truck with topper transporting rifle and pistol through MD

rentprop1

In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.

quoted the above from your law, I 'm traveling from FL to OH and stopping for 3 days in Baltimore to see my son at college, I have a Dodge ram 1500 with a topper, however the topper doesn't lock, and I usually wouldn't transport my guns back there ....I read about everything having to be unloaded and guns possible being in a locked compartment within the vehicle, is this correct

would a locked gun case suffice to be inside the back seat ??

does the ammo have to be locked up or can I just toss the mag in the inside of the truck ??

what is the easiest thing to do pull over at the state line and put the rifle case in the back till I get to destination

Thanks

In order to comply with FOPA (the law being quoted), the ammunition must be locked up separated from the occupants of the vehicle as well. What about a locking gun/ammo case that is chained or cable locked to the truck in the back?

Are you transporting a rifle or a handgun?

If its a rifle, then the gun case or a gun rack would be sufficient as long as the ammo was stored separately.

If its a handgun, and you do not have a permit, then the weapon must be unloaded, cased and, either stowed in a trunk (of course not in your case), or locked in a case if the vehicle has no trunk.

Therefore, if your firearm is a handgun, make sure to bring a lock for your case as well and you will be fine. Just don't stop in MD. This is only for those who are traveling through.

I have to go through MD all the time (I live in PA) and it's a real hassle.

In other words, MD follows the Federal statute and gives no other liberties: 18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back