Traveling in Ohio question

dryfly

I will soon be making a trip from Texas to Ohio. In checking, I find all the states I'll be traveling through have reciprocal CCL with Texas. The exception is Ohio.

So, when I cross into Ohio will I be legal if I unload my weapon, separate slide from frame, and store in back seat of my truck.

If this will not work plan B would be to carry a shotgun. I would assume this would be legal.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

That's strange....Ohio DOES allow Michigan CPL holders to carry in Ohio.

See link

Link Removed

Why wouldn't Texas have the same option?

Willard... your dad gum Red Wings have a stranglehold dynasty on the NHL:laugh: Dog gone Red Wings... always in the playoffs, always contending for Lord Stanley's cup!!! Arrggghhhh!!!:mad: They do have one of the best logos in hockey though:biggrin:

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack

Last edited:
I will soon be making a trip from Texas to Ohio. In checking, I find all the states I'll be traveling through have reciprocal CCL with Texas. The exception is Ohio.

So, when I cross into Ohio will I be legal if I unload my weapon, separate slide from frame, and store in back seat of my truck.

If this will not work plan B would be to carry a shotgun. I would assume this would be legal.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Lawriter - ORC - CHAPTER 2923: CONSPIRACY, ATTEMPT, AND COMPLICITY; WEAPONS CONTROL; CORRUPT ACTIVITY

You want 2923.16

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question.

(b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

Easiest thing to do is to get a cheap handgun case, unload the gun, oops - you also must unload the magazines too. Dang OHIO is ugly! So, unload gun, put the gun in the case with the empty magazines. Put the ammo in a separate storage container.

Last edited:
I don't like Ohio,or the whole Mid-west.
I was stuck in Illinois for 5 years for a job,and hated it there.
No gun rights.
Over taxed and scammed!!
I finally got back to where Concealed carry IS LEGAL!!
I would never go back to anti-gun Illinois or the mid-west again.
It's safer in the North West.

I called the state house in Ohio when I had to go there on a job a few years ago. I forget what department and who I spoke with, but he was very nice, and explained all the rules to me on the phone.

Essentially, you need to lock it up in a box and ammo someplace else when in your vehicle.

You may have it loaded in your hotel room because they have the Castle doctrine there, and you can have it loaded in your work place. Both are covered by the CD where you have a right to defend yourself regardless.

Thanks for the info. I'll only be in Ohio 2 nights while picking up a 5th wheel trailer. It sounds as if the Castle Doctrine will permit me to have the handgun loaded while I spend the night in the RV.

I have several cases that will serve as storage, but none of them have a lock. Apparently "locked" is not a strict requirement.

Doesn't sound as if there will be any problem to separate the handgun and ammo, and just get out of there as quick as possible. Man..........it's good to live in Texas!!

Jerry

Willard... your dad gum Red Wings have a stranglehold dynasty on the NHL:laugh: Dog gone Red Wings... always in the playoffs, always contending for Lord Stanley's cup!!! Arrggghhhh!!!:mad: They do have one of the best logos in hockey though:biggrin:

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack

that's cause the red wings are awesome!:)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back