The Tueller 21 foot rule...Knife wins, Gun loses.

I got to say if I got out of a cruiser on this guy it would have been with my riot shotgun so that i know I could drop him within a few feet...Yes he still may have cut me, but I can guarantee he would be missing some major organs from the buck shoot his torso would have taken.

Yep. Horrible camera work.

"I turned sideways and eased my carry by my side and hammered back."

So, you have to cock the hammer before you can fire?

I'm guessing 06 has a 1911. Then again, the lesser the trigger pull, the lesser low and to the left the first shot may be.

Hoganbeg, "-06
"I turned sideways and eased my carry by my side and hammered back."

So, you have to cock the hammer before you can fire? "
Normally I carry an old Makarov while working or a Sig 232 when socializing-lol. Both are double action and do not require hammering back to fire. I got into the habit when carrying my Colt 1911. You can get a much more accurate shot by merely touching the trigger instead of tugging on it. My old Warthog is double action also but I parked it in favor of the lighter 380/9mm's. Getting lazy in my retirement--lol.

I have heard that even a 30 foot distance can barely be enough time to react to an attacker with a knife, whether it is drawing a firearm or just trying to get out of the path of attack.

The Tueller drill has been misinterpreted and bastardized by the media (shocking) for years. They have purported it to represent that the average cop or person should be able to stop the attack at 21 feet. The original study showed that 21 feet was simply the MINIMUM distance needed for the average test subject to draw their weapon, step offline of the attacker, and fire two rounds before they got "stabbed". The media has taken turned it into the myth of stopping the attacker, which unfortunately has been adopted over the years by a great number of judges attorneys, and juries.

The courts do not interpret my personnal safety only the aftermath, the police and courts are after the fact, 21' is a figure which I keep in mind and since no one has a tape measure in hand thats all I do with it.

This is why many agencies and many schools, like Front Sight in their 4-day Defensive Handgun class, train and drill you to be able to draw from concealed and put at least two shots into a thoracic size target in UNDER 1.5 seconds...

The Tueller drill has been misinterpreted and bastardized by the media (shocking) for years. They have purported it to represent that the average cop or person should be able to stop the attack at 21 feet. The original study showed that 21 feet was simply the MINIMUM distance needed for the average test subject to draw their weapon, step offline of the attacker, and fire two rounds before they got "stabbed". The media has taken turned it into the myth of stopping the attacker, which unfortunately has been adopted over the years by a great number of judges attorneys, and juries.

I agree. They have to draw the line somewhere. The time and distance variables will certainly vary depending on the attacker and the defender, assuming that the defender realizes he is the defender!

This is why many agencies and many schools, like Front Sight in their 4-day Defensive Handgun class, train and drill you to be able to draw from concealed and put at least two shots into a thoracic size target in UNDER 1.5 seconds...
"From concealed" being the operative term. When Sergeant Dennis Tueller invented the Tueller Drill, it was designed for trained police officers drawing from duty holsters on their hips, not for average citizens, most of whom have little or no training, drawing from concealment. 21 feet won't be enough for those citizens, not even close for most of them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back