Lawriter - ORC - CHAPTER 2923: CONSPIRACY, ATTEMPT, AND COMPLICITY; WEAPONS CONTROL; CORRUPT ACTIVITY
I will soon be making a trip from Texas to Ohio. In checking, I find all the states I'll be traveling through have reciprocal CCL with Texas. The exception is Ohio.
So, when I cross into Ohio will I be legal if I unload my weapon, separate slide from frame, and store in back seat of my truck.
If this will not work plan B would be to carry a shotgun. I would assume this would be legal.
Thanks in advance,
You want 2923.16
2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.
(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.
(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one
of the following ways:
(1) In a closed package, box, or case;
(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:
(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question.
(b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.
Easiest thing to do is to get a cheap handgun case, unload the gun, oops - you also must unload the magazines too. Dang OHIO is ugly! So, unload gun, put the gun in the case with the empty magazines. Put the ammo in a separate storage container.