Trouble concealing full size Sig

Ed989

I received my concealed carry upgrade in New York state a few months ago. I have a full size Sig P220 (.45 Auto) that is my only handgun. I have been using an IWB holster. It is a custom made holster that was recommended to me by an experienced handgun combat instructor so I am confident that it's high quality.

Here is my concern: when I wear a baggy sweatshirt or large jacket, the gun conceals easily. But any time I am not wearing some sort of jacket/sweatshirt, basic movements such as twisting my upper body or bending slightly at the waist cause my shirt to pull against the grip of the gun, making it rather easy to see that there is something sticking up above my belt.

Does anyone experience a similar issue when carrying a full size auto? I know it would be easier to carry concealed with a compact, but I am a not-so-wealthy recent college grad and I really can't afford another gun right now. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

-Ed

I would recommend checking out other holsters. See what fits YOU best. Every person built differently. Even "custom" holsters don't always do what you would like them to do. I've got a dozen or so holsters that I no longer use for various reasons. A couple of them are "custom" holsters. Not all custom holster makers are equal. I have a Mitch Rosen and a Milt Sparks holster, both of them fit properly and do what I expect them to do.

Shop around and try out a bunch of different holsters. Supertuck and Galco have some excellent "off the shelf" holsters that are moderately priced.

gf

try this guy he made my last holster for my Kahr PM40, granted a smaller pistol by far, but I'm a big boy and find it hard to get a IWB holster that my fat doesn't push so the grip sticks out of my shirt. He made me one and I had him adjust the angle (FBI cant) a little extra so almost nothing but the grip sticks out (of my waist band) it's perfect for me!! He is very knowledgeable and can probably help a great deal in getting you something that will work for you!

H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

Problem With Concealing Sig

Do not think you are the only one that is haveing this problem. I am liveing on Social Security plus retirement and I can just make ends meet. The job market is tough. I have a Sig 226 and I have the same problem. I would like to get a Sig 238. At this point in time I can not afford it. I can make arrangement for a payment plan with a Gun store but the best deal I could get is for two months. What I did I buy is a inside the pants holster from Optics Planet. They are large and reliable. They also will give you advice as to the best holster for you. I feel the best one to get is the Galco Royal Guard holster which I bought. It does fit your sig and they do give the best price. They also pay for the shipping. The Galco Summer Comfort is less expensive. It serves the same purpose. I generaly use a open shirt which you can get a Cabellas. It can be bought almost anywhere. Cabellas is very reputable and they are very big. They also have a website. Take a look at the Optics Planet web site and look for concealment shirt. You will see one with a manufacturer called 5.11. This will give you an idea but on the other hand you can buy any shirt that is worrn outside of your pants that prints well. I hope this helps!

You might have to end up carrying it in a fanny pack or some other type of carry. It is not my favorite way but here in Texas where much of the year is hot it sometimes is the only thing you can do. Of course as you already noted the best thing, when you can fit it in your budget, would be to get a smaller, more easy to conceal firearm. Tell everyone to you will take money for Christmas and put it towards a new gun.

Ed,
before you spend loads of cash on another holster, you could try wearing a heavy weave, button-down shirt with a pattern of some kind, like plaid. Buy it a little larger than you need it to give your gun some extra room. The pattern will visually "break up" the form of the grip when it prints through the shirt, and if you pull a little of the tail out after you tuck it in the material will naturally billow out over the gun. Duluth Trading Co sells shirts for people like pumbers who need lots of room in their clothes to bend over without exposing themselves. DuluthTrading.com

Have you considered selling the Sig?

Ed989,

Look into altering your wardrobe. That can be a whole heckuva lot less expensive than a new or used gun and holster.

I've gone through a whole lotta different ways to carry and cover up over the years. If I'm not carrying in a waistpouch or fannybag, I carry IWB strong side and use an untucked shirt to cover up. Short and long sleeved polo shirts, "camp shirts", sweat shirts, et al.

I've gone through buying clothes from different sources and makers. For it to work for me, it needs to be size Large Tall. I bought a few things from Casual Male, but their Large Tall is more like a Medium Tall. Also their stuff seemed to wear out too fast.

Eddie Bauer is where I shop for carry shirts these days almost exclusively. I know you're probably thinking Jeez EB is pricey. Retail new, you would be correct. I tend to buy from their clearance rack in the back of the store. There is also an Eddie Bauer Outlet near me. $20 is my limit for a shirt from EB, but $12-$15 each is where I like to stay and I usually can.

Ten clearance rack EB shirts for $20 each is $200. Where are you gonna find a new gun for $200?

Cross Breed

I quite comfortably and easily conseal a sig pro using the Cross Breed Supertuck Delux. You would be doing yourself a favor by looking into one. The more you wear one the more it becomes part of you, also consider a good gun belt for a stable platform.
Good luck and God speed
Merry Christmas

You might have to end up carrying it in a fanny pack or some other type of carry. It is not my favorite way but here in Texas where much of the year is hot it sometimes is the only thing you can do. Of course as you already noted the best thing, when you can fit it in your budget, would be to get a smaller, more easy to conceal firearm. Tell everyone to you will take money for Christmas and put it towards a new gun.

Interesting! I'm in the Texas Panhandle region. Most of ranchers around here wear Western clothing which is not tucked in 7/365. I did recently observe a gun store employee wearing a Fanny Pack case in front. Barely noticed it...

Just wondering, in "Texas" other than the yuppie Dallas area...lol...just how PC a fanny pack wearing would look for "straight" guys in the summer (unless one wasn't jogging, etc.)

Agree that patterned, slightly larger, and/or cotton/twill shirts are less likely to print...

Comments?

Interesting! I'm in the Texas Panhandle region. Most of ranchers around here wear Western clothing which is not tucked in 7/365. I did recently observe a gun store employee wearing a Fanny Pack case in front. Barely noticed it...

Just wondering, in "Texas" other than the yuppie Dallas area...lol...just how PC a fanny pack wearing would look for "straight" guys in the summer (unless one wasn't jogging, etc.)

Agree that patterned, slightly larger, and/or cotton/twill shirts are less likely to print...

Comments?

They are not that uncommon around here in the summer time. Of course when I see someone with one the first thing I think of is "They are packing heat" even though of course not necessarily everyone with one is. I carry in a holster most of the time with a loose shirt over it or a jacket as the weather gets cooler. Also in cooler weather I have a leather vest with built in gun pockets that I like to use.

I wear a fanny pack in the summer when I run or ride my bicycle. You would never know I was carrying. I use the following.

KA-BAR TDI Fanny Pack

Link Removed

Sig 220

i carry a full size P200 in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. I lower the holster so the grip is jjust above the belt line and use about 15degrees of cant. Works beautiful. Just not not super comfortable on a 300 mile trip in the car with that long barrel.

I quite comfortably and easily conseal a sig pro using the Cross Breed Supertuck Delux. You would be doing yourself a favor by looking into one. The more you wear one the more it becomes part of you, also consider a good gun belt for a stable platform.
Good luck and God speed
Merry Christmas

Plus ONE on a "Supertuck" deluxe!

I can easily conceal my XDM40 in a Supertuck worn in a full cant. (even under a golf shirt)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back