Traveling to PA for a licensing class

NYANONYMOUS

I live in NY and have sportsmans/purchasers licenses for NY and NJ (the states I will be driving through). I am attending a licensing class in PA.

1. Can I bring my gun to PA for the class?
2. How should I transport it?
3. As its a 4+ hour drive, can I go to PA the night before and stay in a hotel so I can attend the class in the morning?
4. What is the best way to handle my situation?

First of all, welcome to USA Carry NYAnonymous.

As for how to transport your gun, leave it locked in the trunk, ammo locked separately, as per the firearm owner's protection act of 1980. Once you arrive in Pennsylvania, you can open carry without a permit (except in Philadelphia) as long as you're not in a vehicle. Hope this helps.

I live in NY and have sportsmans/purchasers licenses for NY and NJ (the states I will be driving through). I am attending a licensing class in PA.

1. Can I bring my gun to PA for the class?
Legally yes. Some instructors do not want real firearms in the classroom portion of the class. I don't know what requirements your instructor has.
2. How should I transport it?
Unloaded, locked case as far away from the driver/passenger compartment as possible per the FOPA or Link Removed. Ammunition in a separate container. A loaded magazine is often classified as a loaded firearm as a magazine is considered to be an integral part of the firearm for its normal intended operation. If you're in a truck then obviously the best solution is behind the passenger seat if you do not have a bed locker or other method of securing the firearm(s) in the bed of your truck.
3. As its a 4+ hour drive, can I go to PA the night before and stay in a hotel so I can attend the class in the morning?
Yes. PA doesn't have those stupid communist firearm laws that NJ and NY do.
4. What is the best way to handle my situation?
I believe I answered it above, if not I'll be happy to clarify.

First of all, welcome to USA Carry NYAnonymous.

As for how to transport your gun, leave it locked in the trunk, ammo locked separately, as per the firearm owner's protection act of 1980. Once you arrive in Pennsylvania, you can open carry without a permit (except in Philadelphia) as long as you're not in a vehicle. Hope this helps.

There is nothing in 18 USC 926(a) - FOPA that requires separation of the ammunition from the gun, as in locked separately. The ammo must be separated from the occupants of the vehicle, but not from the gun. The gun must be unloaded, of course. However the ammo and the gun can be in the same location/case/trunk with each other.

I traveled from MI to VA via OH and PA once two years ago and am still dealing with the fallout. On my return trip I got stopped in PA and had an unloaded pistol in my trunk. I'm now being charged with a violation of PA's 6106 law (poss w/o license) because I don't have a concealed carry permit. Quote all the laws you want but I'll tell you now - if you run into some outback nazi law enforcement types, once they drop the hammer on you, you're going to be digging out for quite some time. The court I'm dealing with doesn't even want to hear about 926A or they just don't believe in it.

get a ccw from PA. It's 26 dollars from Centre County, and they issue it in usually 7 days. You can transport in PA unloaded, and that means the magazine too.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back