Thoughts on a "Bug-Out" Carbine

Only one gun? Hi-Point 9mm carbine, same ammo as my pistols. But, I will take my Hi-Point, AK-47, .22, 12 ga 870, and Mosin Nagant.

I get the remy .308, 9mm pistol; Son AR15, 9mm; Wife Remy 12 gauge, 9mm pistol. Yes, two different cals on the rifles. One is not made up close work, but I can reach out and touch somebody. The three of us can make a heck of a racket!

All of our weapons are common calibers. I won't bug out with just a rifle. If it was me by myself, I would be really hard pressed to choose between the .308 and the AR. Both have distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Kel-Tec Sub 2000 available in .40S&W and 9mm. Models that take Glock and other pistol magazines so I can use the same magazine and ammo in both. Folds in half and weighs 4#. Ammo is light, inexpensive and readily available. Sixteen inch barrel and that is the length when folded. They claim it is good to 150 yards but I have seen pistols get steady hits at 100 yards.

Kel-Tec Sub 2000 available in .40S&W and 9mm. Models that take Glock and other pistol magazines so I can use the same magazine and ammo in both. Folds in half and weighs 4#. Ammo is light, inexpensive and readily available. Sixteen inch barrel and that is the length when folded. They claim it is good to 150 yards but I have seen pistols get steady hits at 100 yards.

I can do 150 yards easy with my sub2k. I watched a youtube video where a guy was hitting targets @200 yards with a Glock 23. Don't know how much energy the bullet would have left at that range but he was putting them on target.

I can do 150 yards easy with my sub2k. I watched a youtube video where a guy was hitting targets @200 yards with a Glock 23. Don't know how much energy the bullet would have left at that range but he was putting them on target.

Well, the Speer 115 gr. GDHP in 9mm leaves the barrel at 1200 fps with 341 ft.lbs of energy. At 200 yards that's 847 fps and 185 ftlbs. of energy.

That's lethal against soft tissue, the .40 would fair even better.

21dr7lj.jpg

Only one gun? Hi-Point 9mm carbine, same ammo as my pistols. But, I will take my Hi-Point, AK-47, .22, 12 ga 870, and Mosin Nagant.

I love my T53(M44) Mosin!!!! It goes bang everytime, in any weather! It being a carbine is a blessing for lugging around and 7.62x54R will punch through anything a civilian would run into. I've tested FMJ penetration against 3/8in steel... no prob.

I love my T53(M44) Mosin!!!! It goes bang everytime, in any weather! It being a carbine is a blessing for lugging around and 7.62x54R will punch through anything a civilian would run into. I've tested FMJ penetration against 3/8in steel... no prob.

I like those M44's too.

for me, I'm going with a Hi-Point carbine in .40 S&W to match my G27. Only 1 caliber of ammo to worry about. it may not have the range of an AR, but really, how much long range shooting does one expect to do.

Along the same vein I was going to get the hipoint 45 carbine but they are back ordered, so I got a great deal on a used .40 cal with both the pistol AND carbine. The pistol fits nicely in my Tactical vest as a back up to the carbine. Not only are they the same caliber, they have interchangeable magazines. A little custom work and they are both shooting great. Anyhow, kudos on the realizing that the caliber commonality is a big plus.

While the Pistol caliber carbines having been making their way back into the market in the last few years. They were not as popular back 20 years ago. In my collection I have the Colt 1911 to go along with my Marlin Camp 45. Both take the same magazine as well and the Marlin has an old redfield scope zeroed out to 75 yards. I also love my S&W 586 to go with Marlin 1894c scoped out to 100yards. In the case of emergency each one will do what I am looking for knowing the limitations and both very capable of taking down deer and smaller prey. I prefer the look of older carbines versus the newer models ( just my preference). On the look out for a Ruger pc40 to match up to my G27.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back