Thoughts from a former Arizona shooter......

shadow106

Shadow106
Since I moved to Idaho in 2007, I've noticed that compared to Arizona, the incidence of open carry seems to be far less than down there. I've seen no more than two shooters in open carry mode on the street, & I was very surprised that while running a small gun shop in Garden Valley, only one person came in over almost six months, with an open-carry-rig on. I'm not complaining, because too many open carry advocates that I've met over the years, seem to be carrying mostly to start arguments.

I say that with nearly four decades of LE experience, during which I found that most open carry types viewed LE as the enemy, which was a shame since most of us supported the right to keep and bear.....etc. There's a commercial on t.v. that says, if you wear an eye patch, people will think you're tough. If they think you're tough, they'll want to find out just HOW tough you are, and you'll end up in a ditch somewhere. Even if you ARE tough, is it really necessary to go through all of that?

From my time in the shop, and at our local range, I also noticed that many people are carrying concealed, and I am proud of Idaho CCW people, 'cause I've only met one in my five years up here, that couldn't stand it and just HAD to show off his weapon. Show and tell was a pretty common occurrence in my former locale, and usually totally defeated the principle of CCW. Must have somethin' to do with the Cowboy DNA floating around down there.

I remember when a state DPS officer was telling three of us about his sniper training, and when he whipped out his Sig P220 to show us the fiber optic front sight, we cleared the room in about two seconds. He told us later that he picked the green sight because "green means go" in the sniper vernacular. He didn't ask us if we cared.

Living where I do, most of the people I run into at the range are long weapons people. There are a few hand-gunners around, but they don't make a lot of noise about their carry weapons, and I really enjoy that. Its kind of impressive to have someone tell you that they got their Black Bear or Cougar, and when you ask with what, they tell you it was a .40 S&W pistol. Obviously they had to be close to the critter, but the caliber did the job. Most of the time, the stories involve Boone and Crockett size Elk, taken at 3.8 miles with a 105 Howitzer sized rifle of some sort. I'm prejudiced, but I think a hand gunner, black powder or archery hunter put in way more time, finding and stalking...hunting in other words, then a long weapon hunter who can accomplish much of that at extreme distance thanks to terrific optics. But, if you're hunting to feed yourself and your family, ANYthing is fair.

Anyway, enough lecture and philosophy for now. Suffice to say that I have seen some marked differences between the two areas, and neither is superior or inferior to the other. They are different, and that pretty much sums it up for me.

Okay. I'll shut up now.

It's sorta the same in Oregon. I've only EVER seen two people open carrying, and that was in Eastern Oregon (Baker City, my hometown). I have yet to see an OC in western Oregon. It's great that we have the right to open carry, but it's stupid for an OC to think that he/she can do it without getting attention. I mostly use my right to open carry while hunting/hiking/going out shooting, but everybody knows that sheeple are scared of guns so I avoid doing it around town. If you want your gun on you, conceal it; you'll never be approached or bothered for it and you're always armed. It seems like too many OC'ers are only doing it to get attention and to have something to complain about when police come to check them out.
Lastly, it annoys me that so many of the videos show people arguing with police and somehow expecting to not be arrested or lectured. If you open carry, great, it's your right, but realize that if you're approached by the police that you MUST comply with their commands. If they detain you wrongly, too bad. Keep your mouth shut and take them to court over it. The OC'ers that make a scene with LEO's are hurting our image as gun owners.

I was born and raised in Idaho and 20 years ago OC attitudes were night and day compared with what you see now. Especially in rural communities, OC was no big deal. That includes the public display of a shotgun or some sort of varmint rifle in a rear window gun rack. In fact, ranchers and locals who went out into the desert areas of Southern Idaho carried a pistol out of pure necessity(rattlesnakes). 99% of the time if you were headed out into the desert and stopped by the Circle K on the way out the only comment that was made to someone OC'ing was "headed out south today huh?" After the invasion by the nanny-state ninnys in the 90s, OC became much less prevalent and more of an oddity, due to the scaredy-cat reactions to seeing a pistol on one's hip. I certainly miss the way things were 'back in the day" and would love nothing more than for the gun-hating libs that invaded Idaho to be sent back to their little communist hole to rot for eternity. The one saving grace is that through the resurgence of OC, particularly in larger cities is driving things back to where they should be.

Back in the day it wasn't uncommon to have several pickups in the high school parking lot with a rifle in a window rack during hunting season. Now a days even mentioning the word gun could get you suspended. My how times have changed. I don't carry open unless I'm hunting.

I dont open carry unless I am (1) hunting, (2) hiking in the USFS lands or BLM, or (3) investigating a noise or other incident late at night in my immediate neighborhood.

I do not feel OC is neccessary or appropriate at any other time. CC seems perfectly satisfactory the rest of the time.

The only advantage of OC over CC is that you can draw quicker with OC.

And the only time you would need to draw quickly is when (1) hunting, (2) hiking in the USFS lands or BLM, or (3) investigating a noise or other incident late at night in my immediate neighborhood.

Hi all, newbie here. I moved to Arizona from Idaho last summer... I agree, I see people open carrying more often here.

On another note... I have an Idaho ccw, does anyone know if I need to convert it to a non-resident permit? Do I need to contact Idaho officials to change my address to my new AZ address?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back