Trojan virus on this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

croute

While visiting this site the last couple days, both of my anti-virus protection programs are catching a trojan virus attempting to download. Just wanted to make the site owners and everyone in here aware. If you don't have a program to prevent this from installing on your computer, I suggest you get one and run it.

Get a Mac... :)
I has nothing to do with what operating system you use in this case. The OP did not say which he was using but I hate to say that this site, just like other social websites, often track their users. If you are using Firefox you can download a plugin that blocks site tracking. I use a plugin for Firefox call DNTMe which stands for DoNotTrackMe. I just opened it and I am currently blocking 3 social media websites and 10 others listed as company websites. If you have or use Firefox the plugin is free but I don't know if it will work for IE or any of the others since I only use Firefox. In case of the OP, it is possible that your virus software has detected the tracking efforts and tired to warn you. You could also adjust your browser to refuse cookies.

For those of you that use Firefox, here is the link.... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/donottrackplus/?src=search

I use the Ghostery plug-in for Firefox. It also blocks trackers, advertising, widgets, analytics, and beacons, whatever that is. I haven't had my anti-virus alert on any of these pages. It tells you what all it blocks and some web sites have about a dozen things that get blocked. There are a few sites that don't work right if everything is blocked and I don't block analytics or widgets so I don't have any problems with it.

Most likely case is OP has a rootkit that isn't being seen by his current AV products. That rootkit is sitting in the background doing things unnoticed. Get Malwarebytes AntiRootkit and scan. Also try HitMan Pro. Both free to use. Hitman is free for 1 month but requires no information.

I clean at least 1 PC a week infected with ZeroAccess rootkit. It does the same things you described.

If your PC is actually clean, next most likely scenario is one of the advertisers is pushing off its work to a third party and junk is coming from there, not usacarry.com.

I do all my email and internet connections on either my Linux computer, Solaris computer, or my FreeBSD server.
Also, using Firefox with pertinent plugins.
I have one Windows computer that is needed to run some software, it is not hooked to the internet.

Get a Mac... :)
Won't help. Macs are not safer. I worked computer security in my last job and I'm certified in it. Macs just weren't targeted as much because they had minimal market share. Hackers like to boast, and taking down 400,000 Windows machines is better to brag about than taking down 40,000 Macs. That's starting to change over the past few years. As the market share for Macs has been increasing, so has their incident rate for falling victim to malware. So basically you're back down to the same old Mac and PC differences. You can't change a Mac configuration much because it's controlled by Apple, but you can highly customize a PC. A PC gives you the most commonality with other computers around the world, but nothing beats a Mac for high power graphics work. It's really a matter of personal preference and what fits you best, much like guns.

I don't know why you would be getting alerts. I've had the site scanned and we're also being reported as clean at the following anti-virus sites:

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=usacarry.com

usacarry.com | McAfee SiteAdvisor Software ? Website Safety Ratings and Secure Search

The OP wasn't real clear about what happened to his 'puter, but it sounds like it might be similar to something that happened to me awhile back, and I think I made you aware of it, Luke. Maybe not, but anyway, I clicked on one of the ads to one of the weapons manufacturers that advertises on this site. I won't name the site, because I subsequently found out it doesn't really matter, the "System Check" exploit can be triggered from multitudes of sites. Apparently, a small System Check popup is planted on our computers through cookies or other small bits of info we gather as we surf. It sits and waits for a "trigger" bit of info when you visit a site that has been implanted with that bit of software. Neither the site nor the computer it triggers is infected with the exploit itself, visiting the site just launches the System Check popup that's been sitting resident on your computer. It's when you fall for the come-on that you infect your computer. You do that by clicking on some kind of "Scan Now" or "OK" button. If you make that click, recovering from it can be very difficult. I'm embarrassed to say that I found out the hard way, and before I found a real cure, I lost a ton of files when I tried to do a system restore while the exploit was still active.

So anyway, if this sounds anything like what happened to the OP, a good guide on how to cure your 'puter can be found here. You'll find as you're reading about System Check that it is not a "virus" or "trojan" or anything that comes from USA Carry. Most likely the trigger is just transmitted either by clicking on an ad here, or maybe as someone else said, being "pushed" through the servers housing one (or more) of those ads. Hope that helps.

Blues

My computer is fine (clean), I just received info pop-ups that my anti-virus was catching stuff popping up on here.

The OP wasn't real clear about what happened to his 'puter, but it sounds like it might be similar to something that happened to me awhile back, and I think I made you aware of it, Luke. Maybe not, but anyway, I clicked on one of the ads to one of the weapons manufacturers that advertises on this site. I won't name the site, because I subsequently found out it doesn't really matter, the "System Check" exploit can be triggered from multitudes of sites. Apparently, a small System Check popup is planted on our computers through cookies or other small bits of info we gather as we surf. It sits and waits for a "trigger" bit of info when you visit a site that has been implanted with that bit of software. Neither the site nor the computer it triggers is infected with the exploit itself, visiting the site just launches the System Check popup that's been sitting resident on your computer. It's when you fall for the come-on that you infect your computer. You do that by clicking on some kind of "Scan Now" or "OK" button. If you make that click, recovering from it can be very difficult. I'm embarrassed to say that I found out the hard way, and before I found a real cure, I lost a ton of files when I tried to do a system restore while the exploit was still active.

So anyway, if this sounds anything like what happened to the OP, a good guide on how to cure your 'puter can be found here. You'll find as you're reading about System Check that it is not a "virus" or "trojan" or anything that comes from USA Carry. Most likely the trigger is just transmitted either by clicking on an ad here, or maybe as someone else said, being "pushed" through the servers housing one (or more) of those ads. Hope that helps.

Blues

Not on Ubuntu! :)

And Rhino...unix is much harder to write code for than windows. That's the other thing. Apple already has the best programmers, you get what you pay for. You want a Ferrari, you gotta shell out the money. You can't buy a Kia and expect to have a high performance and well made machine. Same thing goes with computers. Buying any windows based machine is like buying a Kel Tec. Makes you say "oops."

You can't buy a Kia and expect to have a high performance and well made machine. Same thing goes with computers. Buying any windows based machine is like buying a Kel Tec. Makes you say "oops."
The only time I have ever said "oops" is the few times I talked myself into thinking that I might would like an Apple product. Overpriced, overrated, worse than Windows as far as being geek-friendly, and packed full of proprietary hardware.

Buying an Apple product is like buying a Lexus. Its pretty and usually has a feature or two you can't get on other cars, costs twice as much as anything else, costs three times as much to repair, nearly no aftermarket equipment, but when you get down to it, it is just a Toyota, and not good for much else than driving up and down the road. The people that own them think that they have the best thing on the market.....and they constantly have to remind themselves of it by telling that to everyone else.

I have never heard a geek say: "I just built a bad-ass Mac."

The only thing they build that is even mildly interesting to me are the workstations....and they have PC processors and PC graphics. The cheapest one out there worth having is four grand, and I could build a much more powerful PC for less than half that.

Now, if I were an illustrator, or into movie production, I'd probably use an Apple product because of the software. Other than that......

LOL....I finally got wise and ditched my iPhone for a new Windows Phone. Now I finally have a smart phone that I am happy with.

The only time I have ever said "oops" is the few times I talked myself into thinking that I might would like an Apple product. Overpriced, overrated, worse than Windows as far as being geek-friendly, and packed full of proprietary hardware.

Buying an Apple product is like buying a Lexus. Its pretty and usually has a feature or two you can't get on other cars, costs twice as much as anything else, costs three times as much to repair, nearly no aftermarket equipment, but when you get down to it, it is just a Toyota, and not good for much else than driving up and down the road. The people that own them think that they have the best thing on the market.....and they constantly have to remind themselves of it by telling that to everyone else.

I have never heard a geek say: "I just built a bad-ass Mac."

The only thing they build that is even mildly interesting to me are the workstations....and they have PC processors and PC graphics. The cheapest one out there worth having is four grand, and I could build a much more powerful PC for less than half that.

Now, if I were an illustrator, or into movie production, I'd probably use an Apple product because of the software. Other than that......

LOL....I finally got wise and ditched my iPhone for a new Windows Phone. Now I finally have a smart phone that I am happy with.

Then clearly you haven't bought yourself a Mac tower. We don't need to put in new motherboards and a new processor and change the whole machine out for this reason...we already have 5 times the processing power you have in your new just off the line pc. The only reason PC manufacturers list their processors as being these absurdly high numbers is because they are behind on pipeline technology. Consumers are easily duped into thinking that bigger numbers means better, though you are comparing two completely different and unique architechtures. pipelines are the real measure of cpu speed. PCs generally take over three times as long to process information than macs because of their design. There are so many delays in processing with a pc that it isn't funny. so a 300mhz powerpc g3 with a 100 mhz bus speed is faster than a 1.2 ghz pentium 4 with even a 200 mhz bus speed. For example, get a state of the art pc with a 52x dvd drive and a g5 tower with the same and burn a dvd to the hard drive with the same roxio product. which is done faster? which one crashed? Sinve you don't do graphic design, applynthe same test to a simple cd rip in itunes. Try copying a few gigabytes of music to your ipod and time it. (You can't possibly be referring to an ipod as a mistake. i got the square nano and i still use it for over 6 hours a day. battery is as good as the day i bought it 6 years ago. besides the updates and one reset due to a bad download, it's perfect.). also, we can over-clock the cpu on a mac for free. all you do is move a few jumpers and add a fan to deal with the extra heat. I did it to mine and gave myself 30% more power and only had to buy a $5 fan to keep it cool. The reason you can buy a Mac and trade it back in almost a decade later for roughly a third what you paid for it (vs being told "i don't want that crap" by any reseller when you bring in your pc a year later) is because you can put a new version of linux or unix on it long after the version of OS X you are using becomes obsolete for browsing and completely reclaim your machine (and if you're really good, capitalize on the power. and linux is free!). Don't believe me? Ask Microsoft! They use Apple machines to produce their system! They also contracted Apple to fix the problems with their Xbox360 so they could release it, which has an OS oddly similar in look and feel to Windows 8. And it still crashes.

If you bought a mac in the mid to late 90s (before the g3 and return of Steve Jobs), i feel for ya. I literally have an apple museum in my office. My least favorite are the power pc 603 & 604s. My favorites are the pizza box 68ks and g3s and up. I even have a few Umax clones, basically build it yourself Macs filled with tons of SCSI hard drives, flashed pc video cards and crammed full of games, obsolete graphic and web design programs...etc etc etc....ome has an internal Jaz drive. Cost me lots of money circa 2000 to have a 1 gb removable disk. So yeah, in 2000, I built myself a bad ass mac, which was also considered a supercomputer at the time. And I'm no geek. Just smart enough to figure out computers in 1995 when I messed up my uncles power mac 6100 and had only a half hour to fix it before he came home and beat me.

Windows users are typically content to defend their choice because of the money they put into it. PCs are a scam. It's $20 here here here and here and it seems like it's cheap until you realize 4 years later your machine is half the speed it was when you bought it and you've spent thousands of dollars on software and hardware that you can't use in your next one. That and the mysterious slowing down of the processor. (As an example: my g3 tower is still running at the same speed it came with in 1999. and it was a grade school computer. i got it for $5 at a school auction and it had a forest green crayon lying on top of the video card which was all but fused to it with dust.). And building a file system around files floating in free space is stupid. File system first! That way you can repair a fragmented drive and not compromise every last file on it, not to mention the issue of corrupted and unrepairable system files which leaves you with a shortened hardware lifespan and countless hours redownloading every update after you reinstall from the system dvd for the hundredth time.

As far as your phone goes, at least you didn't get the magical exploding Galaxy S3. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back