Traveling to Florida

palianid

I have a CCW permit in New York (resident) and a Utah CCW permit (non-resident), if I understand the reciprocal map correctly the only states recognizing these two permits are South Carolina and Florida. It is not possible to travel directly through from NY to SC in one days driving.
Am I reading the map correctly?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Neither Permit is honored in Florida...
Are you using this sites Map???
1st click on NY (or Utah) and then you will see the states that reciprocate in Blue..
Yes you can drive NYC to SC in about 14-15 hours.. It's a good 24 hours to Tampa. If you are upstate, add some time..

Suggestions.. Get a Non-Resident FL CCW.. Good in many states...

Hootman is right, you are reading the map backwards.

Your NY permit is not good in any state between NY and FL except NY. Your Utah permit is good in most of the states EXCEPT Maryland, South Carolina and Florida.

So once you get to Florida, your permit IS NOT VALID!

1) Florida only reciprocates. Since NY does not honor FL, FL will not honor NY. Recently FL dropped NV because NV stopped honoring FL permits
2) Florida only honors "Resident" permits, which I think is ironic since Florida perhaps issues more non-resident permits and any other state.

Your UT (NR) is valid in PA, VA, NC, & GA. You can carry a loaded piece in a car in SC, but it must be in the Glove Compartment.

Don't know when your trip is planned for, but if you frequently come to FL, consider getting a FL CWFL.

1) Florida only reciprocates. Since NY does not honor FL, FL will not honor NY. Recently FL dropped NV because NV stopped honoring FL permits
2) Florida only honors "Resident" permits, which I think is ironic since Florida perhaps issues more non-resident permits and any other state.

Your UT (NR) is valid in PA, VA, NC, & GA. You can carry a loaded piece in a car in SC, but it must be in the Glove Compartment.

Don't know when your trip is planned for, but if you frequently come to FL, consider getting a FL CWFL.

Nice post! And very interesting point about FL not honoring anybody elses non-res permits while issuing tons of them for themselves. Things that make you go hmmmm.... :ph34r: I wonder why that is?

Nice post! And very interesting point about FL not honoring anybody elses non-res permits while issuing tons of them for themselves. Things that make you go hmmmm.... :ph34r: I wonder why that is?

The whole "Who honors what' make my head swim. We live in MT (HOR) & FL, and do the R/T (by car) once a year. Aslo travel a lot in an RV, so to be legal every where, I have many states that I have to keep on top of.

There is no such thing as a Florida Non-Resident CWFL. It is simply a FL CWFL issued to someone that shows an address NOT in the State of FL. There is no difference in procedure or in the 'requirements' to obtain one between an FL resident, and someone who reside outside FL. I can also say this... form MY perspective, there is no difference in the 'requirements' to obtain a MT CWP and a FL CWFL - I have thme both.

Yet there are some states that ONLY honor my FL-"NR" CWFL (not my MT): KS, OH, DE and AL; some states that ONLY honor my MT CWP (because while the honor FL, they don't honor "NR"): CO and MI; and two states that honor Florida - but not FL-NR and that do NOT honor MT: SC and NH. Those are the things that really make me go hmmm... :ph34r: .... and one reason why I am very strong proponent of "National Right to Carry" and why when I had the opportunity to personally tell a US Senator that voted NO on the bill last summer, that while I respected his service, I think that got that vote completely wrong.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back