This is an actual scenario unfolding for me Now What would you do?

Ranger984

I work for a Security Company that even though I have a GFL and am legally allowed to carry concealed I am not allowed to the reason I am bringing this question up is I am posted at an apartment Complex which is infested with Drug dealers and activity. and I am supposed to help rid the comp-lex of this illegal activity and provide a safe place for the law abiding residents. Keep in mind they want me and two other Officers to do this with only a Cellphone. This past Friday night into Saturday Morning there was a Disturbance in the Complex the Police were called but the Perps left before they arrived. Later in the Day on Saturday I was informed by another Officer that someone had said they didn't like me being there in the complex and that I was Lucky I made it through the night Alive, again right Now this is an unarmed post, I notified My supervisor and the asssistant Branch manager of the Threat and they were talking about seeing if they can arm us with Pepper Spray and an Asp Baton. I however think we need More than just Pepper Spray and an Asp Baton, and with the economy in the Crapper its not easy for me to find another job in security. any thoughts or comments on this Active Scenario? I am taking the Threat very seriously and carry my .40 in my car anyway.

Find another job dude. You're not a cop, it's not worth the pay or the trouble to put your life at risk.

JMHO

gf

Thanks Gckfan I am looking into other security companies but can't afford to quit without having another Job lined up to go to.

1. conceal a gun to cover your ass until ya find a new job...2. the police get paid well and have the authority to actually " rid the comp-lex of this illegal activity "..Just watch your back and if the s!@# hits the fan call the Police....but from the sounds of it I'd probably conceal a weapon if I had a threat like that hanging over me..who gives a damn if they fire you for it , If they even find out..at least you'll be prepared if they actually try to follow through with their threats...

Thanks Gckfan I am looking into other security companies but can't afford to quit without having another Job lined up to go to.

I understand that problem and would be looking hard for a different job. You could conceal anyway and hope that you don't have to use it. You situtaion is much like the pizza delivery guys, the people that make these rules need to have to actually get out to see and face reality. What looks good on paper doesn't always work in the field.

I would definately carry concealed. You probably won't have time to make it to your car if you needed it. Just my $0.02

I would definately carry concealed. You probably won't have time to make it to your car if you needed it. Just my $0.02

just what I was thinking. your life is worth more than that. protect yourself as well as you can.. and if it is in fact concealed then no one will know anyway unless you have to use it.

I'd carry concealed regardless of their policy. I'd even carry a BUG in my pocket. If nothing every happens at least you'll have the satisfaction and ease of mind that you have a means to protect yourself. The worst thing that can happen if you get caught is you'll get fired and if you get fired you can draw unemployment. :wink:

Dude, carry! You have been threatened, and if your superiors do not support your safety, I'd carry, and then look into some way to sue the company for failing to adequately protect you from these threats.

If you're working as a paid security guard for someone, can you LEGALLY carry without an armed security guard license?

Just wondering.

Either way, I'd carry until I found a new job.

You can't afford to quit before you find a new job, can you afford to die??? QUIT!!!

Or at least upgrade your life insurance so you loved ones are taken care of when you are dead. File formal complaints with your company about the dangerous working condition, so your dependents have a better lawsuit against your employer for not mitigating the risks.

It really sounds like this complex needs to hire off duty police to act as security until the BGs are driven out.

Best of luck.

If you're working as a paid security guard for someone, can you LEGALLY carry without an armed security guard license?

Just wondering.

Either way, I'd carry until I found a new job.
Legally - no. You have to have the proper "armed guard" rating (Class 'G' in Fla, I think) before you can carry as part of your job.

Technically - if I had been threatened on the job, even by rumor, I'd be prepared to protect myself, one way or the other.

Yes, what they said----double-triple even.

Case in point, will your employer still send you your paychecks if you are injured/killed by these thugs?...thought not. Conceal carry but get out of there fast

If my husband came to me and told me what you told us this is what I would tell him.

QUIT. We can eat dog-food but we can't replace you.

No job is worth your life. Also (don't know FLA) but in PA if you quite with a cause you can collect unemployment. Threats and safety on the job are legitimate reasons to quit for.

It is always better to ask for forgiveness than permittion. Dude, Have a backup! Their life isn't worth it!!!!:angry:

My spelling may be poor, You get the point! When in doubt, Point, aim, shoot-! Protect #1 End of discussion!
Deal with it later. You will be employed, and worst senaro, you got your point accrost!:angry:

Thanks folks thats what I was thinking just needed confirmation from Law Abiding citizens like yourselves with rational minds.

I've worked for security companies, both as an officer and as a manager. It doesn't matter what level you work at, you are expendable.

They will only provide the service that the client will pay for and require. If you really need that job I would ask to talk to your manager and operations manager direct. Tell them that you will be going to the dept of labor office to file a report of the hazardous working conditions.

Then go that very same day to the Dept of labor and file a complaint no matter what your manager tells you. Actually you should go now since you already reported it and nothing is getting done.

This way if the company finds another reason to let you go, because you don't want to work that site, you will have cause for an unemployment claim.

Since you have already complained, they will just tell you what they think you want to hear to keep you coming to work. They are not going to risk losing the account by asking the client to pay double or triple for armed security.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back