This guy seems to have done just about everything right....

NavyLCDR

Link Removed

Good situational awareness detecting the surprise attack from behind early into the attack.
Immediately reacting to the threat by turning and assessing the immediate need to deflect the assailant's gun.
Being able to draw and fire while deflecting the assailant's gun.
Carrying a fully loaded handgun with one in the chamber ready to go.
Excellent marksmanship, even under extreme movement and stress, although he might have been trying to aim center mass and ended up with the head shot due to falling.

Although....if the assailant was also carrying a fully loaded gun with one in the chamber ready to go, he might have been able to shoot the poor old guy - but that's the chance you take if you are too afraid to carry a real gun fully loaded - the guy with the loaded gun will likely beat you.

Link Removed

Good situational awareness detecting the surprise attack from behind early into the attack.
Immediately reacting to the threat by turning and assessing the immediate need to deflect the assailant's gun.
Being able to draw and fire while deflecting the assailant's gun.
Carrying a fully loaded handgun with one in the chamber ready to go.
Excellent marksmanship, even under extreme movement and stress, although he might have been trying to aim center mass and ended up with the head shot due to falling.

Although....if the assailant was also carrying a fully loaded gun with one in the chamber ready to go, he might have been able to shoot the poor old guy - but that's the chance you take if you are too afraid to carry a real gun fully loaded - the guy with the loaded gun will likely beat you.

I am still a bit confused on the carry conditions, but I like my SR9 racked with one in the pipe and the safety on. This is a good compromise for me, having my firearm ready to use with very little effort, but more than just squeezing the trigger.

I am still a bit confused on the carry conditions, but I like my SR9 racked with one in the pipe and the safety on. This is a good compromise for me, having my firearm ready to use with very little effort, but more than just squeezing the trigger.

Conditions are mainly for 1911 (but any firearm with a thumb safety works)

0: chambered, cocked, thumb safety off
1: chambered, cocked, thumb safety on (common carry method)
2: chambered, decocked, safety off (or on?)
3: chamber empty, decocked, safety off (or on?)

Slightly different descriptions for striker fire and da/sa firearms.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Conditions are mainly for 1911 (but any firearm with a thumb safety works)

0: chambered, cocked, thumb safety off
1: chambered, cocked, thumb safety on (common carry method)
2: chambered, decocked, safety off (or on?)
3: chamber empty, decocked, safety off (or on?)

Slightly different descriptions for striker fire and da/sa firearms.

Thanks. :)

So condition 1 for me. I like that I'd have to take 2 actions to fire it, where the preliminary one can happen at the same time I draw it. Still, I recognize, I'll need to spend time practicing this. I have not been doing practical exercises as the places I have been shooting do not allow drawing. I'm going to work on that though when I get settled in my new place.

Thanks. :)

So condition 1 for me. I like that I'd have to take 2 actions to fire it, where the preliminary one can happen at the same time I draw it. Still, I recognize, I'll need to spend time practicing this. I have not been doing practical exercises as the places I have been shooting do not allow drawing. I'm going to work on that though when I get settled in my new place.

Some people describe conditions as how many steps it takes before you can pull the trigger, which helps make the conditions universal.

Besides going to the range when no one is there (I have a key to all the ranges at my facility, so that's not an option for everyone), the only other option I have to do practical exercises is a firearm Academy...that's expensive.

A "good news" story. Glad to see that it seems to have gotten fairly good local coverage as well.
For aacx22: You can practice drawing your firearm virtually anywhere. Dry-fire exercises are an excellent way to build quality repetitions, and you can vary the conditions as much as you can imagine (heavy clothing, sitting, kneeling, flat on your back, etc.). Start slowly. Build several hundred repetitions of slow, smooth, correct drawing and presenting your firearm before you work on speed. 10-15 minutes of quality practice a couple of times a week will yield huge improvements in not too long a time. Short quality training sessions are better than marathon sessions. A note of caution: Continue to rigorously observe firearm safety rules while conducting dry fire/firearm handling practice. Do not allow ANY live ammo where you practice. Thoroughly check that your firearm is unloaded, and continue to ensure that your muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction when you do your practice. For semi-auto pistols, if you are going to use snap caps or dummy rounds (this can enhance your training in my opinion) I recommend using a magazine that you designate for dry-fire practice only. Mark it in a manner that makes it visibly obvious that this is your dry-fire practice magazine, and then NEVER load live ammo in it.

Excellent job by the 67 year old gentleman under very difficult conditions. One in the pipe is essential.

Carrying a Glock 36 or a revolver , I'm always ready to go. That doesn't mean I'll win, but at least it's a start. :laugh:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back