Tip for Successful IWB - Lose weight!

kwc

I just wanted to share my brief journey with successfully concealing a subcompact handgun inside the waistband (IWB).

At 5' 8" with a 38" waist, I found that even a Ruger LCP didn't hide well because the excess "energy storage" around my middle was pushing outward on the grip and printing through my T-shirt. Wearing a larger pants size didn't help, because the handgun would still ride with the grip angled away from the body. A looser shirt helped some but just didn't look right. A tight, stiff belt helped keep the handgun more vertical but pressed hard against my energy reserves; that was uncomfortable and unsightly!

I decided to push hard to lose some weight, partly to achieve a better score on my military PT test, partly for my health, and partly to improve handgun concealability.

The result? At 36.5" now, the Ruger hides much better appendix IWB than before! Another inch or two will be perfect for a larger firearm like the Walther PPS (I know, still a small handgun by many standards). It is amazing how much a flatter belly will contribute toward one's ability to conceal.

If you suffer from the "dunlap" syndrome and have trouble concealing comfortably, give this a try--you might be pleased with the result.

Kwc

I have the exact OPPOSITE problem! I'm 6ft 2 and 145lbs. So I have to choose my EDC accordingly......... I prefer my full-sized Sig, but it's not very concealable on my small frame. I have a couple of sub-compacts that I like, but nothing seems to fit "just right"...... I'm still looking for that perfect fit for my size. Suggestions?

I disagree with you both. I'm 5'8 and wear a 38 pants too. I also have a larger midsection than I want as well. I carry Iwb all the time. If you have the right holster you can wear anything. I carry a sub compact some days a regular compact someday and even a full size. I use an N82 tactical holster. They make them to fit all size pistols and they all feel comfortable and hide well with an over the pants shirt. Check them out.

I just wanted to share my brief journey with successfully concealing a subcompact handgun inside the waistband (IWB).

At 5' 8" with a 38" waist, I found that even a Ruger LCP didn't hide well because the excess "energy storage" around my middle was pushing outward on the grip and printing through my T-shirt. Wearing a larger pants size didn't help, because the handgun would still ride with the grip angled away from the body. A looser shirt helped some but just didn't look right. A tight, stiff belt helped keep the handgun more vertical but pressed hard against my energy reserves; that was uncomfortable and unsightly!

I decided to push hard to lose some weight, partly to achieve a better score on my military PT test, partly for my health, and partly to improve handgun concealability.

The result? At 36.5" now, the Ruger hides much better appendix IWB than before! Another inch or two will be perfect for a larger firearm like the Walther PPS (I know, still a small handgun by many standards). It is amazing how much a flatter belly will contribute toward one's ability to conceal.

If you suffer from the "dunlap" syndrome and have trouble concealing comfortably, give this a try--you might be pleased with the result.

Kwc

Another added benefit is you will be healthier and have more energy. :) Good for you.

Kwc

I'm small, 5'2" and my weight can vary from 5 to 10 pounds in either direction. I've found it's a whole lot easier to conceal when I'm lighter. And it doesn't much matter where I'm carrying, pocket, IWB, or belly band.

I'll throw my two cents in, I'm 5' 6" 260 lbs, I can conceal a full size Glock 31 with my shirt tucked in or out. I walked around the office one day with my Glock concealed under my tucked in shirt, no one noticed. Just like Roberthenn1 said. Having said that, I am losing weight because I want to lose it.

I'm also a heavier fella at 5'5 and about 190lbs, 36" waist but wear 38" pants. I carry a compact 1911 in either an iwb crossbreed type holster or an owb fobus paddle holster and have no problem concealing it under an untucked t shirt at around 3-4 o'clock.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using USA Carry mobile app

I didn't quite expect this wide range of responses. I guess it all goes to show that "your mileage may vary," or more apropos, "one size doesn't fit all." <g>

Everyone has a different body type and I'm convinced having a bulge in my middle, at least, limits my options. I'm sure there are holsters out there that would work well with a larger me, but the several I've tried so far did not and they all conceal better now. If you can benefit from my experience, give it a try. I have a bit more weight to lose (BMI is still above 25) and believe ability to conceal can only improve from here.

Carrying less mass will also give me an edge outrunning an attacker, a preferred course of action when viable. I would suggest that every one of us with extra girth could benefit in this area, too, but there is probably someone out there who weighs 500 pounds and can run a 6-minute mile. :)

...there is probably someone out there who weighs 500 pounds and can run a 6-minute mile. :)

Unless that person is 500lbs of roided out leg muscle, or Flash's obese twin, I highly doubt that. I'm 5'6" 165lbs and I could barely run an 18 minute 3-mile in my prime. Closer to a 21 minute now. Then again, my old Platoon Sgt. could run a 17:30 3-mile in boots, flak and Kevlar.

I'm small, 5'2" and my weight can vary from 5 to 10 pounds in either direction. I've found it's a whole lot easier to conceal when I'm lighter. And it doesn't much t matter where I'm carrying, pocket, IWB, or belly band.
Could that be because your clothes fit looser when you're lighter? I'm down 2+ inches in my waist! but I haven't bought new clothes yet because I'm not finished yet. :) I've got lots of room for isw. It'll still be awhile yet before I'm ready for appendix carry, though... :)

Could that be because your clothes fit looser when you're lighter? I'm down 2+ inches in my waist! but I haven't bought new clothes yet because I'm not finished yet. :) I've got lots of room for isw. It'll still be awhile yet before I'm ready for appendix carry, though... :)

Of course it is. Once the clothes start getting tighter, the gun starts poking out or poking me in the stomach. Then I know it's time to step back from the table. :laugh:

At 5'9" and 135#, my P229 in a Blackhawk paddle conceals just fine for me in a t-shirt. Even though it may print badly, if the hoplophopes can't see it, then it can't see them.....:)

Seems like a lot of us have "too short for our weight" issues. At 5' 7, and 200 lbs, I don't carry iwb much,I like my jeans too tight, but when I do I've found that my Kahr cw9 will ride very comfortably just tucked in my jeans
in a cross draw position, without a holster. Tried to use holsters, I have several, none works. In the winter months, I just use owb holsters, and winter clothes keep it concealed.

I'm small, 5'2" and my weight can vary from 5 to 10 pounds in either direction. I've found it's a whole lot easier to conceal when I'm lighter. And it doesn't much matter where I'm carrying, pocket, IWB, or belly band.

You left one out. How about a FLASH BANG?:pleasantry: I just couldn't help myself!
Link Removed No offense meant at all!

The interaction between body shape and carry position plays a big role too. I have tried carrying strong side 4 o'clock IWB with a variety of kydex and hybrid holsters and have yet to find anything that conceals well enough - they all look like a tumor given how I'm shaped. LOL I am now investigating leather holsters...

Appendix position is working for me in the meantime, even though I do have a belly. Of course, I am free to wear untucked button-up shirts over t-shirts so that also helps :)

You left one out. How about a FLASH BANG?:pleasantry: I just couldn't help myself! No offense meant at all!

No offense taken. I didn't leave it out, I just don't have it. Actually the Betty IWB holster I have is either very close or exactly like the Flashbang with the only difference being a strap versus a metal clip. Both made by the same company. So...I tried it with my Betty. As far as being comfortable and concealing well, it's pretty good. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it actually goes inside one of the bra cups and does slightly change your bustline. Think: One larger than the other one. OK, that's your lesson in female anatomy for today. Lots of women like this holster and write rave reviews for it. Seems like the ones with bigger busts like it the best.

No offense taken. I didn't leave it out, I just don't have it. Actually the Betty IWB holster I have is either very close or exactly like the Flashbang with the only difference being a strap versus a metal clip. Both made by the same company. So...I tried it with my Betty. As far as being comfortable and concealing well, it's pretty good. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it actually goes inside one of the bra cups and does slightly change your bustline. Think: One larger than the other one. OK, that's your lesson in female anatomy for today. Lots of women like this holster and write rave reviews for it. Seems like the ones with bigger busts like it the best.

Yeah, I can't do it either. Did hear a fun story about the one of the first times it was used when she had just began making them...

A lady carrying a gun in a flashbang was attacked by a rapist. As he was coming towards her, she went for her gun. Of course, this necessitated yanking her shirt up and out of the way! He stopped in his tracks, very surprised, giving her PLENTY of time to get on target!

Peggy R, Thanks for the great review. Something I can pass on to others from a real world experience. I have looked at it wondering if it could be rigged for a small of back holster. It would have the grip of the gun pointing down instead of up.
Your anatomy lesson comment caused me to smile and remember a very, very sweet girl that gave me that very lesson back in HS! Can't go into details because that would be telling:man_in_love::nono: but thanks for the reminder.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back