Transporting Handguns thru states with no reciprocity

junmard4th

Hi all!
Due to the nature of my work, I travel from state to state. I am a GA resident with GA GWL and a non resident FL CCW, I used to live in FL. Now, my problem is when I'm working in SC where my GA GWL and FL non resident is CCW is not recognized. Any idea how can I go transporting my carry handgun in SC?
TIA.

Posted using my phone.

Hi all!
Due to the nature of my work, I travel from state to state. I am a GA resident with GA GWL and a non resident FL CCW, I used to live in FL. Now, my problem is when I'm working in SC where my GA GWL and FL non resident is CCW is not recognized. Any idea how can I go transporting my carry handgun in SC?
TIA.

Posted using my phone.
Yep
South Carolina Code Section 16-23-20 says “It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:”
Subsection (9) provides the vehicle exception and allows a person to carry a handgun in a vehicle if the handgun is:
(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;

What does this mean? It means that it is legal to carry a pistol as long as it is secured in a “closed glove compartment” or “closed console”. The handgun can be loaded or unloaded as long as it is secured in the glove compartment or console. You can also carry in another “closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.” But what does that sentence mean? Generally, this means if you have an SUV, you can store the gun in the back as long as it is in a suitcase, closable bag, etc. You can also have a handgun in the “closed trunk” of the car as well.

Improper Locations to Carry a Handgun

Many people that get arrested and charged with violating this statute make the mistake of having a handgun in 1 of 4 places. Under a seat, between the console and the driver’s seat, in the map pocket of the door, or in a pocket behind a front seat. All of these places are in violation of the statute and are illegal.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back