The VA and Military Sexual Abuse

gdcleanfun

Banned
I registered at the VA clinic here in town a few weeks ago, and yesterday, had my initial visit with one of the doctors. I have no service-related medical issues. Rather, it was a "get-to-know-you" visit. Near the end of the "interview," one of the questions asked of me was if I had any military sexual abuse. I'm lucky enough to say that I've never had any type of sexual abuse, military or otherwise. But the question is definitely a sign of the times. I was told that the doctor asks the same question of the men. It's a nerve-wracking subject and I'm so sorry for that, but I agree that it needs to be asked of both sexes! Sometimes the doctor gets affirmative answers from the men as well as from the women. Abuse is abuse is abuse, no matter the victim, no matter the circumstances. I am both angry and sad. I know a few people, both men and women, who have been victimized. I also know someone who's been falsely accused. Life sucks! I feel like being a hermit today!

Yes GD, the question was ask of me last year after at the first visit. Also on the same questionaire was a question about whether or not I had access to firearms. A sign of the times..

It is a sad fact that 24% of females and 10% of the males coming back from the wars are reporting they were sexually abused by comrades. And that is only the reported cases. When my book "Honor Betrayed: Sexual Abuse In America's Military" was released last year I thought the mass media would want to let the public know what is being done to our troops, but I was wrong. Even when I was interviewed on the topic by reporters their editors would cut the story claiming the topic wasn't "newsworthy."

It is a sad fact that 24% of females and 10% of the males coming back from the wars are reporting they were sexually abused by comrades. And that is only the reported cases. When my book "Honor Betrayed: Sexual Abuse In America's Military" was released last year I thought the mass media would want to let the public know what is being done to our troops, but I was wrong. Even when I was interviewed on the topic by reporters their editors would cut the story claiming the topic wasn't "newsworthy."

It's pretty newsworthy to the 24% and 10% and their families and loved ones and those who care otherwise, which pretty much makes all of us! How can I find a copy of your book?

I found it.

I wonder what the statistics are for what happens to our military, sexual or otherwise, and suicide rates? Would that be what it takes to be newsworthy? Keep promoting your book! It's more than needed, it's way, way, WAY! overdue!

Thanks for your encouraging words.

Thanks for you words of encouragement. I have all but given up trying to get this topic addressed. I am now putting my energy into trying to find a publisher for my manuscript on the spirituality of Jesus before there was Christianity.

Honor Betrayed

I just finished reading this book. OMG! This is the review that I published on Amazon.com:

"Honor Betrayed is quite an informative book, but also a bit of a difficult read. It is not difficult because of the "taboo" subject, rather, because of the wealth of information provided that brings this subject into the spotlight. It's difficult to "take it all in!" Dr. Hunter deals with this topic with understanding and compassion. Because of the amount of evidence provided, the subject of sexual harassment and abuse is overwhelmingly and irrefutably documented and validated by both men and women of all branches of the military, going back to incidences of honor betrayed before WWII and outlining those that are reported still during the present wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Do you deny that harassment and abuse occur? Do you deny that it happens still, today? Do you deny that it could ever occur to you? Or you? Think again!"

Many Thanks

Hey, thanks for the great review. Whenever I read a story about vets and suicide I write the reporter and ask if they thought about how the issue of sexual abuse may impact the suicide rate, but no a single one has ever written back. Thanks again.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back