Transporting guns in MD.

sjmiller0

I'm trying to figure out if I can even bring a pistol to Maryland. Here is the deal. I live in California and I am on travel for work in Virginia. My parents live in Maryland and I may or may not go shooting. It depends on time and scheduling. From what I have read I have to be on my way to or from the range or the gun shop. Can I put the gun in the back of my SUV locked up and unloaded and travel to my parents house?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Thanks Capt. Frank. I ended up not bringing my pistol. I just wasn't sure and I didn't want to break any laws. Looks like I would have been ok if I had it locked up in the back. Once again thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Link Removed

Just to let you know for future info, you have to lock the ammo and the firearm in separate locations in the vehicle. It's a giant pain in the ass to deal with the moronic state of Maryland. I live in WV thank God, so I don't have to go there much.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info cds0699. It's the same in California, so I'm used to it. It should not be this hard to carry a gun.

Just to let you know for future info, you have to lock the ammo and the firearm in separate locations in the vehicle. It's a giant pain in the ass to deal with the moronic state of Maryland. I live in WV thank God, so I don't have to go there much.

Thanks for the info cds0699. It's the same in California, so I'm used to it. It should not be this hard to carry a gun.

No, it is not the same in California.

Link Removed

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

No worries, I was pretty vague. What do you do in the Navy? I'm a retired FCC. I still work for the Navy as a civilian.

I'm trying to figure out if I can even bring a pistol to Maryland. Here is the deal. I live in California and I am on travel for work in Virginia. My parents live in Maryland and I may or may not go shooting. It depends on time and scheduling. From what I have read I have to be on my way to or from the range or the gun shop. Can I put the gun in the back of my SUV locked up and unloaded and travel to my parents house?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Here's what I find posted on handgunlaw.us about TRANSPORTING guns thru MD, but I'm not sure if travel to your parents house (presumably for at least a short visit) and going to a range IN MD might take you out of the protection of the Federal Statute (at least in the eyes of the MD "legal" system).

" Transporting Firearms in Maryland
Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)
A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited
from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a
compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console."

I live in WV near the MD state line, visit MD as seldom as possible. Stop just before state line, unholster, unload, put pistol, mag and spare mag into key-lockable container (which is cable-locked to my seat frame), slide it under my seat. "Readily accessable?" Uh, no. Container key is on the same ring as SUV key. Stop, remove ignition key, acccess rear door, unlock case. That's what I do when I re-enter WV. PIA this time of year.

Glad I found this thread. I'm from TN and every 2 years we travel to PA and my wife has family in MD as well. So, I guess somewhere at the end of the VA line I will need to lock up my pistol until I'm in PA.and stay very clear of DC right?

Id stay clear of DC for any of a large number of reasons. Human social cesspool. Yes thats how I really feel about it. Never had any trouble just lived near it for 5 years. Pardon rant please.

Rants against Washington DC are totally acceptable, they get what they deserve.

With Md's new laws, just locking up your gun, may not be enough.

You can even get a major headache if you have a maryland carry permit and don't even have the gun on you... And yes, that happened to some guy.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back