Thinking about rejoining.

pistolmonkey

I'm a former Marine in the Infantry, and I'm debating on going back into the Ga national Guard to be an MP.

I know that I will then be working for Obama, but I just miss the satisfaction that I got from being in the USMC.

Anyway, that's all.....just wanted to up my post count!! :dance3:

Well good luck hope it all works out. They did just raise the scores for the ASVAB you use to only need a 31 to get into the army and a 16 or over with a Cat4 wavier. But now the min score is 50 or better.

Be careful. I did the same thing after I left the Navy. I would go and hang out with them at their next drill. You may be surpised by the difference between active duty and NG. In my case, the NG was a little more lax on discipline. Many of them wouldn't have made it on AD. However, with most guard units having been deployed multiple times, that may be a non-issue by now.

That is also true the Guard is not the best. Some guys who are in it have a paint size bigger then the fat guy in the red suit. Another thing that sucks about the guard is. That if you are up for promotion and your unit has no open slots for ( SGT) then you have to wait still one opens up to be promoted. Or move to another unit that has a open slot.

Well good luck hope it all works out. They did just raise the scores for the ASVAB you use to only need a 31 to get into the army and a 16 or over with a Cat4 wavier. But now the min score is 50 or better.

Yea the ASVAB score isn't a problem, as my recruiter pulled my scores and said "Good Lord!, you can have any job you want". :biggrin:

That is also true the Guard is not the best. Some guys who are in it have a paint size bigger then the fat guy in the red suit. Another thing that sucks about the guard is. That if you are up for promotion and your unit has no open slots for ( SGT) then you have to wait still one opens up to be promoted. Or move to another unit that has a open slot.

Yea funny thing about that is that for my height (72") the max weight for Prior Service is 200lbs. I'm at 212lbs (no I'm not fat), but I easily make tape, and can easily pass the PFT.

Hey pistolmonkey,
Got a movie for you to watch: 'Home of the Brave', (2006) with Samuel L. Jackson. Follows the story of 4 (WA State) Army Reserve soldiers who complete a tour in Iraq and come home to lives they have problems many Vets face when they try to pick it up where they left off. I saw myself in that good flick as the misunderstood/angry young white guy who can't adapt to civilian life and went back to something I knew was a lot harder, but with comrades and ways I could relate too and doing something a bit more challenging than flipping burgers in a Mc-D's. Got out of the Army in Dec 1979 as an ex-Combat Engineer after a horrible 3 year Cold War tour in Germany, FTA! Came home way-changed and I could not even stand being around normal civilians, couldn't even find a job. 7 months later I was back in a recruiters office and on my way to become a Medic at Ft. Sam Houston, found my true calling in the Army after that and retired at 20 years in as an E7/SFC. Spent more time humping with the Infantry as their medic than in any Army fixed hospital, but I was their 'Doc', and saving lives IMHO beats taking them. When we are there many hate it looking forward to only going home, then we get home and it is not easy reintegrating, and take a look around at how many good jobs even exist anymore, unemployment is at record highs nation-wide. If things pan out the way BHO wants, Iraq may be lo-scale in 16 months and Afghanistan may be the orders many get. As much as I envied/degraded/razzed the U.S. Air Force :crazy_pilot: for good duty, chow, bases, etc., and less misery than most ground-pounding MOS's endure, it is IMHO a branch you may want to look at for meeting 2 goals, still serving your nation, and doing it with a lot more creature comforts than the Army or the USMC ever sees. Keep us posted on how you play this out and best of luck fellow Vet.

Canis-Lupus

Last edited:
pistolmonkey, yes Obama will be your CinC but ultimately you are working for the American People. Good luck with whatever you decide. Thank you for your service.

A fellow vet
Hamster:crazy_pilot:

"Any job you want," huh? My recruiter would only draw a line on a chart and say, "you can have any job to the left of this line."

That the line was FAR to the right of any job on the chart did NOT mean I could have any job in the Army. Only those to the left of that line.

Clearly, he was a careful man...

Ah, but medical disqualifications follow you across branches, sadly...

...I know that I will then be working for Obama...

I don't think you're going to be getting much support from the Federal government during the next administration and it's certainly going to be difficult for all in the military.

While Obama way be the 'Commander in Chief' you're actually working for me--and every other citizen you'll be protecting. And whatever your choice, keep in mind that many millions of us appreciate the service you and others provide for our well-being.

I'll trust you'll do all your homework, pistolmonkey, and ultimately make the best choice for you and the reasons most important to you.

I had a 14 yr. break-in-service and came back into the reserves after being active - but only because of the assignment to a weapons instructions unit. Even though I love what I do with small arms instruction and equipping deploying troops with some much-needed training, I still have very mixed feelings about being in the reserves. It's just NOT the Army I grew up on.

Obviously, we're ALL in for a change with the new administration. But I guess all my 'fond memories' of when I was active duty have had to give way to the reality that the reserves are slack, and even many active duty units and assignments (like down here at Ft. Huachuca) are NOT the same as they used to be. It's a whole new military - and not only because of the war. I'm amazed at some of the attitudes young private "E-nothings" have down here... but then again, we don't even call them "privates" any more... whatever.

I'm not saying "different = bad" but .... for me it is. I'll be out for good at my earliest opportunity, and I'll stick to training civilians. Perhaps Mr. Obama may serve a purpose for me yet?

Either way, thanks for your service and your consideration of coming back for more. Blessings and favor on you for your willingness to serve, whether you return or not.

P-Monkey, I served 4 years Active in the Army, followed by about 6 years Army National Guard, followed by about 4 years Army Reserves. That was Long, LONG ago. Then - at the tail-end of VietNam - the Guard was a haven for many VietNam avoiders at the one end, and those who couldn't qualify for the Active military at the other. Just imagine! At that time, the best of the three I experienced was by far the Reserves. I was a Reserve Drill Sgt., and it was the most rewarding, gratifying thing I think I ever did.

In the fullness of time, and with the clarity of hindsight, if I had it to do all over as you do now, I'd elect either the Navy or Marine Reserves.

In 1965, at 17, I was, uhmm, "finessed" into joining the Army Security Agency. If I'd enlisted in the Marines, or at least hooked up with some ass-kicking unit in the Army, I'd probably still be in.

Good luck, whatever you decide. Please let us know . . . and Thanks, Brother!

Last edited:

I just checked with an Army recruiter. Currently you need a minimum score of 31 as long as you're a HS graduate. If you have a GED you need a minimum of 50. The "16 or over with a Cat4 waiver" applies only to National Guard Units and only if they have slots available.

gf

Thanks all for the kinda words of advice.

I also have been out for about 12 years, and am much wiser to all of the shannigans (sp?) that alot of the recruiters like to pull. I've even had to show them some of the Army regs to come back in for prior service. They just don't get very many of "us". :blink:

I am taking my time, and being very careful with my decision. I also plan on making a visit to the unit that I would be joining and asking questions to the perm staff.

Thank You, Sir...

I know that what ever you decide, It will be correct. I still have to say..
Semper Fi Brother, Thank you for your service.

I just checked with an Army recruiter. Currently you need a minimum score of 31 as long as you're a HS graduate. If you have a GED you need a minimum of 50. The "16 or over with a Cat4 waiver" applies only to National Guard Units and only if they have slots available.

gf

Is that so? How F**** is that Glock. I just talked to them the other day and they told me 50 no matter what lol. I will have to call them again and talk with them. Yeah the Cat4 wavier is ok if you don't care about money. By taking it you sign away your enlistment money as well as a few other things. I was turned off by the whole system just way to much BS. Like being told by the SSGT i can join for two year ( that's true) go to basic come back wait a year and then go back and do my AIT. I cant be deployed till my AIT is done and ( True) by that time my two years would be up. Or the fact that every test after the ASVAB is open book tests. Just way to much bull crap for me. Passed every thing ended up needing a med wavier as i hate doctors and after 6 times of taking my PB could not get it down. Got home took it and it was norm so i got my wavier just had to put the john hand on the line and say i do. I walked away and did not look back till the last few months or so been looking at it more and more.

This is the E-mail i got back from the Army last week.

AFQT on the ASVAB needs to be 50 and above unless you are a prior service member who had WTC or PLDC completed. We still have 92G, 92W and 21E. As far as not getting phone calls to join, you call me when you want to sit down for an appointment. You seem like someone who is doing their reserch, and if all you want to do is check your options, be my guest. When it comes down to making a decision, then call me, and I'll help you from there.

SFC Johnathan R. Normand
NHARNG, R&R Command
174 Heater Road
Lebanon, NH 03766

But!!!!

S&WM&P40,
Don't mean to get your blood pressure even higher than it already is, but failing to meet enlistment quotas the U.S. Army is waiving past minor criminal records of enlisted wanna-be's if they were not felons. Meaning when the U.S. invaded Iraq per GWB if you had been busted for a joint at 18, at 19 you were not even eligible to take the ASVAB part let alone hit reception station or even start BCT! The AIT even for an infantryman is only a honing school, albeit an essential one to produce a well trained 11B10. 8 weeks of BCT gives you just enough training for 11-Bush basic, ground-pounder. It still places U in the IRR (deployable) even if not deployed or trained to AIT standards. AIT is a luxury full of TOW's, commo, mines, BFV's and advanced infantry tacticts. The shake & bake boot camp for 'Nam-era 11-Bushes was 8 weeks and deploy, seems if you can shoot, move and follow orders you are fit to fight, but not equipped/trained to survive very long.

Canis-Lupus

S&WM&P40,
Don't mean to get your blood pressure even higher than it already is, but failing to meet enlistment quotas the U.S. Army is waiving past minor criminal records of enlisted wanna-be's if they were not felons. Meaning when the U.S. invaded Iraq per GWB if you had been busted for a joint at 18, at 19 you were not even eligible to take the ASVAB part let alone hit reception station or even start BCT! The AIT even for an infantryman is only a honing school, albeit an essential one to produce a well trained 11B10. 8 weeks of BCT gives you just enough training for 11-Bush basic, ground-pounder. It still places U in the IRR (deployable) even if not deployed or trained to AIT standards. AIT is a luxury full of TOW's, commo, mines, BFV's and advanced infantry tacticts. The shake & bake boot camp for 'Nam-era 11-Bushes was 8 weeks and deploy, seems if you can shoot, move and follow orders you are fit to fight, but not equipped/trained to survive very long.

Canis-Lupus

Not following what is this post about? Is this in Re to the post that i said what the SSGT told me about not being able to be deployed with out AIT? If so lol yeah i know. She was full of crap. As for the Raising my PB not going to happen unless your a doctor. I don't have a PB Problem at all it's fine. I have what they call "White coat hypertension" Something to do with when i was a kid.

"White coat hypertension is a phenomenon in which patients exhibit elevated blood pressure in a clinical setting but not in other settings.[1] It is believed that this is due to the anxiety some people experience during a clinic visit."

Well, just want to give everyone an update....I'm just a bit closer to pulling the trigger on rejoining up in the Reserves, but it will most likely be the Army Reserves.

I plan on choosing 37F as my MOS (Psy Ops).

I'll let you know when/if everything gets done at MEPS!

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back