To chamber or not on M&P without safety

gestu1

Have an M&P 45 without a thumb saftey. Not sure if I should chamber a round when I carry it.
I carry it in a Blackhawk retention holster. Am I being over cautious by not chambering?

Many modern guns have no mechanical safety. Among some of the most popular, Glocks, XD's, and Sigs.

While it's good be cautious, I'm a big fan/supporter of training. Train so you can quickly, smoothly, effeciently and safely draw and present your gun without getting on your trigger too soon... like in and out of your holster for instance.

Also, consider the speed and level of violence involved with many up close and personal confrontations that justify the use of deadly force to protect yourself. It's likely going to happen very, very quickly. While you can develop speed and proficiency in sling-shot'ing that first round into the chamber, it takes time no matter how good you get at it.

God help you if you carry WITHOUT one chambered, and when the fan begins to get covered with fecal matter, you find yourself with only one hand to draw and present. Chambering is tough (but not impossible) with only one hand. At the Intermediate or Tactical level, I train shooters from the ground or kneeling position to use the "heel of their boot" to activate their slide with one hand, while fighting defensively with the other. This generally includes muzzle contact shooting as well. (Up close and personal, and with a level of violence that's tough to train for.) If you're not close to the heel of your boot, you're probably going to find yourself in an "awww $#!&!" situation quickly.

I'm in the camp where CC guns are loaded, including "one in the pipe." Home defense guns, that's different usually. IMHO.

Have an M&P 45 without a thumb saftey. Not sure if I should chamber a round when I carry it.
I carry it in a Blackhawk retention holster. Am I being over cautious by not chambering?

I had the same question when I started to carry and someone gave me this advice, try carrying with it not loaded and chambered (dry fire mode) and at the end of the day pull the trigger if you get the click then you didn't shoot your foot or someone by mistake. I done it that way for two weeks and had no miss fire and now I carry a round in the chamber ready to fire with my M&P 45 .I use a crossbreed super tuck holster.:pleasantry:

If you don't feel safe with a round in the chamber, get a gun that you can carry ready to use. A gun with no round in the chamber is little better than a gun in your car trunk.

If you feel unsafe carrying a chambered pistol without a thumb safety, you should buy one that has a thumb safety. The odds are that if you ever have to use your pistol, it will be in a defensive situation in which the bad guy already has the jump on you. You'll start the battle behind the power curve. You might not have time to draw your weapon, let alone chamber a round.

You can be totally safe without a thumb safety. Get some training and practice. Always holster your pistol slowly. Noone ever won a gun fight with a "speed reholster".

Did you read the instruction manual that came with the gun? :biggrin:

gf

When using a Blackhawik Serpa holster with ANY firearm, it's good practice to train to use your middle finger rather than your trigger finger to disengage the retention mechinism. There have been cases where long time and highly trained firearms users have had a ND due to the finger's natural tendency to wrap around the grip, causing the finger to hit the trigger, and finally resulting in a ND.

Know your equipment and train properly.

gf

It doesnt have a thumb safety for a reason; you wont have time to disengage the safety if a real threat were to come about. Like AZSATT said, they are designed for the distinct purpose of self-defense in high stress situations. There are other safety features built in to lessen the chance of you becoming the next Plaxico Burress. One in the chamber, always!

I have carried my Glock for almost 10 years now and i have always carried with a full mag and one in the chamber and have never had a problem. But i would like to stress that i strongly be leave that anyone who carries a weapon has a duty to him and the people around him to be trained in the use of that weapon and to continue to train to keep your skills up to par.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back