Traveling from Sc to Fla

parshooter

Hello, I plan on traveling from SC to Fl with an overnight stay in Ga. I understand that Ga does not honor my SC permit. What steps do I need to take in order to stay legal? I appreciate the help, saves a bunch of surfing time. Thanks for any and all replies, D

3 Step rule, and or locked in ur glovebox or trunk, with the mag out should satisfy them if u got pulled for some reason..

I would prefer Locked in the glovebox..(JIC)

I am surprised that GA, does not have reciprocity with SC.. Sister state...
Here is a handy site to check for each state laws...

Link Removed

I'm not 100% sure but have been told that it needs to be unloaded and not concealed. Just to be safe lock it in a case and put it in the trunk. Or you could just not stay over in Georgia. When's the trip? If you mail off $26 and an application to the center county pa sherrifs office-including a copy of your dl and sc cwp you can get a pa non res permit and be covered. Just do it soon because they will not be doing permits by mail as of march 31 st.

Enjoy your stay in Georgia !! and the law regarding having your gun...

Found In LexisNexis by searching for "16-11-126" or in the TOC under:
Title 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
Chapter 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
Article 4 - DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
Part 3 - CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

The code sections are all Copyright © 2010 by The State of Georgia

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Possession and carrying a concealed weapon; penalty for violating licensing requirement

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

There is no requirement that you unload and lock it up. DO NOT carry it outside of your vehicle except to go to/from your place of accommodation (hotel or friend's home).

Enjoy your stay in Georgia !! and the law regarding having your gun...

There is no requirement that you unload and lock it up. DO NOT carry it outside of your vehicle except to go to/from your place of accommodation (hotel or friend's home).

AAHH.... Someone who Knows...... I used to live in GA. and got my 1st. concealed permit there...

Traveling from SC to FL

You are right that GA does not recognize a SC permit. In order to be legal since you are spending the night in GA, from the time you enter GA until you leave you need to store your gun in the luggage carry portion of your vehicle (trunk of car, rear of SUV/van). If you are only passing thru GA without spending the night, you would not need to do this. I believe that you are able to carry in GA if you stop only for gas or food, but not overnight.

Since FL does recognize SC, you are good there as long as you abide by FL laws.

You are right that GA does not recognize a SC permit. In order to be legal since you are spending the night in GA, from the time you enter GA until you leave you need to store your gun in the luggage carry portion of your vehicle (trunk of car, rear of SUV/van). If you are only passing thru GA without spending the night, you would not need to do this. I believe that you are able to carry in GA if you stop only for gas or food, but not overnight.

Since FL does recognize SC, you are good there as long as you abide by FL laws.

tg... please see the code section that I have quoted above. Unloading and locking the guns up IS NOT REQUIRED.

I second what BruceGAtl said at 7:53 this morning. Your car is your domicile while in Georgia.

More info -- see Georgia Carry, Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

It will cost more, but for about $100 NH gives you a lot more reciprocal states, and they will issue upon receipt of your check -- they didn't even wait for mine to clear! Probably b/c SLED did the heavy lifting:) Took maybe a week including mailing time.

Get app at Link Removed and submit with $ and copy of your SC CWP. Use "self defense" as your reason.

Even with a permit you cannot carry in rest area buildings, though! :-( So use McD :)

No GA/SC Reciprocity

I am surprised that GA, does not have reciprocity with SC.. Sister state...

From what I've read, SC requires a training course before issuing a CCP and, before they will recognize a permit from another state, requires that state to have permit prerequisites at least as stringent as theirs. Since GA (and many other states) do not require special training before issuing their permits, SC will not recognize them. GA "reciprocates" by recognizing permits from states that recognize GA permits and will not recognize permits from states that do not recognize GA permits. Thus SC permits are not recognized/reciprocated in GA.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back