They tried to rob me!

I wish that those gun grabbing Bradys would see more stories like this. But then again I'm guessing that nothing like this has ever happened to them or their loved ones and that's why they don't want anyone to have guns.

Right on for taking the upper hand, and further justifying the self defense aspect by letting them know that they weren't ready for what could happen. my glock gives kudos as well

A little update.....

Well, the bad news is that the punks were not found, although I had already surmised that with the twenty minute response time.

The other bad news is that I was misinformed about the necessity of an appointment for fingerprints here in the lovely city of New Haven. I was misinformed..... twice! :rolleyes:

The other other bad news is that I received a copy of the police report. It is interesting to compare what I told the officer with what he heard:

Me: "I clearly told the young men "Come on, guys, you do not want to do this." I said it three times, and when they aggressively moved toward me, I "bladed" my body and feigned a draw."

What he heard: I bladed my body, pretended to grab a gun, and said "Both of you don't want none of this!"

Momentarily disregarding the grammatical travesty that is that statement, it is interesting to see the significant difference in those two accounts. Had I actually drawn a firearm, and been forced to utilize it for my own protection, the difference could potentially be life changing when relayed to a jury.

Of course, were that to happen, I already KNOW that I would not have said anything to the police until AFTER lengthy consultation with my attorney. Of course, all the smart folks on this forum already knew that, right? RIGHT?!?

I find myself posting this darn video every few months, put it is STILL one of the most pertinent and effective sources on the subject of talking to the police. You really owe it to yourself to watch this video, ESPECIALLY if you carry a firearm.

YouTube - Dont Talk to Police

Another update.....

Well, I am still w a i t i n g . . . . . . .

I compared notes with a woman from the dog park who submitted her paperwork the same day that I did..... but in a town about 15 miles north of New Haven. She received her permit in two weeks.
:shout:

Final update for this thread......

I received a call to pick up my carry permit today. Almost three months, start to finish. Let me add that New Haven has an interview process, as well as the ridiculous paperwork.

During our little chat, the detective asked me if I owned any guns. Being that she and I were chatting in the hallway, and also assuming that she knows that I am a former LEO, I answered "Yeah, I brought a couple." Still in that conversational tone (you know, the one that gun folks use with each other when they are discussing their "powder babies") she asked "What kind?" I told her all about my S&W .357 with the cool Crimson Trace grips, and also my Steyr .40 with the cool trapezoidal sights.

Her eyebrow arches up, and she asks me if they are registered. For a microsecond, before my brain kicked in, I thought that I was in serious trouble. Finally, after the miniature adrenaline dump, I simply said "No." (It just goes to show you that one should never, ever provide more information to the police than the law obligates one to do.)

She then stated that handgun registration was required upon receipt of my permit. She also, very helpfully, offered to go ahead and register my firearms right away. When pressed, she admitted that registration was not "technically" legally required, but that it was in my best interest in case any of my guns were stolen. :mad:

It really pisses me off when LEO's knowingly lie about the law. All the more reason to know it yourself and stand on your rights.

Anyway, there you have it; almost three months from application to receipt. At least I can walk my dog in the park with a decent chance of defending myself should my two young acquaintances decide to try to roust me again.

I received a call to pick up my carry permit today. Almost three months, start to finish. Let me add that New Haven has an interview process, as well as the ridiculous paperwork.

During our little chat, the detective asked me if I owned any guns. Being that she and I were chatting in the hallway, and also assuming that she knows that I am a former LEO, I answered "Yeah, I brought a couple." Still in that conversational tone (you know, the one that gun folks use with each other when they are discussing their "powder babies") she asked "What kind?" I told her all about my S&W .357 with the cool Crimson Trace grips, and also my Steyr .40 with the cool trapezoidal sights.

Her eyebrow arches up, and she asks me if they are registered. For a microsecond, before my brain kicked in, I thought that I was in serious trouble. Finally, after the miniature adrenaline dump, I simply said "No." (It just goes to show you that one should never, ever provide more information to the police than the law obligates one to do.)

She then stated that handgun registration was required upon receipt of my permit. She also, very helpfully, offered to go ahead and register my firearms right away. When pressed, she admitted that registration was not "technically" legally required, but that it was in my best interest in case any of my guns were stolen. :mad:

It really pisses me off when LEO's knowingly lie about the law. All the more reason to know it yourself and stand on your rights.

Anyway, there you have it; almost three months from application to receipt. At least I can walk my dog in the park with a decent chance of defending myself should my two young acquaintances decide to try to roust me again.

As usual, I am continually amazed at how difficult they make it for RESIDENTS to get permits in states like Connecticut and Massachusetts yet non-residents get essentially shall-issue treatment. Not that I am complaining at all for me, as I live in Maryland and anything close to shall issue elsewhere is a godsend. Sometimes I cannot make heads or tails of Connecticut gun laws; my favorite being the "selective fire" laws that clearly someone who had no understanding of firearms wrote. They have a sort of 'conservative' attitude on CCW yet asinine 'assault weapons' laws. Go figure.

Interesting Turn of Events

Boomboy, we have to get together sometime - do you hunt also?

I'm surprised by the requirement for an interview, but that is what happens when the state lets the locals interfere in a state process, I guess. Even in Madison, where they required letters of reference from 3 persons (which i wrote of course, how stupid are they?) there was no interview required. Although i did get on a first name basis with the detective who was in charge of the initial "determination of suitability" while waiting for him to get done investigating so many of his fellow officers and even his boss.

Link Removed

Anyway, once you go to Middletown for your plastic card, the hassles are over. Well, at least as long as you stay within the state boundaries. I'm still waiting for my NH non-res permit - more than 6 months - and i can't cross into Mass without stopping to unload and secure my pistol. Because, like nearly all other permit holders, i obey the law no matter how i feel about it.

Anyway, i shoot at Chris's Indoor range in Guilford from time to time, and outdoors at the DEP range in Glastonbury. Send me a PM if you're interested.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back