Transfer of ownership

ocergryan331

If my father owns a handgun and wants to give it to me as a gift, what do I need to do to transfer the ownership? He lives and purchased the gun in a different state than me.

It would really depend upon your state laws that govern the sale and/or trade. I know kalifornia would want a full scale transfer and a waiting period. Arizona on the other hand all you do is say thank you shake hands and take your firearm home.

transfer

Yes the firearm is registered and will be going from PA to SC. I would assume I just go to a local handgun store and pay a fee to have the register it in my name

HOLD UP - NOT CORRECT INFO ABOVE. It has to go through an FFL in the state of the recipient:

An individual who does not possess a federal firearms license may not sell a firearm to a resident of another state without first transferring the firearm to a dealer in the purchaser`s state. Firearms received by bequest or intestate succession are exempt from those sections of the law which forbid the transfer, sale, delivery or transportation of firearms into a state other than the transferor`s state of residence.

Source: Link Removed

(Also - I had to deal with something like this recently.)

1. The gun is not registered in Pennsylvania. There is no firearms registration in Pennsylvania.

2. Unless both persons were residents of the state of Arizona, it would violate Federal law to shake hands and say thank you for the gun, both the father and the son would be committing their own separate felonies if the father was a resident of PA and the son was a resident of Arizona.

3. Since the son is resident of South Carolina, and the father is a resident of Pennsylvania, Federal law (18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5)) requires that the father deliver the handgun to an FFL in South Carolina who will then transfer the handgun to the son. This has absolutely nothing to do with firearms registration as neither South Carolina, Pennsylvania, nor the Federal government registers firearms. It is 100% because the interstate transfer of firearms is regulated by the Federal government.

4. The father can hand carry the gun to a South Carolina FFL. The father can ship the gun to a South Carolina FFL via FEDEX or UPS. The father can take the handgun to a Pennsylvania FFL who can use US Postal Service to mail the handgun to a South Carolina FFL. All legal options.

5. The son fills out a form 4473 at the South Carolina FFL, gets a NICS background check done and receives the firearm. Filling out a form 4473 does NOT register the gun. Firearms registration in all but about 4 or 5 states in the US is a complete myth.

transfer

Even if it is a gift from my father? It's not a party to party sale, he is simply buying the firearm in PA and giving it to me in SC.

transfer

Sorry I didnt read the last post. I guess I was right by thinking that after my dad receives the handgun, he can travel here to SC and we go to my local FFL and do the transfer.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back