Travel to New Orleans

ncraig

I'm heading to New Orleans soon and want to know what I can/cannot do with my CC? Anyone have any experience on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Just got back from a trip down through Arkansas, across Louisiana to Nola, and back up through Mississippi. The only 'No Guns' signs I saw were in MS. My CCL is recognized in all those states and I carried, with confidence, all over the French Quarter.

Link Removed

Read the statutes for yourself so you know what they say. Find out if LA reciprocates with your State's CHP. Then know that regardless of black letter law NOPD has a track record of confiscating motorists guns irrespective of their permit status and the motorist rarely gets the gun back. If you take a gun to NOLA you'd better take documentation proving it's yours.

Link Removed

Read the statutes for yourself so you know what they say. Find out if LA reciprocates with your State's CHP. Then know that regardless of black letter law NOPD has a track record of confiscating motorists guns irrespective of their permit status and the motorist rarely gets the gun back. If you take a gun to NOLA you'd better take documentation proving it's yours.

Link Removed

I agree, read the statutes yourself. The link is to a nine year old article, not sure how much stock I'd put in that.

I agree, read the statutes yourself. The link is to a nine year old article, not sure how much stock I'd put in that.

How hard is it to take a few extra precautions and have a means to prove the gun you're carrying belongs to you?

I've looked through them, but was looking for some first hand accounts also. I do have another question...it says one cannot carry in a place that serves alcohol. Does that mean ANY location or like in Alabama where the primary means is alcohol?

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

I've looked through them, but was looking for some first hand accounts also. I do have another question...it says one cannot carry in a place that serves alcohol. Does that mean ANY location or like in Alabama where the primary means is alcohol?

What is the wording of the statute?

When in doubt assume "any" means "any"

Here is what I read:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf

R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued
pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the
following:
 A law enforcement office, station, or building;
 A detention facility, prison, or jail;
 A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
 A polling place;
 A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
 The state capitol building;
 Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law,
except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the
firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
 Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)
 A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity; (means be in the
parade or part of the demonstration)
 Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail
permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised
Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises. Note: This means a
Bar. Restaurants are OK but you can’t carry in the bar area of a restaurant.
 Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful
custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit
issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such
concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.
Note: 14:95.2 simply states that section cannot regulate what the state deems a constitutionally
protected activity. Most are of the opinion that this does not conflict with 18 USC 922(q), and that
the federal government acknowledges how a state views certain rights toward property holders. As
such, having a firearm entirely within a motor vehicle while on school property does not violate the
law. Also See Parking Lot Storage Law Section concerning firearms in vehicles in these restricted
locations.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back