THIN 9mm

Well thnx for the info on the PT111 9mm from TAURUS gvaldeg1.
This is all good info for some of us who want to know which gun is small/thin.
Some are saying that the guns mentioned on here because they are small have more of a recoil while others are saying they do not? I'm kind of lost here....

Sambo,

Recoil is subjective, like so many other things in our lives, is precieved differently from one person to another. Example:
I was recently helping a friend during the Texas Concealed Handgun Course and he asked me to be his range officer for the handgun qualification portion of the training. There were several women, one who was probably 75lbs soaking wet, in size and about 35years old. She had bought all she could afford to qualify with, a Hi Point semi auto pistol, in 9mm. During the qualification she had numerous problems with the gun feeding and was about to give up when I offered her my Kel-Tec PF-9. She finished the qualifications without any other problems and thanked me for letting her use the "great little gun". She asked me where she could get one and I told her where I had bought mine. There were quite a few folks looking at the gun and one guy asked to shoot it. I handed it to him and he emptied the mag and handed it back to me. He said that he liked the gun but that if kicked too much for him and he would stay with his Beretta .380. This guy was about 6' 2" and must have weighed afound 225- 250. Another guy shot the gun next and he liked it but wanted a larger capacity gun. I did not bring my P-11 but I told him about it.
If you can find a range that rents guns, I would suggest you try them on for size, that being said I highly recommend the Kel-Tecs.

tex45acp

I have the Kel-Tec PF-9 also, and though it is a handful, you'd hardly notice the recoil at the point of a SHTF situation. But for a thin and easy to carry 9mm, it certainly qualifies. And it is less than $300.

There is another alternative for a thin 9mm. The HK P7 line. They are expensive, but high quality, safe, and reliable. The P-cocker design is the safest way to carry locked and loaded, bar none. The price is from around $600 for a PSP, to as high as $2300 or more for some of the P7M8s and P7M13s.:eek:

I just bought one of the PSP models. They are a marvel of engineering, but a little on the heavy side when compared to the KT PF-9.:cool:

Last edited:
Generally speaking, given the same caliber and same round, a smaller lighter gun will have more recoil. The weight of the gun helps to absorb recoil. As someone else mentioned, recoil is subjective. If the gun doesn't fit well in you hand, it won't be easy to control, but you may be willing to compromise on that for a gun that is more concealable. See if you can find a range that has rentals and try a few guns ranging from sub-compact 9mm up to 45ACP. That should give you an idea of how the different sizes and calibers compare.

The right gun may depend more on your carry situation than what shoots the best. If you absolutely must carry completely concealed all the time then size is an important criteria. Concealability is not a huge thing here in TN so I'll carry what feels good and not worry so much if someone notices I'm carrying.

Thnx for MORE of the feedback! My entire thing would be a 9mm to CONCEAL during the Hot months when I'll be wearing less clothing, say...maybe just shorts and shirt or no shirt, something that will fit right in my pants pocket. Seems the KelTech fits the picture, along with MY budget. I do not belong or go to any ranges. My shooting is done out back. BUT, with that being said, I am going to FL in a couple of weeks and I'll be at one or two ranges one of those days I'm out there and will have to look to try their rentals.
* the HiPoint 9mm mentioned, I have one and have no problem with it other than it is big and bulky and uuuugggglllyyy! I use it as My Other carry gun when not using the PT25 (TAURUS).

I'll probably buy a small Kel-Tec 380 for summer time concealed carry. It's about the only thing I've seen that totally disappears under summer cloths. If you use an IWB holster you can make a larger gun disappear, but I find them uncomfortable and harder to draw from. The 380 disappears in just about any pocket. My wifes Kahr CW9 comes close but still a little to big to hide wearing shorts and a light T-shirt.

Glock 26 (9mm) - enough said.

Although I will say just a few more things. I mainly carry a Glock 30SF (.45 ACP) but occasionally my Glock 19 (9mm). If I were going to carry a small/thin 9mm I would go with the Glock 26. It's very nicely sized and designed specifically for CC. It also carries 10+1, which is nice.

Well thnx for the info on the PT111 9mm from TAURUS gvaldeg1.
This is all good info for some of us who want to know which gun is small/thin.
Some are saying that the guns mentioned on here because they are small have more of a recoil while others are saying they do not? I'm kind of lost here....

You're welcome for the info. If you are a little lost on the issue of recoil, I wrote a ballistics calculator program which Luke has incorporated in the resources section of this site. Just mouse over the "RESOURCES" tab and click on "Ballistics Calculator". You can enter the data for your cartridge and gun (Bullet weight, Bullet velocity, Powder weight, and Gun weight) and click on the calculate button. The program will calculate Muzzle energy, Recoil velocity, and Recoil energy. I'm sure that you know about Muzzle energy. Generally speaking you need values above 200 foot pounds for self defense. (Bullet design and a myriad of other factors come in to play but generally, about 200 foot pounds is considered the realistic minimum.) As for recoil, which you were concerned about, recoil velocities of about 20 feet per second and above start feeling a little unpleasant for sustained shooting and recoil energies of about 8 to 10 foot pounds start to feel a little brisk.

No, I think I'm all set on the recoil thing. With it being mentioned a few times on here (different views) I thought I was going to be in for a surprise! The three handguns I'm firing give different recoils, so I can get the feeling of the different size, caliber, etc. I'll check the chart out though since I have't seen it.

I have the the Keltec PF11, the PF9 and the Kahr PM9. My first choice for carry is the PM9, light, thin, dependable and sweet chooting, very concealable. The PF11 is a little bigger but also a first choice. The PF9 is a bit of a handfull, but definately not uncontrollable. I just got a Milt Sparks VM11 for the Kahr and believe it is an unbeatable value and piece of work. The 2 together IMHO are the perfect answer to concealed carry. Understand this is my choice and my opinion. Many guys want .45, Glock is it for some guys. (not being critical, but I have yet to pick up any Glock in any caliber and for myself consider it an everyday carry.) They really are a great weapon, but I just can't get aron their size when talking concelaed.....Anyway, try them all out, consider what you want to spend and go accordingly. With the weapons mentioned I don't think there was a bad one mentioned......

For serious caliber carry, the 1911 platform is still a winner, I've had a HK USP, Taurus PT92, PT140, Glock 22, RUGER P91DC, and while most of these are considered service arms the 1911 is still slender for a full caliber arm. I know that any gun beats no gun, but if you are parting with your hard earned cash, and want something to protect your LIFE, your caliber should start with a 4, I'm not a mouse, therefor no mouse guns for me. IMHO

I just picked up a Walther PPS with the intensions of using it as a back up, carry when I don't want to carry the .45 gun. After getting it home and actually comparing it side by side (something I didn't do at the store) it's really not that small of a gun. I think it's a great addition to my collection but it's not a small pocket gun. Here's a few comparison photo's.

Compared to my FNP9 full size 9mm
3263295182_51b128bd90.jpg

3262467057_12ab34f6b6.jpg

Compared to my Kimber Ultra Carry II it's about the same size, just a bit thinner. Haven't weighed it but it is lighter.

3262489725_9d119e1376.jpg

3262491297_557461c54b.jpg

Well, I did it! Bought today the KelTec PF9 for under $300. . Fired two mags through it off of my deck out back. Came with only one magazine but I ordered an extra which will be in this thursday at the store. Magazine holds only 7 rounds. I could not get 7 rounds in just yet only 6. VERY tight.
Gun shop had a RUGER 380 (don't remember the model#) that was even smaller then the 9 for an extra $35. but I told him I was more interseted in the 9mm.
I made the RIGHT choice for what I wanted and now I'm the new owner of a KelTec PF9. :dance3:

Well, I did it! Bought today the KelTec PF9 for under $300. . Fired two mags through it off of my deck out back. Came with only one magazine but I ordered an extra which will be in this thursday at the store. Magazine holds only 7 rounds. I could not get 7 rounds in just yet only 6. VERY tight.
Gun shop had a RUGER 380 (don't remember the model#) that was even smaller then the 9 for an extra $35. but I told him I was more interseted in the 9mm.
I made the RIGHT choice for what I wanted and now I'm the new owner of a KelTec PF9. :dance3:

Congrats...Enjoy

I bought the first PPS .40 that came into a close by dealer, but not a first edition. First Edition may have been only 9mm. Mine has 750 good rounds or so and I carry it regularly in a DMBullard Dual Carry holster IWB tuckable at the 4:00 position. Its slim and I can literally forget its there. Glad I went with the 40, since it has the same dimension as the 9mm. Price has also come down since I bought mine. I'm happy. I also wanted a slim single stack, to fit with the semi-dress and dress clothes I have to wear.

Thin 9MM

I went thru the exact same thing you are going thru - I got tired of lugging my G23 around - too thick, too heavy - great weapon, but too much for all day carry.

I'm 6', 215#, with a bit of a belly, not big, but too much. I tried them all and chose the Keltec PF9-I love it. I put 200 rounds thru it the 1st time out - yes, it kicks more than the G23, but I still put all 8 rounds in an area about 5-6" across at 20-25' - slow, fast, right or left hand - it was aching after 125 rounds, but this was all done within about 45 minutes.

Oh, I added the factory S/S belt clip - you can see it on their web site - worth the $15 - gives me a GREAT ISP carry at 5 o'clock and I carry all the time now - ocassionally still use a holster - but the clip is number one with me.

Bottom line, try them all at the stores - you will see that the Kahr, Taurus, etc are all thick and heavy. I also use the Corbon 115G JHP +P rounds - since they recommend that +P not be used all the time, I load the 1st one as +P, then every other round is +P

Hope this helps

Cruzerguy ( with a PF9 )

Yes, I saw the little S/S clip thing that goes on the gun and clips onto your belt/wastband but they didn't have any for the PF9. Said he would get some in. I'll check it out again when I go there thrusday to pick up extra mags. For the holster, right now it fits very well in my DeSantis pocket holster, the one I carried my Taurus PT25 in. I'll pick up one of those clips and also check around for a holster to fit it. I'll do a seach thingy on here and look around for a holster (also Their website).
Thank you All!

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back