Trip to AR in late May, Hot Springs Area

KSShooter

Have read what's available.

I'm from a reciprocal state, so:

• I see "no gun" signage - is it uniform? Or just posted willy-nilly and in obscure places? Or up to the building owner on how to phrase it?
  • Illegal in State Parks? Didn't see anything specifically mentioning State Parks.
  • Some of Hot Springs is national park - illegal on the grounds (since Federal, it will be illegal in the buildings).
  • Corps-owned land - any of those weird situations where the state runs a park (Lake Ouchita, or Lake Catherine, for instance), but it's actually Corps-owned land, thus making it illegal?
  • Saw knife law limits concealed knives to 3.5" blades or less - correct?
  • Anything I didn't list that I ought to be aware of?

Oh - and are there so many places posted that it basically means you need to walk around "nekkid"? May make me rethink my plans.

A lot of your questions are answered by www.handgunlaw.us - Arkansas (also www.handgunlaw.us - USA for federal land/facilities) and knifeup.com - Arkansas, including the specific references to the laws. When in doubt, read the actual law that is in place now, i.e., check for the corresponding criminal code and google it if there is not a direct link.

As for Hot Springs National Park:

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please visit our state's website at: http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl_law.html#law.

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.

A lot of your questions are answered by www.handgunlaw.us - Arkansas (also www.handgunlaw.us - USA for federal land/facilities) and knifeup.com - Arkansas, including the specific references to the laws. When in doubt, read the actual law that is in place now, i.e., check for the corresponding criminal code and google it if there is not a direct link.

As for Hot Springs National Park:

Thanks, I've been to the site, and what I'm after here is also a "feel" for the place.

There's was an issue in KS about signage - "if someone doesn't post properly - is it ok? (this has really been corrected by the KS legislature in the last couple of years)" No one wants to be the poster boy or girl. Anyway, MANY places improperly posted signage (to the point you couldn't see it), and depending on locality, you'd might get the police/sheriff telling the building owner to read up on the AG's FAQs, or you'd got hauled in and given the fifth degree. So - how are the signs, and does anyone know how they act if you go into a place that's been "improperly" posted? Or just up to the individual - which goes back to my question about the "feel". Local LEO generally positive towards CCL, or "out to get ya"?

Is there a lot of signage in Hot Springs?

Thanks, I've been to the site, and what I'm after here is also a "feel" for the place.

There's was an issue in KS about signage - "if someone doesn't post properly - is it ok? (this has really been corrected by the KS legislature in the last couple of years)" No one wants to be the poster boy or girl. Anyway, MANY places improperly posted signage (to the point you couldn't see it), and depending on locality, you'd might get the police/sheriff telling the building owner to read up on the AG's FAQs, or you'd got hauled in and given the fifth degree. So - how are the signs, and does anyone know how they act if you go into a place that's been "improperly" posted? Or just up to the individual - which goes back to my question about the "feel". Local LEO generally positive towards CCL, or "out to get ya"?

Is there a lot of signage in Hot Springs?

I haven't been to Hot Springs for 10 years, so I can't really help you with accurate information. Also, Friend or Foe doesn't show much either.

However, there is something to be said in general about the proper signage issue. If you can't see the sign because it is hidden or incredibly tiny, it can't be held against you legally (such as if signs have the force of law, which is the case in Arkansas). If you can see the sign, but it doesn't adhere to the code, then any LEO that is called will ask you: "What of the 'NO FIREARMS' sign did you not understand?". You may get charged and need to defend your action in court. In any case, if you are asked to leave because you are carrying, you need to leave. I would also recommend to leave immediately if you discover a 'NO FIREARMS' (or similar) sign, posted properly or improperly. I also generally don't support businesses that post, so I do not have the problem of needing to go back to the car to disarm.

You may just want to check in this local forum to get local information: Link Removed

I haven't been to Hot Springs for 10 years, so I can't really help you with accurate information. Also, Friend or Foe doesn't show much either.

However, there is something to be said in general about the proper signage issue. If you can't see the sign because it is hidden or incredibly tiny, it can't be held against you legally (such as if signs have the force of law, which is the case in Arkansas). If you can see the sign, but it doesn't adhere to the code, then any LEO that is called will ask you: "What of the 'NO FIREARMS' sign did you not understand?". You may get charged and need to defend your action in court. In any case, if you are asked to leave because you are carrying, you need to leave. I would also recommend to leave immediately if you discover a 'NO FIREARMS' (or similar) sign, posted properly or improperly. I also generally don't support businesses that post, so I do not have the problem of needing to go back to the car to disarm.

You may just want to check in this local forum to get local information: Link Removed

Thanks. I'm NOT trying to push the signage issue. It's just that in KS - the AG was EXTREMELY SPECIFIC about the signage. Many places didn't properly post, in places you couldn't generally see, or in signs so small and buried with other "no smoking", etc. signs you just didn't see them unless you stood there looking at EVERY sign. So far as I know, the issue was never tested for out-and-out improper signage in KS - so I'm curious about other places.

I too, am one of those that just refuses to do business with a place that posts. Thanks - I'll check that forum too.

One of the easiest ways to keep the state gun laws easily accessible is to down load the LEGAL HEAT app on your smart phone.

One of the easiest ways to keep the state gun laws easily accessible is to down load the LEGAL HEAT app on your smart phone.

No thanks. Bought the app when it first came out. Noticed discrepancies, but didn't think much about it. In summer 2010, law changed in KS. Notified authors, but gent didn't believe me. Gave the AG's website (always good with a summarized FAQ). Ałso sent them contact info for state rifle association. 3 years later, was still unchanged and incorrect. I deleted the app. If you check last update of app, it was July 2014. There have been a few laws in states go into effect since that time, and still no update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't now how the app was 2010, I didn't load it till 2013. My experience is that it appears to update regularly when opened, depending on the state clicked. I opened several states tonight to check and found updates ranging all the way up to April 1, 2015.

Nothing is absolute. I've found that handgunlaw.us, usconcealedcarry.com as well as state sites to be inaccurate at times.

Things to Do in Hot Springs, Arkansas: See TripAdvisor's 9086 traveler reviews and photos of Hot ... Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals .

Have read what's available.

I'm from a reciprocal state, so:

Oh - and are there so many places posted that it basically means you need to walk around "nekkid"? May make me rethink my plans.

Nude resorts are great. Oh wait. That wasn't your question.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back