This is an excerpt from the summary of what may be a good movie

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
The world is in ruins after some apocalyptic event. A father and his son are walking south in an attempt to escape the increasingly cold, endless winter. Along the way they have to avoid gangs of lawless killers. Their only weapon is a pistol with 2 shots. The father has dreams about his wife, who suicided before the story begins. On the road to a better place, they encounter cannibals and organized militants, as well as other refugees. At one point they find an intact bomb shelter filled with food and supplies. Rather than remain in this sanctuary, they continue on because they have not yet reached the coast. The only named character they encounter in the entire book is an old man who says his name is Ely. Ely is harmless and alone and they share a meal and talk for a bit. They find out Ely is not his real name and he created this false name in order to keep from being found by other refugees. They eventually part ways. The whole journey is a struggle to survive in a world no longer capable of sustaining life. They almost lose this struggle when a thief makes off with all their worldly possessions, and the Father nearly loses his struggle to hold on to his humanity in taking those possessions back. The boy is all that keeps him barely human. The boy is his warrant, in his own words. In the end, they reach the coast but find it is no different, no better than the place they left behind. The father finally succumbs to the illness that has plagued him from the beginning, dying and leaving the boy alone. But he is not alone for long before another finds him, another man holding on to his humanity -- only he's been a little more successful because he had help. Now the boy has a family.

The book is decent enough, Let's see how the movie turns out.

The Road is out on video now

The world is in ruins after some apocalyptic event. A father and his son are walking south in an attempt to escape the increasingly cold, endless winter. Along the way they have to avoid gangs of lawless killers. Their only weapon is a pistol with 2 shots. The father has dreams about his wife, who suicided before the story begins. On the road to a better place, they encounter cannibals and organized militants, as well as other refugees. At one point they find an intact bomb shelter filled with food and supplies. Rather than remain in this sanctuary, they continue on because they have not yet reached the coast. The only named character they encounter in the entire book is an old man who says his name is Ely. Ely is harmless and alone and they share a meal and talk for a bit. They find out Ely is not his real name and he created this false name in order to keep from being found by other refugees. They eventually part ways. The whole journey is a struggle to survive in a world no longer capable of sustaining life. They almost lose this struggle when a thief makes off with all their worldly possessions, and the Father nearly loses his struggle to hold on to his humanity in taking those possessions back. The boy is all that keeps him barely human. The boy is his warrant, in his own words. In the end, they reach the coast but find it is no different, no better than the place they left behind. The father finally succumbs to the illness that has plagued him from the beginning, dying and leaving the boy alone. But he is not alone for long before another finds him, another man holding on to his humanity -- only he's been a little more successful because he had help. Now the boy has a family.

The book is decent enough, Let's see how the movie turns out.

It was the most painful two hours of my life that I will never get back. Bummer...the book was good.

It is a shame when we sit through a movie and it completely fails to meet our expectations. By the way festus what did you thing of the movie The Book of Eli?

That was an awesome movie

It is a shame when we sit through a movie and it completely fails to meet our expectations. By the way festus what did you thing of the movie The Book of Eli?

After seeing Book of Eli in the theatre...I was proud of my Christianity and life choices I have made. I loved the fact that they did not goof up the verses that were quoted.

Absolutely, the worst movie I have ever seen. I started the survivalist way of life recently and the whole movie was spent looking at what I wouldn't do. Even my wife nuked this movie. Seriously, are the folks in Hollywood that ignorant or was this movie some dumb joke. I didn't read the book, but if it is anything like the movie its utterly ridiculous. I expected much better.

Or maybe I should be thanking them. If most folks do what was in that movie, then my family will survive longer.

I liked the movie. One scene I won't forget takes place in an abndoned "big box" store (Walmart?). The survivors are desperate for anything that they can use, and the father finds a soda for the boy. It is the first and last soda the boy will ever have. As the scene ends, we briefly see an ATM that has been smashed and broken. On the floor is money that no one has bothered to pick up, because it is completely useless.

One line I won't forget in the book came from the old man on the road (for some reason, it wasn't in the movie). He said, "There is no God, and we are His disciples". I'm still thinking about that one.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back