tips on form and posture

aacx22

Tested Selected Initiated
Hi guys.

My brother and I have been periodically talking to my sister for a few months and taken her shooting a few times. She has enjoyed shooting .22s but does not like shooting 9mm because she says it hurts her shoulder. Can you please direct me to a good resource for tips on form and posture?

The one she had a problem with is a Sig P220. Next time we go out, I'm going to see how she does with a .38 revolver.

Hi guys.

My brother and I have been periodically talking to my sister for a few months and taken her shooting a few times. She has enjoyed shooting .22s but does not like shooting 9mm because she says it hurts her shoulder. Can you please direct me to a good resource for tips on form and posture?
A good book for teaching the basic of pistol shooting is "The NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting." This book is used in the NRA courses "Basic Pistol" and "First Steps Pistol." It teaches the fundamentals of stance, position, grip, sight alignment/picture, hold control, recoil management, etc. Well worth $11 for a newbie.
Link Removed

The Sig 220 is a full size 45ACP not a 9mm. If that's actually what she's shooting that could be part of the problem. Can you describe how she holds the pistol, if so it'll be easier to try and analyze her problem

The Sig 220 is a full size 45ACP not a 9mm. If that's actually what she's shooting that could be part of the problem. Can you describe how she holds the pistol, if so it'll be easier to try and analyze her problem

Then I remembered the model wrong. I know it's a 9mm, full sized, Sig. Sorry for my error. I'm going out with her again and am going to try to watch her more carefully. My impression is that my .38 with a 2" barrel has less kick than my SR9C with a 3" barrel. I'm planning to let her shoot this and also to rent a .38 with a 4" barrel. Thank you for your reply and I'll reply again with more info.

A good book for teaching the basic of pistol shooting is "The NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting." This book is used in the NRA courses "Basic Pistol" and "First Steps Pistol." It teaches the fundamentals of stance, position, grip, sight alignment/picture, hold control, recoil management, etc. Well worth $11 for a newbie.
Link Removed

Thank you for the tip. I'm going to get two, because I am sure that there's plenty of good stuff for me in there also.

Okay polymer framed 9mm Sig. That shouldn't be an issue. I don't recommend having her shoot a short barreled .38 she's not going to like the recoil. I recommend having her take a good solid stance with a 2 handed grip arms fully extended, leaning slightly forward such as the first described in this article. Best Common Handgun Shooting Stance
To be honest I've never heard of anyone complaining of shoulder pain from shooting a handgun. She may have a prior injury that she may not even be aware of. have her extend her arm straight up abover here head and then have her rotate it forward in a circle and then backward in a circle. to see if there is any pain.

I know this girl. (We've been FB friends for awhile) She's one that I have respect for when working with women. Shes has some good videos that may help.

Grip can be everything. Make sure it fits her hand well otherwise she's going to struggle trying to compensate. Ladies often have smaller palms (not finger length) and it is difficult to get something that fits a man's hand well to fit theirs. Stance for beginners is important and it is important to know that a woman's center of gravity is different than a man's. Most women do not have the highly developed trapezius muscles that men enjoy, the body position has to do the work. It really doesn't matter if it is a modified weaver or isosceles triangle, we use our bellybutton an a pivot point as we lean forward and the tush stabilizes in the back. Many ladies are afraid to stick the tush out a little because there often is someone making rude remarks. This position will feel really awkward at first. I usually start adjusting stance with a dummy gun and applying a "recoil" to the muzzle to show how the stance can be modified to best accommodate them. After standing the way they THINK their stance should be and after adjusting, most understand what is needed to work for them. Doing this before they start shooting any caliber, especially larger calibers, they have an idea what a recoil will feel like.

Our shooting got cancelled this weekend, but hopefully we'll go this coming weekend. Appreciate all the comments and I'm going to send her these tips, and we'll see how she does with my .22 to start, then a rented 4" .38, and my SR9C.

Gee wiz Mr! Thanks for straightening that out for me!
You are a special kind of guy grizzer and I love you for it bro!
Y'all be good now, ya hear?!

My wife had her first range experience a couple of weeks ago. (More to come, but she had a sudden illness). Started her with a .22. Then she tried a 3" 357 magnum loaded with 38 special loads. It fit her hand fine with the grips I have on it. That gave her a fairly heavy gun and fairly mild recoil. Worked well for us. Then she moved to a 38 with a 2" barrel. The recoil, per my wife, was greater. But by ramping up she handled it well.

Would not touch my 9mm concealed carry gun. Maybe next time.

My wife had her first range experience a couple of weeks ago. (More to come, but she had a sudden illness). Started her with a .22. Then she tried a 3" 357 magnum loaded with 38 special loads. It fit her hand fine with the grips I have on it. That gave her a fairly heavy gun and fairly mild recoil. Worked well for us. Then she moved to a 38 with a 2" barrel. The recoil, per my wife, was greater. But by ramping up she handled it well.

Would not touch my 9mm concealed carry gun. Maybe next time.

Things really got pushed back when my sister and i each ended up moving. Truly appreciate the tips though especially now that my wife has also shown some interest.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back