Travel to Florida from Virginia-flying...

mini.ben

As a Virginia CHP holder, am I able to transport by plane and carry concealed in FL without any extra paperwork? I can look up the flying rules no problem, I'm just curious if I should bother for my time down there... Thanks in advance to anyone that's knowledgeable on the subject.

Assuming you are a Virginia resident, you shouldn't have any trouble other than the kind TSA creates. Follow the rules for your flight and you'll be fine.

+1 on what wolfhunter said. Also, check out the Florida thread "Flying Out To Fl.". I flew out to FL. and was asking similiar question/s, both for airport and FL. (well, in my case, it was more for the airport).).

I've flown many times with a gun(s) both handgun(s) and rifle(s).

Make sure you use a LOCKABLE hard plastic case of the appropriate size for your weapon. Use a good combonation lock so you won't lose a key. Remove all ammo from the weapon. Transport your ammo in a factory ammo box (the one it came from in the store, or another calibers will work if the rounds fit properly). You do not have to remove ammo from magazines, but I do it anyway. You can place the locked case inside your check-in luggage, so pack accordingly.

When you approach the counter, first tell the ticket agent you are checking in a firearm, BEFORE placing it in front of him/her. Present the un-locked case on the counter and open it for inspection. They will ask if it is unloaded, and then will place a red/white card inside and then tell you to lock it.

When you go to the check-in baggage screening/x-ray area inform the TSA official that you have a checked firearm in that specific bag. WAIT there until it passes through to make sure there are no further questions/problems. Board your plane.

Upon arrival at the destination airport make sure to get to the luggage carousel ASAP, as that is the place most bags are stolen from.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I spoke at length with Southwest that we'll be flying on and was told Ammo needs to be separate from the locked gun box, but that the ammo itself didn't need to be locked, only in it's own container (The original ammo container is perfectly acceptable.)

Now, time to figure out if the box my PT145 is solid enough to be locked appropriately. I've kind of wanted a box that'll hold 2-3 pistols anyhow for when I run to the range.

As long as your permit is a resident permit, you're good to go. If not, you can still carry in the glovebox or console of a vehicle.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I spoke at length with Southwest that we'll be flying on and was told Ammo needs to be separate from the locked gun box, but that the ammo itself didn't need to be locked, only in it's own container (The original ammo container is perfectly acceptable.)

Now, time to figure out if the box my PT145 is solid enough to be locked appropriately. I've kind of wanted a box that'll hold 2-3 pistols anyhow for when I run to the range.

I use a Pelican 1490 case. I can comfortably fit a Glock 23, (2) Glock 27s', A Taurus 66 (6" barrel), 3 magazines for each pistol and still have room for a couple more guns. The case is very durable and Pelican offers an excellent warranty. I paid around $150 for my case. I can check the case through as a single piece of baggage (my case is "sand" colored, so most folks think it's computer or electronics equipment), or I can place it in another piece of luggage.

A more economical option would be a heavy duty metal or plastic tool box. Most folks will assume that there are power tools or high end hand tools in the box. I've found tool boxes for under $50.

I highly recommend against transporting your firearms in the "factory" case. The construction isn't of the highest quality and as you're well aware, most of the boxes have the manufacturer's name and identifying info on the outside of the case.

Good luck in your search.

gf

Southwest is the carrier I almost allways use and NEVER had a problem. If the factory case has a hole for a lock use it. If not buy one of the single pistol cases that has the 2 flip up locks on it from a sporting goods store. You CAN put the locked case INSIDE one of your checked bags, which makes it less obvious. You CAN put the ammo in the SAME checked bag, or INSIDE the same HARDSIDE locked gun case.

You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

You can leave ammo in the magazine/clip just put it openside down in a magazine pouch.

"You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard)." TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back