This is an actual scenario unfolding for me Now What would you do?

I'd say 1. look for new job. 2. So long as you carry responsibly, carry anyways. 3. If trouble arises, do everything in your power to avoid having to use the gun, if it means leaving your post to protect your life, do it. 4. ONLY resort to gun, if there is NO other option and only to save life.

I kind of think like Red Hat. I don't think I would strap on my .40, it will both be likely spotted by your bosses and even faster by the perps who will see taking it from you as part of the game.

I would get a nice little LCP or P-3at or and pocket carry it. It will be there if you need it and it will not be made if you don't.

So if concealed is concealed, who cares what the bosses say just don't tell them or anyone else you are carrying. Should the time come that you actually need to use the weapon it may not be a .40 but it is a whole lot more firepower than nothing and you will at least be alive to get fired!

I'd say 1. look for new job. 2. So long as you carry responsibly, carry anyways. 3. If trouble arises, do everything in your power to avoid having to use the gun, if it means leaving your post to protect your life, do it. 4. ONLY resort to gun, if there is NO other option and only to save life.

Numbers 3 and 4 are good rules to follow no matter what. Your gun is a last resort.

A prime example of when a gun should not be used.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gene...08-waffle-house-waitress-shoots-customer.html

Last edited:
Thanks everyone this thread can end now situation resolved!

Thanks everyone for the advice , my company has many other safer sites that are unarmed and until they decide to arm that site or until the client decides to go armed, I asked to be assigned to a new post and I hav been transfered to a new site, and am in the process of being trained by the company for an armed post should they need me there since I already have a GFL they said it will be easier to get certified by the State to carry on the Job. So thanks again everyone !!

Thanks everyone for the advice , my company has many other safer sites that are unarmed and until they decide to arm that site or until the client decides to go armed, I asked to be assigned to a new post and I hav been transfered to a new site, and am in the process of being trained by the company for an armed post should they need me there since I already have a GFL they said it will be easier to get certified by the State to carry on the Job. So thanks again everyone !!

Good news, Ihope it works out for you. I do feel bad for your replacement. :fie:

Not to sound too harsh...but are you freakin' kidding me? You're in a very dangerous position and you've already been threatened. You're putting your ass on the line for what? A measly paycheck? Forget about it. Either arm up and take the eventual consequences or find another job. You got a wife and kids? Think about it. Dude, you're basically in a Code Red situation with no means of protection.

JJFlash

I am one also!

I am a security guard going on six months and I can tell you that one of the first things I learned is that they don,t care about your safety even though they tell you this in your post duties. They will tell you to don,t put yourself in danger but at the same time they say you cannot be armed on this particular site. I have been in certain scenarios that I could have been killed but do you think they care about that? All they care about is collecting their money from their clients. I was even put on one job that was suppose to be armed but I was not certified to carry with the company so I could not carry that night. About a hour into my shift the manager told me to watch this man as he was shop lifting. Before I could turn around the manager approached the shoplifter and took his jacket and pulled on it.Every thing dropped out and I was standing there watching not knowing if the man had a gun under his jacket or not. This was a very bad feeling I had that night not having anything to protect myself. Anyhow the man stopped and looked at me and ran. I tried to stop him but he got away. When I told this story to my supervisor he did not seem to be that concerned and told me that he would not put me back on that site. This is a wakeup call for me as I am currently seeking another job. The little bit of money that they are paying me is not worth it. I need the money also but some how my life is worth more!

I have worked both armed and unarmed security in the past. I have always considered unarmed security a contridiction in terms. I once worked a country club part time 10 P.M. to 6 A.M. There were two security officers on duty and we took turns every two hours patroling all over the course on a golf cart. There were some very dark, remote areas out there. It was an unarmed assignment but you better believe I had a firearm concealed on me. Remember "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

As someone who once worked as a Manager in the Private Security business, let me say this. They do not care about you. You can't be trusted with a gun. You are a liablity to them when you have a gun. They would rather you die, than be sued by someone you shot. They have yuppie lawyers in this industry that are not only anti-gun, but don't have a clue about shootings in self defense. Further, they don't want to waste the money on you for training you with a firearm. Even if it cost only $100, as was the case in the company I worked for, it's still a waste to the bottom line.

If your widow sues because you were not allowed to be armed, they will say the customer didn't want armed people, or that you knew that you were going to be unarmed anyway. They would rather fight a lawsuit by you or your family, than a lawsuit brought on by a perpetrator or his family. I'm telling you the absolute truth here. In a national company, the people who generally make decisions about you being armed are are sitting behind a big desk in New York, looking at the bottom line and figuring the liability risk. That's it. We used to get memos telling us to discourage customers from requesting an Armed Guard. If they demand it, we should charge them heavily for the service of being armed, to counter the cost of liability and continue to discourage the customer about guns. Any weapon to them is a liability and a threat to their profits. Even Pepper Spray and batons. Nothing more. One Manager I knew was so concerned about the liability to his bottom line interfering with his quarterly bonuses, he made his armed guards keep the gun unloaded and ammo in their pocket like Barney Fife. He said, if trouble started, they could load their revolver, but only with 5 rounds, not 6. They charge the customer $16 and hour, pay you $8 an hour, and use the rest to pay for your "used" uniforms, their own liability insurance coverage, Supervisors having to drive by and check on you, etc.

I got out of this business because it is such a cut-throat industry. If your company gets a contract, someone from another company is already approaching that customer for doing it for a nickel per hour less. That is why there are so many minimum wage, sloppy, or Goofy Security Guards out there. There are some highly paid profesionals in Security with Law Enforcement experience and college degrees, but the contract guard service is generally a joke.
So just to let you know, the risk is on you and you alone. My personal decision would be to have a concealed 38 Airweight or a good .380 in a pocket holster or something. But you will be fired and they will try to distance themselves from you legally if you have to shoot. Your call!!!

As someone who once worked as a Manager in the Private Security business, let me say this. They do not care about you. You can't be trusted with a gun. You are a liablity to them when you have a gun. They would rather you die, than be sued by someone you shot. They have yuppie lawyers in this industry that are not only anti-gun, but don't have a clue about shootings in self defense. Further, they don't want to waste the money on you for training you with a firearm. Even if it cost only $100, as was the case in the company I worked for, it's still a waste to the bottom line.

If your widow sues because you were not allowed to be armed, they will say the customer didn't want armed people, or that you knew that you were going to be unarmed anyway. They would rather fight a lawsuit by you or your family, than a lawsuit brought on by a perpetrator or his family. I'm telling you the absolute truth here. In a national company, the people who generally make decisions about you being armed are are sitting behind a big desk in New York, looking at the bottom line and figuring the liability risk. That's it. We used to get memos telling us to discourage customers from requesting an Armed Guard. If they demand it, we should charge them heavily for the service of being armed, to counter the cost of liability and continue to discourage the customer about guns. Any weapon to them is a liability and a threat to their profits. Even Pepper Spray and batons. Nothing more. One Manager I knew was so concerned about the liability to his bottom line interfering with his quarterly bonuses, he made his armed guards keep the gun unloaded and ammo in their pocket like Barney Fife. He said, if trouble started, they could load their revolver, but only with 5 rounds, not 6. They charge the customer $16 and hour, pay you $8 an hour, and use the rest to pay for your "used" uniforms, their own liability insurance coverage, Supervisors having to drive by and check on you, etc.

I got out of this business because it is such a cut-throat industry. If your company gets a contract, someone from another company is already approaching that customer for doing it for a nickel per hour less. That is why there are so many minimum wage, sloppy, or Goofy Security Guards out there. There are some highly paid profesionals in Security with Law Enforcement experience and college degrees, but the contract guard service is generally a joke.
So just to let you know, the risk is on you and you alone. My personal decision would be to have a concealed 38 Airweight or a good .380 in a pocket holster or something. Nut you will be fired and they will try to distance themselves from you legally if you have to shoot. Your call!!!

Sounds like excellent advice to me.

I am afraid for you and your family. But, as I read on, I am happy to hear that you are getting reaasigned. There was alot of sound advice, and I concur w/ them in stating better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Good Luck, & Godspeed!

Carry! The company is only looking out for themselves by trying to avoid lawsuits from the BG if you would have to protect yourself with your weapon- when in fact their allegiance should be with you. I know how difficult it can be finding a job these days but this is your life we are talking about. Don't be a Victim!!

Unarmed security is an oxymoron. And I love how You start out on an Armored car with hundreds of thousands of dollars or more, making twelve dollars an hour and they charge 30+ an hour for their services when it's not their hind-ends on the line.

Ranger984 I also am an armed security officer. I reserve the right to refuse to go to any security site that I deem is unsafe. I don't know what state you are in, but in my state (Florida), if you carry armed on an unarmed site you will lose your Security
License. Your concealed license means nothing as a security officer. It is strictly for civilians. And I believe that if you pull and shoot on an unarmed site , you will be prosecuted for carrying concealed on an unarmed site. I maybe wrong about this, but that is why I reserve the right to refuse to work an unsafe site. When your boss can't get anyone to work his site then maybe he will wake up. But, it has to be done by the whole staff of the site or it probably won't work . I would rather look for a new job than have my life ended because my boss is too money hungry to tell the client that they must not only allow the officers to carry a gun, but they also must pay you more for carrying the gun. I have turned down many jobs this year where they want me to carry a gun for $10.00 per hour or less. What a joke. They can have their stupid job if that is the case. You watch, the demand for quality armed security officers is going to go dramatically up when the crime rate goes up. If you are not licensed to carry a gun on duty, spend your own money and buy your own gun that you are comfortable with. Don't let your Employer dictate what quality of gun you have. The state you live in may tell you what caliber you can carry, like Florida does, but I can control the quality of my weapon. I carry a Smith and Wesson 5906, 9 mm, with Crimson Trace laser grips. Be safe out there, and don't let your employer force you into losing your life.

If you have a permit from Ohio you should be good in both KY and TN (according to the state reciprocities on this site).

Concealed carry is not appropriate in this situation. I am not trying to sway you from doing so. In fact I think that you should. The reason I think it is inappropriate is that your adversaries know you and are able to easily surprise you. In your situation I assume you are wearing a uniform where you would to deeply conceal your gun. Try to draw from your carry options. It more than likely it won't be very fast. It is likely you'll be drawing at sight of the BG weapon at least the cops draw from holsters and have a good chance. Quit now while you still can the people who love you want you in one piece.

They know you are there

If they know you are there then they know what you drive and what you look like. That being said, if comments were made that they do not like you there it is going to be harder for you to stand your post anyway because now they know you are there. WHich also means you are a liability. Your title is Ranger? Were you one? If so there are other opportunities that exist for those with the backgrounds such as ours (I was Navy SF). I would do some looking and start taking to some other groups that exist. It will still be dangerous work but at least you can be armed with the "items" needed to complete the mission and keep you safer than a sitting duck that you seem to be in now.

Just some advice. Be safe and remain aware of those around you.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back