Travelling to Oregon with a Pistol Questions

jurist

I am travelling to Portland next week for the National Congress of American Indians meeting and prefer to at least have the option to travel armed where ever I go. That said, I never carry concealed at these conferences, but it would be nice to have a gun at the hotel. Also my CCW permit isn't recognized in Oregon. I understand Portland has gun laws that differ from the rest of the state. Is there anything that I should be aware of. Since I'll be flying the pistol and bullets will be in a locked container from the airport to the hotel and back. I'll not be taking it with me anywhere. This isn't like going to NYC where I can't have it in the hotel without a local permit is it?

Thanks,

Charles

Portland (and a few other scattered cities, including a few of Portland's suburbs,) have "no loaded open carry without a CHL" ordinances that are legal.

Other than that, in Oregon is it legal to open carry without a permit (again, in Portland it has to be unloaded,) and Oregon is a "weapons allowed unless specifically barred by private land/business-owner" state. Few businesses bar weapons, even in Portland, though. So you're good.

You can't carry in Portland without a chl, period. You're either gonna have to go illegal or keep it in your hotel/trunk

You also can't have loaded mags/clips in Portland, even if they're in a locked container (14A.60.010):

Link Removed

BTW, state reg ORS 166.170 voids their reg as it relates to emptying mags/clips (as I've read on other sites and it seems correct to me). We need a test case, care to volunteer? ;) I don't want to be the first either, so I unload everything and lock it up. Therefore, whenever I can avoid driving in/through that city, I do.

Last edited:
Thank y'all for the input. I carry daily while at home and traveling by car but when on a trip where I have to fly, I usually just keep it in the hotel. Its a pita to carry concealed to the airport and then repack my bag once to the airport and I usually don't get to leave the hotel much anyway to see the sights.

You can't carry in Portland without a chl, period. You're either gonna have to go illegal or keep it in your hotel/trunk

You can carry in Portland without a CHL. It has to be open, and it can't be loaded.

Note that Portland considers a removed-but-filled magazine as "loaded", although as luv2shoot says, Oregon statute is murky and may not allow Portland to define that. (AKA: Having a removed-but-filled magazine may be legal, as Portland may lack the authority to ban it.)

A filled revolver speedloader is legal in Portland for certain, as it as "stripper clip" (although if you're carrying around an M1 Garand, SKS, etc, even unloaded, you *WILL* get a visit from the police...)

fuhr52 when I checked with ATTY. General back in 2012 Idaho permit was OK if lived in Id and worked in Or.

Oregon does NOT recognize a permit from any other state.

Also it is now against the new law to have a loaded magazine, speed loader or stripper clip in Portland unless you also have an Oregon CHL.

fuhr52 when I checked with ATTY. General back in 2012 Idaho permit was OK if lived in Id and worked in Or.

Noooo. Oregon will not recognize out of state permits regardless of whether you work in Oregon or not. However, Oregon will issue non-resident carry permits to residents of adjacent states.

Basically, you're eligible to get an OR permit but cannot carry in OR until you do. Your ID permit does nothing in OR.

You need a CHL to carry in Oregon - but the good news is that it's not too hard to obtain. The Oregon State Sheriff's Association provides online concealed handgun license training that satisfies the Oregon educational requirement for handgun safety training to obtain your concealed handgun license. After completing this course you must make an appointment with your Sheriff but that's it.

Apart from the fact that the OP is from 2011 and talking about a visit next week to Portland by an out-of-state person who's permit is not honored:

• Oregon does not honor any other state Permit/Licenses.
  • Non-Resident Permits: Oregon will issue permits to people who are residents of states that border Oregon. Those states are Washington, California, Idaho and Nevada.
  • Open Carry is legal but the state gave local governments the right to adopt laws/ordinances on carrying loaded firearms by those without a permit/license to carry.
  • The City of Portland prohibits the possession of a loaded firearm in a public place without a license to carry (Link Removed).
Read the entire Link Removed of the Portland City Code for weapons regulations. Transporting an unloaded handgun and keeping it loaded in the hotel room in Portland is fine if one does not possess a license to carry. Open carry (in a public place) is illegal in Portland without such license.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back