available in one system ?
Field rifles of ANY KIND should never be without iron back up/CQB sights!No kidding, a good shooter will also co-witness his BUIS's with his red dot or Hollowgraphic.
You never know when optics will fail, and iron sights NEVER fail!Yep, batteries run out and iron sights are used.

VERY short range 'Entry' weapons should have 'SEE THROUGH' sights, were you can see the iron sights through your optics."See through optics ? You mean 100% free parallax as in an AP red dot or Eotech.
Zero (1X power) magnification are best since you can keep BOTH eyes open easily and increase your peripheral vision,No kidding, your not the first to use CCO non-magnified optics.
Always good to know whats moving to your sides!Ya think so ?

You'd think none of us here have ever served in the military, huh ? :sarcastic:

What you are talking about is the BAC Bindon Aiming Concept? Trijicon came up with this some time ago. It works much better with an illuminated reticle than cross hairs. It has the potential to throw your aim off quite a bit in certain shooting situations, or so I've been told.

I've tried this method and cannot get the two images to superimpose. I'd much rather try to shoot out to non-CQB distances with iron sights than I would try to shoot CQB distances through a scope. Hence, none of my "battle" rifles have scopes.

"Snap Shooting"...instinctive shooting without (consciously) using sights...has worked for me on many occasions, even to the point of surprising the hell out of me when I hit! As for "driving tacks", I feel that a CQB long arm along the lines of an AR or AK is better served with iron sights. Reaching out to longer ranges - if you feel you need to - doesn't require a MOA heart shot, but will be perfectly satisfactory for general purposes with a more-or-less COM shot. I figure that'd be good out to 500/600 yards for any anticipated social work.

'Course, I could be wrong....

If it is true CQB just use the scope as a big ghost ring or for that matter point shoot. Try this excersize at 3 5 7 10yards on an IDPA type target.
2-3 rounds as fast as possible to center mass from a low ready position. At the closest distance the target will fill up the scope. Think of it as a caveman Eotech. In every cqb rifle class I make guys run their guns with the optics turned off. Most can get hits to 25 yards without iron sights just using the scope tube as a sight. In CQB you also have to be aware of the sight offset. on a standard AR it is around 2 " with a red dot on top of a scope it's more like 3" now cant the rifle and you'll be shooting the door frame or other cover; maybe even the good guy or family member you want to save.
On the other end of the spectrum most shooters can't hit a IDPA target at 600 yards with iron sights and a large percent can't do it with their scope. Add in factors like wind, humidity, alltitude, temp changes and standard scopes then a shooter that does well at 100 is lost at 600. I see it in every class.

You'd think none of us here have ever served in the military, huh ? :sarcastic:

YOU GOT 2 EYES MARY? THEN THEY BETTER BE OPEN!!!! IF YOU THINK YOU DON'T NEED BOTH, WHY DON'T I JUST DIG ONE OUT FOR YOU!!!

Then there was the slap in the chops on the closed eye side. IF YOU HAD THAT EYE OPEN YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT COMING YOU SON OF A B****!!!!

Lesson learned.

I have an illuminated reticule on my 4x scope mounted to my AK and it really is best to shoot with both eyes open all the time, but the inherent features of the AK scope mount allows use of the iron sights at close range anyway because the scope mount has to remain high enough to remove the dust cover for maintenance.

ooooor, just use a scope with quick-dettach rail mounts, and some pop-up battle sights, or use a hard mounted scope and quick-transition iron sights on a 45 degree angle.

This is just my opinion based on my own experience:

It's CQB... you should be point-shooting no matter what gadgets you have on your weapon. Both eyes open all the time, carbine up at the ready, put two quick rounds into your target's sternum and move on to the next threat. At CQB distances, you don't need to be a marksman... put the damn lead through their chest.

However, I don't care for optics on my combat arms... especially b/c I prefer AKs, no use and it just adds bulk, weight and something else to break.

Look that the "Bindon aiming concept as well" (easy to find on Google). That can work well with magnified optics such as the ACOG or Browe scopes.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back