Traveling through SC...

JR7370

Greetings:

I travel by car from PA to FL every winter for a 2 to 3 month stay. I have just been issued a CC permit for my resident state of PA. There are existing reciprocity agreements with PA for all states that I will transit except SC.
Can I carry my handgun in the car and not on my person while traveling through SC. Once in GA and ultimately FL I am in compliance.

Thanks!

Looks like you can have in a glovebox or center console.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:
(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapons permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or
(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;
(10) a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving one's residence or changing or moving one's fixed place of business;
(14) a person engaged in firearms-related activities while on the premises of a fixed place of business which conducts, as a regular course of its business, activities related to sale, repair, pawn, firearms training, or use of firearms, unless the premises is posted with a sign limiting possession of firearms to holders of permits issued pursuant to item (12);
(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.
(16) Any person on a motorcycle when the pistol is secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar closed accessory container attached, whether permanently or temporarily, to the motorcycle.

a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance.

This is it. I would suggest that you put the weapon in the trunk when traveling thru SC on I-95. Be aware some of the local Police and Sheriffs Dept Officer Who patrol "Cocaine Alley" tend to be paranoid when they see a pistol in the Glove Box or Center Consul (although its legal). If you have to stop somewhere, the trunk is the safest place. Some of the towns along I-95 are not the safest places and auto-breakings are common. Once you get to Georgia,pull over to the welcome center in a remote area (away from prying eye) and holster up. If you must spend the night, you can take your handgun into the motel room with you without any problem. Be sure the motel is a reputable one and park under a nice bright light. Have a safe trip.

I'm a Retired LEO from SC and live here. Even I'll cautious in some of our small bergs.

[FONT=&quot]Traveling through SC: Not a resident and do not own any property. Am I correct I can travel through the state with a loaded handgun as long as it is in my glove compartment or console unlocked?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, arial, sans-serif] Thanks[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, arial, sans-serif]That was what I was planning to ask but I see that it was answered by Waffles. Thank you.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, arial, sans-serif]I will be fine once I hit Georgia. PA resident permit and Fla. non resident. I wish SC honored that Fl. non resident permit.
It has been awhile since I was here but I think I will be visiting again more often.
[/FONT]

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back