Transporting Handguns Question

JeanP

I'm confused. According to CA law, carrying a handgun concealed within a vehicle is prohibited without a license. In other words, a handgun in a glove compartment or under the seat, is considered to be concealed. If you place your handgun in a locked container in other that those 2 places is NOT concealed. That much I understand. Here's my problem. I drive a pickup. Obviously I don't want my handgun in the bed of the truck. However, is it legal on the floor of the back seat (crew cab) as long as it is a locked container. If I cover it up, while it's on the floor, in case I have to leave the truck, am I then "concealing" it. This question came to my mind when I was going home from the range and needed to stop at the grocery for dinner. In order to be safe, I went home, left my gun there, and returned to the store. Waste of time and gas. My husband's pickup has locked storage under the back seats on both the passenger and driver's side. Does he need to have his guns in a separate locked container within the locked storage? Even my local sheriff deputy didn't know.

I'm not a CA resident & I've never been there, so let me make that disclaimer.

"Concealed" usually means you're carrying the firearm on you body (or in your purse) so other cannot see it. "Open carry" is when you're carrying & everyone can see it, like in an outside the waistband holster.

Usually if a firearm is locked in a case, then its considered stored or secured. If its in a locked case & unloaded, you can say you're "transporting" it. You're taking it from home to the range. That's transporting. I'd check with you're state's pro-gun assocation, which is a good idea to be a member of. Or as your local police. See what their take is & follow that.

Revolverboy, I know what concealed carry is (that's why I'm on this site). My question has nothing to do with CCW. It has to do with the confusing CA handgun transportation law. When I referenced carrying concealed in a vehicle, I was referring to in the glovebox, under the seat, or under a coat or other object on the front seat (which is illegal in CA without a CCW permit). I have asked both a local sheriff's deputy and highway patrolman. Neither one could give me accurate answers concerning where and how to transport handguns in a truck. The wording of the law seems to be directed at cars where you have a locked trunk. Sure wouldn't want to transport in the bed of the truck. I also have checked on the CalGuns.net website with similar results.

Since you say you've never been to CA, maybe you should spend some time here. Lots to see and do. Just don't bring you're guns.

...is it legal on the floor of the back seat (crew cab) as long as it is a locked container. If I cover it up, while it's on the floor, in case I have to leave the truck, am I then "concealing" it.

Being a recently reformed CA resident I think I may be able to help.

This only applies to handguns, long guns are treated differently. I'm am unsure of the wording of AB1527, the Long Gun Open Carry Ban that goes into effect on January 1st 2013, so this may change!

As long as the firearm is UNLOADED and in a LOCKED case that is not attached to the vehicle (ie: glove box) it is no longer considered concealed by CA law and may be transported in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. You may even keep an unloaded firearm in an unlocked case in the trunk of a passenger car.You may even walk around in public with that unloaded firearm in the locked case if you wanted to!

This link may help answer any questions you may have, or at least get you on the right track to research a bit more BEFORE you go out and do something you aren't sure about the laws.
This question came to my mind when I was going home from the range and needed to stop at the grocery for dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

CA's hostile legislative nature, and the general public's ignorance toward the 2A, was one (small) reason I chose to leave, I pray things will get better in my home state, but don't hold much hope.

Glad I could help!

Last edited:
Automobile carry:
California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term “locked container” means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

Can I ask what the purpose of a locked container is? How long does it take to unlock the container and remove the firearm? If you decided to do something criminal while the firearm was in a locked container couldn't you just remove it fairly quickly? What is in the water that you folks in California drink? Could it be too much sunshine? How long will you tolerate the loony tune characters that wield nonsense over your individual liberties? California is a beautiful land. For that I am envious. But because of the absolute craziness of your elected officials I won't step on your soil on a bet. Who the hell elects them anyway? Do some of the voters vote for the third party candidate as a way of protest? So they are willing to sacrifice all of their liberties as a way of showing how "smart" and informed they are. God help us all! After prop 8 you were informed how much value the state places on your individual liberty...none!

Can I ask what the purpose of a locked container is?

It makes the most vocal people feel safer because it makes them think they are protected from the guns carried by the people who would not use a gun to commit a crime with anyway. That's all. Nothing else. The side effect is that it makes it easier for criminals to victimize the public.

It makes the most vocal people feel safer because it makes them think they are protected from the guns carried by the people who would not use a gun to commit a crime with anyway. That's all. Nothing else. The side effect is that it makes it easier for criminals to victimize the public.

Tongue in cheek. I know why the stupid locked container nonsense. There was a folk tale I liked when I was a kid in the 50's. It was about a family that would not go into the basement because an ax was stuck in the ceiling. They were afraid that if they went into the basement the ax would fall out and hit them in the head. Hoping that California residents get it!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back