This is a man Jesse, Al, and Louis Farrakhan could learn something from!

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
The author of this article is a columnist for my hometown newspaper. I have been reading his columns for a while now and I'm impressed. Al Shartpon, Louis Farrakhan, and Jesse Jackson could definitely learn something from him.

Link Removed

During the Democratic National Convention, set on the 45th anniversary of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, my focus drifted to the rich history of black people in America.

Black delegates were, as I was, extremely proud of this historical moment. Yet, I began to wonder about the philosophical similarities or differences between black leaders like Sen. Barack Obama, the Rev. Al Sharpton, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, and Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington and King.

Each has stood for what he believed to be the authentically black position of his day. The question I will address in this three-part series is whether the past leaders would agree with positions espoused by current black leadership.

To examine this, one must juxtapose the historical record of quotes and books by past leaders against current ideas emanating from black leaders.

Douglass, a former slave, embodied early black leadership in America. Escaping in 1838, Douglass rose to prominence as an abolitionist in the 1850s and continued until his death in 1895.

In his 1865 speech before the Anti-Slavery Society, Douglass described his philosophy concerning the uplift of blacks in America when he said: "Everybody has asked the question ... 'What shall we do with the Negro?' I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Do nothing with us! If the apples will not remain on the tree of their own strength, if they are worm-eaten at the core, if they are early ripe and disposed to fall, let them fall! I am not for tying or fastening them on the tree in any way, except by nature's plan, and if they will not stay there, let them fall. And if the Negro cannot stand on his own legs, let him fall also. All I ask is, give him a chance to stand on his own legs."

Douglass seems committed to black uplift as the result of individual responsibility, occurring in an atmosphere of unencumbered opportunity.

This is fascinating when considering Douglass lived in an America that provided only rare opportunities for blacks to succeed. Opposing this position seems to be the mantra of current black leadership.

Obama, while in Gary, said, "I think it's time we had a president who doesn't deny our problems or blame the American people for them, but takes responsibility and provides the leadership to solve them."

Obama's position commits the resources of the presidency to solve the problems of Americans. Should this be the task of the president? If so, then perhaps we should include this in the presidential oath. We could remove the part about upholding the Constitution and defending us from all enemies, both foreign and domestic, and replace those words with the promise to pay all my debt, educate my children, allow people to enter America illegally, and pay for it all by raising taxes on those of us who are most successful.

Americans would never stand for this, yet it is interesting to see ideas of success compared with one another. Douglass' position not only works for black Americans, but for all Americans. The Constitution does not guarantee equal success, but does guarantee equal protection and equal opportunity. To expect that we should all succeed applying various levels of personal industry is like saying every horse should win just because he is in the race.

The Constitution does not guarantee equal success, but does guarantee equal protection and equal opportunity. To expect that we should all succeed applying various levels of personal industry is like saying every horse should win just because he is in the race.
Good article. This is the root to all things wrong in American politics now. Until everyone learns this and starts applying it to everyday life we will always have Government interference. People have to stop the give me attitude and then our officials will get the message!

Good article. This is the root to all things wrong in American politics now. Until everyone learns this and starts applying it to everyday life we will always have Government interference. People have to stop the give me attitude and then our officials will get the message!

You're right, but stop holding your tongue. What you should have said is that Black people need to stop listening to the likes of Al, Jesse, and Louis and instead of blaming their troubles on white people or the government, start taking responsibility for themselves.

We do need more trade school for our young.College is great at making liberals that cant turn a wrench.

The author of this article is a columnist for my hometown newspaper. I have been reading his columns for a while now and I'm impressed. Al Shartpon, Louis Farrakhan, and Jesse Jackson could definitely learn something from him.

Link Removed

During the Democratic National Convention, set on the 45th anniversary of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, my focus drifted to the rich history of black people in America.

{SNIP}

. The Constitution does not guarantee equal success, but does guarantee equal protection and equal opportunity. To expect that we should all succeed applying various levels of personal industry is like saying every horse should win just because he is in the race.
Welcome to the Republican Party.

So 'splain to me why blacks in America are overwhelmingly Democrat when the Democrats have done nothing but work to ensure that they remain dependent for the rest of their lives? I don't understand.

Good thread

OK you got me started; first I am an Adult Educator.Every year when I start a new class it has its share of what I call professional students. Tatted and Ret Hat you are both right. The Blacks don’t have a corner on this market there is a LOT of whites out there just as bad. Have this you owe it me attitude. The first night of class the one thing I say is this. If you are here thinking this School or I owe you something you are dead wrong. What I will do is teach a trade and a way to better your life but if you chose not to use the skills I am about to teach you than do not blame the school or me. Look at yourself. I have some students that never come back but the ones that stick it out do get jogs. Thanks for letting me give my 2c worth.

Last edited:
OK you got me started; first I am an Adult Educator. Very year when I start a new class it has its share of what I call professional students. Tatted and Ret Hat you are both right. The Blacks don’t have a corner on this market there is a LOT of whites out there just as bad. Have this you owe it me attitude. The first night of class the one thing I say is this. If you are here thinking this School or I owe you something you are dead wrong. What I will do is teach a trade and a way to better your life but if you chose not to use the skills I am about to teach you than do not blame the school or me. Look at yourself. I have some students that never come back but the ones that stick it out do get jogs. Thanks for letting me give my 2c worth.
As it should be. Equality of opportunity. What you do with the opportunity is up to you and you alone.

No and I dont mind helping someone thats down. I would just like them to try to get up.:alcoholic:

Welcome to the Republican Party.

So 'splain to me why blacks in America are overwhelmingly Democrat when the Democrats have done nothing but work to ensure that they remain dependent for the rest of their lives? I don't understand.

Not just Democrats, but also these self-professed civil rights leaders. If Blacks aren't downtrodden victims of this capitalistic cesspool, then Al and Jesse cease to be relevant. So yes, Al, Jesse, and Louis stand to lose if Blacks as a whole start ignoring them and get rid of the victim mentality that they are responsible for engendering.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back