Transport to Maine via NH

Locked_n_Loaded

•I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed (NH). How may I carry?

◦You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
◦You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
◦You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
◦Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information.

Does anyone know the regulations for transporting in Maine with a MA LTC-A?

I'm going to guess You live in MA.? You need a NON-Res. CCW permit to carry Concealed in NH. Not bad though, I think a non res.is like $20. and takes only a couple of weeks........provided You are good with the background check.
At the TOP of this forum, go to "RESOURCES" and click on the State/s that honor permits by Holders; other States; etc. Another section in the same area when you click on the State, it will give You info on how much the Permit is for that particular State and for how long it is good for; What is needed to obtain this Permit by State; SOME Handgun laws per State; etc. Lots of good info there that will give You an overall picture of what to look for. I'm sure Others will chime in..............and WELCOME to the forum.
Good luck
sambo42xa
New Hampshire

Yes just get a NH permit and you can basically do whatever you want. NH doesn't have any crazy storage or transport requirements if you have the permit. Otherwise it has to stay in a locked container in the trunk if you are transporting. If you have a permit it's legal to even leave it loaded under the seat if you want

I don't know about "basically do whatever you want"/"NH does not have crazy storage or transport requirements". You cannot transport a loaded rifle or shotgun in or on any motor vehicle; You need a permit to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle or concealed about ones person. A person may carry a handgun openly upon his/her person or unloaded and exposed or locked up in a vehicle without a license to carry.
All the above was taken from the Firearms Laws for NH (a synopsis of State Laws on Purchase, Possession and Carrying of Firearms). This was actually taken from this forum under the States Laws for NH.
I know what You meant, but SOME Others on here may not, so, You have to be careful how things are stated on here, especially saying how in NH you can basically do whatever you want. :nono:
(Why would someone want to leave a loaded weapon under their seat? / Just a question)
Yes just get a NH permit and you can basically do whatever you want. NH doesn't have any crazy storage or transport requirements if you have the permit. Otherwise it has to stay in a locked container in the trunk if you are transporting. If you have a permit it's legal to even leave it loaded under the seat if you want

18 USC 926A until you get the respective State licenses or permits. NH and ME are licensed for vehicle carry meaning you must have the respective license or permit to carry. ME has no recognition or reciprocity. ME takes exactly 60 days to issue. My non-resident NH license renewal took over four weeks.

Same thing for CT, you need a CT license to carry open or concealed there. They are running over 60 days to issue now.

(Why would someone want to leave a loaded weapon under their seat? / Just a question)

I think you might be right about the rifle/shotgun thing.

I never said leaving a loaded handgun under the seat was a good idea, but the way the laws are written it specifically doesn't say you can't. It only says it has to be locked up if you don't have a permit. If you have a permit you can store it any way you wish. If you disagree show me the RSA that says so.

I never said leaving a loaded handgun under the seat was a good idea, but the way the laws are written it specifically doesn't say you can't. It only says it has to be locked up if you don't have a permit. If you have a permit you can store it any way you wish. If you disagree show me the RSA that says so.

Not trying to come across as hostile but. Get facts before you speak about Gun laws you have no idea what you are talking about. Sambo is right about the Rifle and Shotgun "it's not may be right" It's he is. Seeing as how i know you will come back and say show me the RSA on it. Well here you go.

This is a FISH AND GAME RSA LAW..
207:7-a Disabled Persons. –
I. RSA 207:7 shall not apply to a disabled person who is suffering from paraplegia or who is suffering from the loss of, or the loss of the use of, both lower extremities and who has obtained a current license to hunt; provided, however, that such person must first obtain from the executive director a special permit entitling said person to hunt while using a motor vehicle, not to include boats with motor attached or aircraft. For purposes of this section, ""motor vehicle'' shall include off highway recreational vehicles and all terrain vehicles as defined in RSA 215-A:1, and snowmobiles as defined in RSA 215-C:1. No loaded firearm, shotgun, or rifle shall be carried or transported with a cartridge in the chamber, magazine, or clip attached to the firearm, shotgun, or rifle, while the vehicle is in motion. The executive director may issue such a permit upon application in person or upon documentary proof of such disability by a licensed hunter. Such permit shall be carried upon the person of the permittee while hunting and shall be produced for inspection upon the demand of any law enforcement officer. A $10 administrative fee shall be charged once, upon application to the executive director for such permit.
II. The permit shall be perpetual. The executive director shall retain the records for such permits for a period not less than 7 years. Loss or destruction of the permit after 7 years shall obligate the permittee to re-establish eligibility.

Source. 1957, 188:1. 1963, 81:1. 1988, 95:1, eff. June 17, 1988. 1996, 202:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1997. 2005, 210:7, eff. July 1, 2006.

"vehicle means a motor vehicle, aircraft, or powered or towed boat"

Again not trying to come across as a jerk. But do you live in NH? IDk. But when you come on a Internet forum and say you can do this and that. Someone looking for information will see that when the run a net search for NH gun laws. They may take it to heart and end up in a world of hurt. Again it would also be their fault for failing to confirm if that was true. Take it from us Native NH people you "Cant Do What Every You Want" when it comes to guns in NH. Yes even here in the So called Free state that people move to for more rights. We are still fighting the gun rights fight ( Not as bad) but we do have Anti gun "FREAKS" Who come here from NY/MA/NJ/CT and CA. Who flip out and call the cops on us NH people who carry guns. Wanting us arrested for it or any other thing they can find. Point in case here is a video of just that.

YouTube - NH: Hooksett officers defend open carrier from Massh**le

Last edited:

I never did say You said that. The question was asked, "Why would someone.....", NOT "Why would You...."....ANNNNNNDDDDDD it was just a question.:to_pick_ones_nose3:
I'm for one that does not knock anyone on this forum. Most of us on this forum are here to help each other; gain more information; suggestions; opinions, etc.. As MY sig says, "My opinions and suggestions..ONLY" If I do not know an answer I either give MY opinion or suggestion OR I simply do not reply................period! The answer I gave came right from this forum in the NH section........WHY am I even repeating myself here (sshaking my head)? If You misunderstood My intention, I was trying to explain to You that You just cannot say "you can basically do what you want in NH" because actually................you cannot! Let's not turn this now into a debate because of answering someones question. Know the LAWS as someone else already explained it on here.

I go through the same thing. I live just south of Boston and drive to down east Maine often, carrying expensive tools and cash to work on my 45 acres I recently bought there. That is a lot of why I wanted a CC to start with. With the Big Dig going on the past years I often was detoured and dumped into downtown at 3 AM (when I always start my trip) with cash on me and have to ask directions several times.

Legally, I have to lock up my pistol once I cross into NH until I get to my land in Maine. Then I can take it out and do whatever I want on my property.

a CC in Maine is easy to get. You just have to go to their .gov website and fill out the form, but they whack you for $60 a year. Too rich for my blood. They seem to only screw themselves with the high costs of permits for hunting and such there. People go elsewhere.

Hope that helps.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back