Traveling to Mexico: How to bring a pistol and possibly get CCW?

dsusacarry

I'm a CA resident and have a VA non-resident CCW. I'm doing the 2009 holidays in AZ and plan to bring my 380ACP for carry, however, we're doing a portion of the holidays that trip in Mexico. I'd like to figure out how to get a permit for Mexico, hopefully for normal CCW, but I'd like to at least be able to bring my handgun in some way (since all my bags from AZ will be going to Mexico, I can't even bring it to AZ if I can't figure out a way to get it to Mexico too).

I know Mexico has very strict laws about "military calibers," but I'm not worried about that as 380ACP is a very specific example of an okay caliber to own down there. I have heard you need to get a waiver from the Mexican Consulate here in the US ahead of time, unfortunately I don't see any information on the consular site on this topic (at least not in English and my Spanish is poor).

I'm mostly interested in the academic information about how to get my handgun legally into Mexico with me, and even better how to carry it while there. I'm not particularly interested in "creative solutions" like, "bring the gun to AZ then mail it home when you travel to MX." While that would solve half my problem, its the boring half!

MexOnline.com - Your COMPLETE Online Guide To Mexico
Link Removed

The only other post about International I see on this entire (awesome!) site is http://www.usacarry.com/forums/traveling-handguns/7828-canada-gun-laws.html about Canada. I'm a frequent International traveler so I'd love to see this site expand with more information about other countries, especially since I also plan to visit South Africa and a few neighboring countries next year on a safari/hunting trip.

Keep in mind the name of the site; usacarry.com. It is the exception rather than the norm to be allowed to CCW in foreign countries which is why I don't leave the USA.

Best option is see if you can rent a safe deposit box at a border city or your last stay in AZ. When you return, retrieve it from the safe deposit box.

Countries gun laws - What countries can you bring guns into

A Practical Guide to Mexico's Gun Laws for Americans

Mexico
FIREARMS PENALTIES: The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against taking any type of firearm or ammunition into Mexico without prior written authorization from the Mexican authorities. Entering Mexico with a firearm, certain types of knives, or even a single round of ammunition is illegal, even if the weapon or ammunition is taken into Mexico unintentionally. The Mexican government strictly enforces laws restricting the entry of firearms and ammunition along all land borders and at airports and seaports. Violations by U.S. citizens have resulted in arrests, convictions, and long prison sentences.

Link Removed

Gun law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Firearms Regulations by Country - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

List of countries by gun ownership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Link Removed

Link Removed

Here is a link to a surprisingly good and complete article in English on carry in Mexico: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Mexico

I lived in Mexico for many years and still travel there often to visit family. As you will see from the article above, in spite of a constitutional guarantee of the right to "keep and bear arms" the laws in Mexico have been written since the early 1970s to make it illegal to have a gun outside of your residence, and to allow you to have it in your residence only under very close control of the federal government. In the case of a quick trip such as you describe, there is NO legal way to do that, the penalties are severe, and the US government will do nothing to help you if you get caught with a firearm or ammunition in Mexico.

It is possible to get a special permit for a long gun for a short
hunting trip, by applying to the Mexican consulate ahead of time. Plan on at least three months to process the application before your trip and follow the instructions assiduously.

I will not read a link for any "wiki" crap.
Quite a reputable source or not, your choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back