Tight Ammo Supply

thought this was about tight ammo supply ?

Yeah, it is. Got any ammo? You can pay twice the price at Cabellas or camp out at WM waiting for the next shipment. I got lucky at Big 5 and Sports Authority couple times but I'm choking on the price. Also Sportsman's Warehouse.

380 scarce....why?

I used to think 380 was scarce because it was just being bought up like other calibers. But an editorial I read recently from an issue of Shot Gun News suggested that 380 production was being curtailed in favor of the other bigger sellers like 9mm, 45 ACP, 38spl, etc. That's because it's all made on the same production lines and the manufacturers want the biggest bang from their production runs (pun intended). So that supposedly leaves us guys with 9mm Kurtz scrounging around worse than others for their ammo. I did find, quite to my surprise, some Hornady Critical Defense cartridges about a month ago in south central VA. I was wanting some of that anyway and was surprised the store had it. Turns out that's ALL they had- something like a dozen or less boxes. I bought 2 @ $25/25 rounds. I fired off one magazine worth (7 rounds) from my Sig P232 to make sure all was well. No problems. But I have had to stop all practicing due to NO range ammo.

Found both 9mm and .40 range ammo at my favorite local gun shop yesterday. It made me so happy, I bought a new gun.:biggrin:

Looks like I hit the jackpot. I ordered 8 boxes (400rnds) of Remington .45 from Bass Pro Shop (BPS) about 3 weeks ago. I had a coupon for 20$ off. Of course it was back-ordered so I waited.

I happened to be in the BPS in Myrtle Beach SC this week and picked up a 250 rnds of UMC they had in stock! Then I stopped by a local Walmart in Charleston and they had 3 boxes (150rnds) of Blazer Brass and I couldn't pass them up. But before I could cancel my back-ordered Rem from BPS they came in! So I am sitting on 800rnds of .45! Not to mention my self defense loads. If somethings happens the media will report I had an arsenal!

Now I need to find some 9mm.

Can't wait to get to the range. Call me a hoarder if you want.

I don't remember exactly the prices but the BPS UMC were 20$ a box. The Remington's were something like 21.45 from BPS and the Blazers from Wally was 16.99.

Found 9mm and .45 ACP in both range and self defense loads at my local Bass Pro the other day.

They were getting a new shipment the next day. The sales dude said the truck arrives at 9 a.m. and most of the ammo is gone by 10.

A little bit of stuff is starting to trickle in. I saw Speer Gold Dot 45 in 3 places today. 40 fmj is showing up pretty regularly. Now I just wish Velocitor 22 would come back around. LOL.
I got my Utah Concealed Carrt today after 108 days of waiting.

Bought 380 Thursday

I got a heads up from my local gunshop that they were expecting some 380 Blazer range ammo. So, I went to the shop just before opening time and just "hung out". Turns out they hadn't received it yet. But after firing 50 rounds of another batch of target ammo they also had, the truck with the Blazer ammo rolled up. Bought me several boxes. This was my first full practice shooting since April due to the ammo supply problem.

I've stopped buying 9mm for now, and .40 I buy only to replace what I use. I have a couple hundred rounds of .380 now but it will last a while because the wife took that gun and she doesn't like to practice with it often.

My brother actually found Winchester White Box 100 round packs in .40, 9mm and .45acp at a Wal-mart in Reno, NV and another one in Fallon, NV. This was yesterday. There was a 2 boxes per customer limit. He and his wife picked up some for them in Reno and some for me in Fallon. This is the 1st time we've run into 100 round packs at a Wal-Mart in 4 months. Maybe things are looking up.

My brother actually found Winchester White Box 100 round packs in .40, 9mm and .45acp at a Wal-mart in Reno, NV and another one in Fallon, NV. This was yesterday. There was a 2 boxes per customer limit. He and his wife picked up some for them in Reno and some for me in Fallon. This is the 1st time we've run into 100 round packs at a Wal-Mart in 4 months. Maybe things are looking up.

It could be easing up, but it could also be due to Wal-Mart's rationing poilicy tool The Gilroy, CA Supercenter has a 6 box limit.

The good thing is Wal-Mart is not price gouging like some stores.

A lesson in supply and demand... again.

It could be easing up, but it could also be due to Wal-Mart's rationing poilicy tool The Gilroy, CA Supercenter has a 6 box limit.

The good thing is Wal-Mart is not price gouging like some stores.
I've said before (post#146 to be exact) and apparently I must say again, box limits are useless. Did you notice a greater availability the same day, week, or month that the box limit was imposed? I highly doubt it. Do you honestly think that someone who really wants 10 boxes isn't going to find a way to get his 10 boxes? Take the wife with, have someone else buy it, or at the very least, go in after the shift change. If it is all sold out before the shift change, then the end result is that the shelves are still empty. At best, a 6 box limit spreads a case between 4 guys instead of one. But it doesn't keep ammo on the shelves. As well, there are still Walmarts (3 in my area) that have no handgun ammo, even though the 6 box limit has been in effect for a couple months now.

However, what does keep ammo on the shelves is that evil GOUGING that so many have come to detest. Folks, when demand goes up, so does the price. That is basic economics. And it is a GOOD thing when it does. This helps deter (another evil concept) hoarding. If I already have 500 rounds, I'm not going to buy up the entire case of ammo that just came in if the price is 50% higher than normal. That leaves it on the shelf for the guy who is down to his last mag full. It may cost more, but at least it's available. I know no one wants to pay so much for it, and neither do I. But if all of Walmarts ammo was marked up 50%, I'd be willing to bet their shelves would be FULL.

Until people stop buying whatever they see, like me, nothing is going to change wal marts shelves. A 50% increase in price at wal mart won't change a thing because people are paying twice as much and shipping at Cabelas on line and Cabelas is just as bad off as wal-mart.
I bought whatever I saw. Now I have all I need so I don't buy any. If everybody does that then sooner or later we are all going to have as much as we want or need. Just be as persistant in your search like I was. There is no such thing as hoarding when a person doesn't feel like they've got comfortable back-up and you never heard anybody using the would hoarding until the guy using the word ran out of ammo himself.

P.S.
The hunt was actually fun. I topped all these off in the worst of it and you can too if you just stick to it.

Link Removed

BTW, Cabelas has all calibers of both CorBon grey box and DXP in stock right now. Best it's been in awhile.
Just 7 minutes earlier you stated that Cabelas is just as bad off as Walmart.

True there will still be some people willing to pay the jacked up prices. Those peoples' stockpiles are below what they are comfortable with. Even you just said that you are now comfortable with the amount that you have. So now you aren't going to go buy any more until either one of two things happens: the prices drop or you go below the amount of stock that you are comfortable with.

My overall point is that if you (anyone) is noticing the shelves filling up again, it's not because of some per-customer limit. It's because, as you noted, people are getting to their comfort level and aren't buying as much. In that particular area, the demand is easing up.

Still no love in south central Idaho.

I haven't been to the range in quite some time, and I am about ready to give up a couple hundred rounds of .45 acp of my 2k round stash just to get some range time in. I hope that things get better soon.

Just 7 minutes earlier you stated that Cabelas is just as bad off as Walmart.

True there will still be some people willing to pay the jacked up prices. Those peoples' stockpiles are below what they are comfortable with. Even you just said that you are now comfortable with the amount that you have. So now you aren't going to go buy any more until either one of two things happens: the prices drop or you go below the amount of stock that you are comfortable with.

My overall point is that if you (anyone) is noticing the shelves filling up again, it's not because of some per-customer limit. It's because, as you noted, people are getting to their comfort level and aren't buying as much. In that particular area, the demand is easing up.

Demand is easing because of price and the fact new gun legislation hasn't been in the news recently. Prices are not coming down. What did we accomplish besides making Bamo the gun salesman of the century? In a previous post someone was talking about WM and a 6 box limit. The WMs near me are a 2 box limit and the shelves are always empty. I have to go elsewhere and pay prices that are almost twice what they were a year ago. Thanks for all the hoarding people. I'm sure the gun shops aren't complaining.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back