Traveling into ND

ggwash21

Im gonna be working in ND area for a few weeks, I have my MN,FL and UT permits. This is my first time traveling out of Mn any things to stay away from etc?

Im gonna be working in ND area for a few weeks, I have my MN,FL and UT permits. This is my first time traveling out of Mn any things to stay away from etc?

ND is fairly laid-back. It's got a strong gun and hunting culture not seen in very many states. LEO and the people don't tend to get real excited about concealed carry (don't open carry). One thing: do not carry in bars; you can in restaurants like Applebees, but no bars.

Long as you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. You will find everyone, including most LEO, to be pretty friendly.

I dont normally carry in bars anyways its bad news... Thanks for the info. LEO's dont get too excited from minnesota unless they are fresh out of school... Again thanks for the info
Gary

I'm in Minnesota but live close to ND. This part of their law has always stood out to me as something to know.

2. A person who possesses a firearm at a public gathering is guilty of a class B misdemeanor. For the purpose of this section, "public gathering" includes athletic or sporting events, schools or school functions, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, musical concerts, and individuals in publicly owned parks where hunting is not allowed by proclamation and publicly owned or operated buildings.

Hmmm, with all the other restrictions as to where one can't carry I think that about covers everything. You can't carry anywhere in ND. Well, just about. lol

When i lived in ND I DIDN't find the public gathering stuff too restrictive. Just pay attention and you will be ok.

So just a clarification, as I'll be visiting ND for the first time. First, the verbiage of the rules on retail establishments selling alcohol doesn't seem to exclude restaurants as most states do. Is there any where this is clarified? Also, as noted above, it seems that the "public gathering" verbiage insinuates that pretty much anytime you're with a group of people in public, you can't carry. Seems pretty restrictive to me...

Public gathering DOES NOT mean any gathering of more than 2 people in public. It is an arcane way of saying you can't carry in those few places listed: church, school events, political rallies, music concerts, govt owned buildings and city Parks. You can carry in a restaurant butyou must stay out of the bar area, which is usually a separate room. Handgunlaw.us lays it out pretty well.

North Dakota Concealed Carry Law and "clarified" are not generally used in the same statement. I'm glad I had a good CCW instructor for my ND license, otherwise I'd have made a TON of mistakes already. According to my instructor, when he looked into the alcohol ruling the general understanding was that you could not carry in any place of business that sold alcohol. It appears that this is a slightly different interpretation of the law than what Nickotym has found. I would strongly suggest you contact the ND Attorney General's office and get it straight from the horse's mouth to be safe.

I agree with Nick on the public ruling. It appears to have more to do with organized gatherings (rallys, concerts, etc...) and publicly owned property (excluding streets and sidewalks). Again, the NDAG would be the final word on this.

Since you are from Minnesota, please be aware that unlike MN, ND does NOT allow open carry. If you get caught with your weapon printing or visible, even for a second, you can be arrested. A local LEO I know informed me you can be charged with a felony for this.

If you get caught with your weapon printing or visible, even for a second, you can be arrested. A local LEO I know informed me you can be charged with a felony for this.

I would be interested in what you would be charged with. I was under the impression that with a permit, all carry methods are okay. See below:

North Dakota Century Code said:
62.1-03-01. Carrying handgun - Restrictions - Exceptions.
1. A handgun may be carried by a person not prohibited from possessing one by section
62.1-02-01 or any other state statute, in a manner not prohibited by section 62.1-02-10
if:
a. Between the hours of one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset, the
handgun is carried unloaded and either in plain view or secured.
b. Between the hours of one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise, the
handgun is carried unloaded and secured.
2. The restrictions provided in subdivisions a and b of subsection 1 do not apply to:
a. Any person possessing a valid North Dakota concealed weapons license or a
valid license issued by another state authorizing the person to carry a dangerous
weapon concealed if that state permits a holder of a valid North Dakota
concealed weapons license to carry a dangerous weapon concealed in that state
without obtaining a similar license from that state.

OpenCarry.Org has got lots of people (relative to state population :) ) that open carry without an issue. Also, see this thread and video on AR15.com

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back