Training for Shooters with Mobility Limits

Ruger Lady

Has anyone heard of a shooting institute like Front Site and Gunsite, etc.. that have special classes for people with mobility limits? I've looked all over the internet and I've seen a lot of defensive shooting classes for people that are physically fit but none that give people with limited mobility ideas and tactics on how to survive a gun fight. I have limited mobility, and right now I'm making up my own techniques and tactics that I'm not sure are good or bad. Any Ideas would be helpful.

I would contact all of the schools, as I believe any of them would be happy to arrange a program that would work for you.

Please keep us informed of your results.

I have seen people with mobility limits several times attending Front Sight courses. They seemed to have a great experience and the staff took the time to adapt the techniques to their situation. I'm sure the other firearms schools would do the same. Give some of them a call or shoot 'em an email.

Thanks for the info. I guess the thing I was worried about was being charged extra simply because of my disability and the extra time they would have to spend with me then with the other students in the class.

Well, Ruger Lady, whatever you decide to go with, let us know how it ends up going and what all the course entails. Good luck!

Has anyone heard of a shooting institute like Front Site and Gunsite, etc.. that have special classes for people with mobility limits? I've looked all over the internet and I've seen a lot of defensive shooting classes for people that are physically fit but none that give people with limited mobility ideas and tactics on how to survive a gun fight. I have limited mobility, and right now I'm making up my own techniques and tactics that I'm not sure are good or bad. Any Ideas would be helpful.

Ruger Lady,

My wife and I took the 4-day defensive handgun course at Front Sight last April. Both of us are in our latter 50's and I am confronted with disabilites, both walking and in my right arm. There was no pressure on us. We were told when we felt we needed to take a break and just watch for awhile that it was fine with them. It was 4 LONG days and we wore out before a lot of the younger people. I saw a few people wearing leg braces and using canes besides myself, but I didn't see any wheelchairs. It was excellant training.

Good luck in your search.

One armed with no legs (Use prostetic legs for transfer) can't walk or stand. Use electric chair for mobility.

I attended 4 day class at Front Sight, I was concerned too when I called thet said they would take my abilities w disabilities and make me better. Huge under statement. I am no novice shooter but I learned so much. They took my tecneques with theirs and mine greatly improved. The staff were absoultly great and professional,
no pressure and Safety first. Lectures were great also.

HIGHLY RECOMENDED

Eddie
Front Sight First Family Member

One armed with no legs (Use prostetic legs for transfer) can't walk or stand. Use electric chair for mobility.

I attended 4 day class at Front Sight, I was concerned too when I called thet said they would take my abilities w disabilities and make me better. Huge under statement. I am no novice shooter but I learned so much. They took my tecneques with theirs and mine greatly improved. The staff were absoultly great and professional,
no pressure and Safety first. Lectures were great also.

HIGHLY RECOMENDED

Eddie
Front Sight First Family Member

Good for you! I get about halfway upset when people let physical challenges get in the way of something they really want to do. Did you train with an auto or a revolver? My wife trained with a G26. I was afraid that she wouldn't have the strengh to do the malfunction drills, but they helped her develop the knack. They are absolutely great down there.

Wow this is a good thread. I too have walking/mobility issues. I've taken tactical courses, which usually requires me working 10 times harder to keep up with the mini boot camp atmosphere. Many times I am also forced to make up on the fly my own methods to subsitute for methods that aint workin. Front Sight sounds like a winner, I need to use my cert sometime and get over there. Nice thread!!!!

I will allow anyone in class. I had a gentleman in a class, a dynamic force on force class no less, that lives in a motorized wheelchair. Only one hand works. We worked with him personally a bit and developed a solid system that he could use (all it took was seeing what he could actually do as opposed to waht he could not do).

This was a force on force class so I grabbed up a big corn-fed state trooper, gave him a big rubber knife and told him to run the wheelchair guy down and stab him. Well, not only did the wheelchair guy move his chair off the line of attack quickly (so quickly that the trooper face planted in an attempt to reach him), but he drew his Airsoft XD and shot him to the ground as the class cheered.

Another time, I had a gent come to class with only one finger on each hand and (I found out later) a plastic leg. This was a Kalashnikov Rifle class and he kept up even though the pace was a fast and hard one. Funny thing, after seeing him work his reloads, nobody complained about the heat, or the sharp edges on their AKs.

If you guys out there with a physical hardship want to come and learn how to fight....really fight instead of stand on a "tactical" range and target shoot from some shooting stance, give me a call. You'll be surprised what I can teach you to do.

Gabe Suarez
Suarez International

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back