threshold requirements for NY state permit

Paul Brennan

Ok..Im a newbie here and not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this question, so please bear with me. I went to hand in my application on friday at the pistol permit dept, here in buffalo, ny. before the process was complete, i was handed a packet to review and sign about the following:
have you ever had a mental evaluation? have you ever been treated for any mental illness? Have you ever been seen by a psychiatrist or psychologist? I answered no to all questions, signed and handed it in to complete my application process. After I got home..I got thinking about the questions that were asked. Back in 2003 I admitted myself to ecmc after a very bad break-up. Im not sure if i was evaluated...and was released 2 days later...being told that I did not need to be there. I also have been on anti-depressants since 2002 and was not aware that depression was a mental illness. My question here is....should I go back down to the pistol permit department and inform them that I had forgotten to list that incident? is it too late to do so? will that be held against me? Is that grounds enough to denied my application? I have been very careful filling out my application as far as disclosing any past criminal history, and to make sure my references have had no arrest history. I do not want them to think I am hiding anything..and am not %100 sure that this information will even come up. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated,

I'm also an Erie County resident, if you have been on anti deprssion meds it will EFFECT outcome of issuing a permit all those records will show up. Your stay at ECMC also will EFFECT it. Thats why they send your application to

New York States Dept of mental health and hygene. And because you said no on the paperwork thats actually perjury and thats grounds for denial. I dont have an answer for you.

Your best bet is HONESTY New York has some of the strictest requirements for issuing pistol permits.. Good Luck to you

Well, if that is the case, then you might as well kiss your permit goodbye. So sad. I feel for you -- you need to learn another way to protect yourself then.

Once he signed the paperwork, and said no he committed perjury I don't what would happen it he went down and retracted his statement.

Are you guys saying that the stay in ECMC was the reason for the purgery, or the meds for depression...If he was seen by a primary physician for depression, but not admitted to hospital or seen by a psychiatrist.. would that count as mental illness...

The purgery was not done intentionally, not that it matters now. I was just unsure. I should of asked the clerk before I signed. I am well aware how the application process works in NY. I did not know that depression was a mental illness..therefore I thought the question did not pertain to me. The ecmc thing was..well it is what it is..I was there and then released. I will be calling the pistol permit department in the morning, and explain the situation. Im sure I'll have to go through the whole process again..if I even bother at this point. Was denied 9 years ago. DAMN!

Somehow I think if you were turned down 9 years ago. It was for an unmentioned reason. To continue to obscure the truth is not your best course, and could lead to an investigation.

My ex had a sever addiction to drugs and alcohol - so sever that I ended up with sole custody of our 4 children, ages 1 to 8 at the time. She had DWI's and multiple involuntary commitments, and an arrest (but not conviction) for attempting to obtain narcotics by a forged prescription.

About 10 years after she cleaned up she got a pistol permit in Erie County after disclosing all of that history.

Not disclosing is the problem. At best, it looks like you are trying to hide the information, at worst it looks like you may be senile and don't remember significant events in your life. Either way you aren't getting a permit.

Those are the same requirements to even PURCHASE a firearm isn't it? I was prescribed xanax for 6 months and never told anyone and got mine, however checking into the hospital might have been the killer for you. I hope you post the results when you get them, I'm super curious now

I'm also an Erie County resident, if you have been on anti deprssion meds it will EFFECT outcome of issuing a permit all those records will show up. Your stay at ECMC also will EFFECT it. Thats why they send your application to

New York States Dept of mental health and hygene. And because you said no on the paperwork thats actually perjury and thats grounds for denial. I dont have an answer for you.

Your best bet is HONESTY New York has some of the strictest requirements for issuing pistol permits.. Good Luck to you
You really need to stop scaring people about NY. This is also completely incorrect.

Ok..Im a newbie here and not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this question, so please bear with me. I went to hand in my application on friday at the pistol permit dept, here in buffalo, ny. before the process was complete, i was handed a packet to review and sign about the following:
have you ever had a mental evaluation? have you ever been treated for any mental illness? Have you ever been seen by a psychiatrist or psychologist? I answered no to all questions, signed and handed it in to complete my application process. After I got home..I got thinking about the questions that were asked. Back in 2003 I admitted myself to ecmc after a very bad break-up. Im not sure if i was evaluated...and was released 2 days later...being told that I did not need to be there. I also have been on anti-depressants since 2002 and was not aware that depression was a mental illness. My question here is....should I go back down to the pistol permit department and inform them that I had forgotten to list that incident? is it too late to do so? will that be held against me? Is that grounds enough to denied my application? I have been very careful filling out my application as far as disclosing any past criminal history, and to make sure my references have had no arrest history. I do not want them to think I am hiding anything..and am not %100 sure that this information will even come up. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated,
I won't advise you what to say or not say regarding the application. But ECMC records are protected from the government under HIPAA privacy rules unless the psychiatric admission was based on a court order or you were arrested on a 941 (mental health) charge. ECMC did not report you to big brother and the state dept. of mental health is not maintaining records of this incident.

As Nogods advised, honesty works best. Having a bout of depression or taking antidepressents is not grounds for denial in itself. A very large percentage of the population has some sort of psychological health issue or takes an antidepressent.

BC1,

I'm not trying to scare anyone. But not disclosing information well lead to denial of your pistol permit. It seems lately Erie County had really cracked down on persons applying for pistol permits.

And Paul I hope I'm wrong and this won't effect your permit maybe I should of worded my statement better. You should of dis closed all that information. I apolojize if I said the wrong things. Let us know what happens

Thanks for the input

thanks for all of your input guys..although I could of done without the crass comment about being senile from nogod. Thanks nogod, you just put a bad taste in my mouth about using this web-sight. :mad:

Oh...and I did speak to a friend of a friend that works in the pistol permit department..she told me that it would be looked upon as a honest mistake. I am going back downtown tomorrow to disclose any and all information i am aware of regarding the mental health issue. She said I can simply add information and its no big deal..the bottom line being that I am taking steps to correct my application before its sent out for the background checks. Also a voluntary admittance to a hospital is very much different than a in-voluntary admittance. Thank you BC1 for your input i appreciate it..you made me feel a little better. We'll see what happens....

I don't know about states back East, but around here, you have to be adjudicated as mentally defective. In other words, institutionalized against your will by a judge. Being depressed, taking meds, and even checking yourself into a facility are not grounds for denial. All these actions show you are capable of understanding and treating your mental health issues.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back